Making my own rigging with Norseman fittings

DownWest

Visit site
I use S3i, good prices and they will do the swaged ends reasonably on one end, leaving you to 'Norseman' the other, or just sell the wire.
I rerigged a big ketch with Norseman, 12mm wire. All went easily. Not cheap... but you have the ends, so just the cones. Think Stayloc cones are re-usable.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I use S3i ...
Thanks - I've just ordered a 100m reel from them. I actually only need a bit under 60m, but this gives me scope to make a mistake, spare for the future or maybe just a "For sale" item here once the mast has stayed up for a bit.

Norseman cones were harder, because although they are available, nobody seems to keep many. I have bought the entire stock from both Jimmy Green and Allspars, which again gives me a small margin for error and future spares.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Failure. Complete, miserable failure. I have spent all afternoon and evening trying to make a Norseman join, with no success at all. The blood has more or less dried up (no kidding) but it's clear I don't have the skills required to do this, let alone to do it to a standard to which I would trust my life and that of my crew.

Anyone want 100m of wire rope and 19 Norseman 5mm cones?

ctva

Visit site
Failure. Complete, miserable failure. I have spent all afternoon and evening trying to make a Norseman join, with no success at all. The blood has more or less dried up (no kidding) but it's clear I don't have the skills required to do this, let alone to do it to a standard to which I would trust my life and that of my crew.

Anyone want 100m of wire rope and 19 Norseman 5mm cones?
Don’t give up. I did mine with Stayloc on the forestay last year. Watch some videos. The one by Project Aticus is really good and clear. I used an off cut of wire to practice. With that I was able to splay the wires which takes time to do but is so worth it, then the cone slides in and out with the wire self winding.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Don’t give up. I did mine with Stayloc on the forestay last year. Watch some videos. The one by Project Aticus is really good and clear. I used an off cut of wire to practice. With that I was able to splay the wires which takes time to do but is so worth it, then the cone slides in and out with the wire self winding.
Thanks.

I've just returned from the workshop where in 30 minutes I made a perfect looking join, using the method shown in the series of short videos starting at
(wondertime).

The trick was to unlay a LOT more outer than the illustration I was following suggested, and just springing it out of the way rather than bending it. Reforming the lay was a wee bit fiddly bot not rocket science and it all went together beautifully.

Of course that may be the only good one I ever do, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic now. Only thirteen to go, if I get the lengths right ...