Marine toilets on the East Coast

Aquaboy

Visit site
I think the 125's are some of the last ones which still do. Some have been upgraded (engines etc) but the mark 3 couches were more difficult to do or something. (I may have made that up....... sorry misspoke in the currant vernacular)

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Yep, the MkIII's (as were used on Norwich services) all did it... I ran the Ops said at Laira Depot in Plymouth when it was redeveloped for HST's. This included a "flushing apron" past the carriage washing machine. The smell around that area was always "special", and the state of trains coming in to be cleaned could be disgusting... (vomit, urine and faeces in public areas not just the toilets)

stuey_two

Visit site
While the train is in the station, please refrain from urination,
have respect for railway property.

If you feel you must pass water, go and ask a railway porter,
he'll direct you to a lavatory

If you feel you must go heavy and the train is stationary,
don't drop your load upon the train.

On the platform you must wander, there a penny you must squander
to relieve yourself with might and main.

To be sung to a tune that I remember well but it's name escapes me!

johnalison

Visit site

Men of Harlech?

michael_w

Visit site
My father used to mutter a version that went:
'Please refrain from urination whilst the train is in the station, It annoys the station master so.
We encourage constipation whilst the train is in the station.'

PeterBoater

Visit site

Dvorak - Humoresque

Hydrozoan

Visit site
They might take out paper, nappies, tampons, condoms, etc, but the poo still gets dumped at sea.

I have written on sewage treatment and CSOs here: https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?th...n-the-eu-prevents-or-not.544313/#post-7242325. You may find it - and the links given - interesting, if you have not already seen it. On sewage treatment in general, I believe that essentially all of our UK STWs have primary and secondary treatment, and many have tertiary treatment as well. To imply that only the paper etc. gets taken out is very misleading.

CSOs (to which links in your later post allude) represent a difficult problem because of the mixed nature (surface water and foul) of our sewer systems, a fact of history. The choices - both hugely expensive - for addressing the CSO problem completely would be (i) to rip up the roads in large parts of our towns and cities and rebuild the drainage systems to separate surface water and foul drainage entirely, and/or (ii) to increase massively the capacity of STWs to store and treat the much greater volume flows during storms - also difficult and expensive, not least because of limited land availability adjacent to existing works.

RupertW

Visit site
We are not on the East coast but the only real difference to our regime is that we anchor often in bays that we and others swim In so a holding tank is essential especially if staying for a few days. We rarely use marina loos and never use marina showers but instead use our our boat ones - it’s our floating home and we wouldn’t take a walk down the street from our house on land to public loos either.

Waste gets dumped at sea, so it’s only in our last night at our base marina that we tend to use the marina loos for crapping.

sailorman

Visit site
Having a holding tank is a great convenience, especially when staying in a marina. Pump-out stations on the East Coast are few and far between, so most people empty holding tanks when well away from civilisation. If you're fitting a holding tank, fit the biggest one you have room for, and try to plumb it so that you can empty the loo either directly to sea or into the holding tank.

We follow the Greek tradition of not putting toilet paper in the boat toilet, and have never had any problems with holding tanks.
Anglisn water pump out just above the orwellbridge on the nkrth bank.panty liners float down tpowoolverstone.

johnalison

Visit site
I assume that like all considerate dog owners you then get your polythene bag & pick it up & wander along swinging it around as you go, to show that you would not leave such filth behind ;)
I can’t remember writing that. Nor can I ever remember leaving a deposit behind a bush, if only because bushes are seldom fitted with loo-roll holders. I think that I must have had yellow deposit in mind when I wrote it and got myself into a muddle. I like the idea of sporting a faecal bag when walking, if only to scare off other walkers.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
For those that have holding tanks how are you emptying them at sea. How are you emptying them out ?