Lewmar Steering Gear Failure

db631018

Visit site
Hi

Has anyone had a problem with Lewmars Custom Cobra Steering gear base unit? (this is the casting that holds the sprocket on the end of the steering arm in place)

On our Bavaria 37 the cast ali gear base unit has totally sheared off its mountings on either front corner giving us pleny of practice with the emergency tiller!

Would be good to know if anyone has had a simular problem?

overstag

Visit site
In The Netherlands there have been reported incidents as well. Also on Bavaria 37 cruisers from early 2005, if I recall.
My B37 is from November 2005. I had the base unit checked by the dealer and it had already been modified by the manufacturer.
Bavaria is aware of these problems and a retrofit unit is available on request.

Regards

db631018

Visit site
Hi

Many thanks for the info, I will follow it up with Bavaria.

For everyone elses info our boat is 2006 Bavaria 37 so if you have a simular age boat check it out with a dealer.

db631018

Visit site
EXCELLENT SERVICE FROM LEWMAR

A big well done to Lewmar, they have responded to my email before 0900 on a Monday morning and replaced the part FOC including overnight carrage to the Canary Islands!

For anyone with a simular boat there has been a enhancment made to the part where a steel rienforcing strap is mounted over the gear housing and I believe the new housing thickness has been increased. Lewmar state that all owners should have been notified about this upgrade by their dealers but I think the Peters Opal thing has meant a lot of people know nothing, maybe contacting Bavaria direct or any local dealer is the way forward.

jackho

Visit site
Is it possible to give more details maybe photo of this part. I have a B37 2006 and not quite sure where to look for this potential problem. Also thanks for sharing this issue with the forum.
Jackho

jpconvents

Visit site
Hi,

I search on the internet for problems with the steering system from lewmar.
Because i have also a problem with it.
The dealer say there are no problems?
I have a bavaria 33 from 2007 en the gearbox is also broken.
Can you tell me more if lewmar send the gearbox for free?