Medical insurance and E1 11 in Spain

bendyone

Visit site
Heard from a GP who just seen someone who has come back from Spain who was refused treatment using his E1 11 card. Although illegal and probably due to language problems it happened. Probably Spain trying to save money.

Anyone else had any problems?

Wansworth

Visit site
I have come across some Brits who have bought a house out here and still drive a brit reg car.They can remain under the radar as long as the police dont see the car toon often.But if they do not become official residents they cannot recieve a medical card that is the key to access to the health service.With the crisis every avenue is being investigated to save cash.

PlanB

Visit site
Unless you can demonstrate that you are a bona fide tourist with an emergency, they have just started refusing free treatment to foreigners who have not registered with the local authorities.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Heard from a GP who just seen someone who has come back from Spain who was refused treatment using his E1 11 card. Although illegal and probably due to language problems it happened. Probably Spain trying to save money.

I don't believe they would refuse treatment to someone with the right card to save money - the money is refunded by the EU state that issued the card in the first place.

However, if you can't speak Spanish you can't expect the hospital to speak English. In the medical centre here there are volunteer translators who will come with you - otherwise its €30 to pay a private translator.

david36

Visit site

My understanding is that treatment with a valid EHIC card in many EU countries, including Spain, is limited to emergencies and that the understanding of what constitutes a medical emergency and how much treatment is strictly necessary is getting tighter although it does seem to vary from place to place. Many places in Spain and Portugal seem to be taking a pretty tough line, no doubt due to financial issues. On the other hand the private hospitals and clinics seem to be even more welcoming than ever - just bring Euros.
Fair winds.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
My understanding is that treatment with a valid EHIC card in many EU countries, including Spain, is limited to emergencies and that the understanding of what constitutes a medical emergency and how much treatment is strictly necessary is getting tighter although it does seem to vary from place to place. Many places in Spain and Portugal seem to be taking a pretty tough line, no doubt due to financial issues. On the other hand the private hospitals and clinics seem to be even more welcoming than ever - just bring Euros.
Fair winds.

Not true I'm afraid. This is from the NHS EHIC Website.

Each country’s healthcare system is slightly different. Therefore, your EHIC might not cover everything that would be free on the NHS. However, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting.

In some countries, you may have to pay a patient contribution, also known as a co-payment. See our county-by-country guide for more information.

You may be able to get a refund for these payments when you're back in the UK if you could not do so in the country where you were treated.

The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, for example because of either illness or an accident. (In an emergency you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone).
The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers.
It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, where the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby that is linked to the birth.
The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis. You will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider as these are not covered by the EHIC.
The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.

Downsman

Visit site
Info for what it's worth..
In 2010 I was bitten by a Mosquito which either had poor taste or just didn't like Brits. As a result I ended up with a list to Starboard trying to walk on a swollen leg, so caught a taxi up to Portimao hospital. Showed the EHIC card and a marina receipt as 'proof of address' and was seen by a very nice lady Doctor who gave me a prescription for king size anti-biotic pills.
At the hospital I paid a token fee to cover paperwork, less than 3 Euros I recall. Paid for the pills from the chemist later though...
PS. Don't anybody moan to me about NHS waiting times..by the time I got seen by a doctor I'd almost learned to speak Portugese..No complaints though, nice folk who sorted me out..:D

david36

Visit site
Not true I'm afraid. This is from the NHS EHIC Website.

OK, I accept that what you have quoted from the UK authorities is a fair copy, but now, in 2012, try convincing a Spanish public hospital to provide non emergency treatment etc to a non resident when they can not always provide necessay drugs or treatment to Spanish nationals due to lack of funds. I believe that you might have a bit of a problem even if you speak fluent Spanish. The same applies in Portugal. Hopefully none of us will ever need to try the system.
Fair winds.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
OK, I accept that what you have quoted from the UK authorities is a fair copy, but now, in 2012, try convincing a Spanish public hospital to provide non emergency treatment etc to a non resident when they can not always provide necessay drugs or treatment to Spanish nationals due to lack of funds. I believe that you might have a bit of a problem even if you speak fluent Spanish. The same applies in Portugal. Hopefully none of us will ever need to try the system.
Fair winds.

Yes, I take your point. Greece however is in a similar (probably worse) situation and the EHIC works as expected (and as intended) here. :)

Wansworth

Visit site
Well Valencia has run up some huge debits but people are still getting attention.Wife is a doctor and has no knowledge of problems,here in Galicia.With possibly over a million oldish enlish and other brits camped out here the Sapanish tax payer is subsidizing the NHS!!!!

Downsman

Visit site
Good job there's not many Germans or Russians in Spain then, otherwise you'd be subsidizing them as well...
lol-030.gif
lol-030.gif

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Where in Spain is that happening? Ie Spanish nationals being refused treatment?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19682049

Probably not so much as being refused treatment...just an example of difficulty they're having with supplies..
Sorry, but a link to a BBC report about the row about prescription charges in a chemists in Valencia doesn't show that Spanish nationals are being denied hospital treatment.

I would still like to know where that is happening.