Kemp kicker problem

peter2407

Visit site
My Kemp kicker has stopped lifting, so the boom now needs to be held up using the main halyard as I don't have a topping lift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why, how to fix it or any pictures available so I can see how the thing works please? Have tried my various Nigel Calder books, and searched t'interweb but no joy.

dunedin

Visit site
Don't know the Kemp kickers, but my Selden Rod Kicker failed last week. It has a gas strut inside and I was disappointed to find the very expensive Selden gas strut appeared to be just painted ordinary steel - and a rusty mess after just 6 years.
Just replaced with a 316 grade stainless steel one at half the price. Dismantling and refitting for the Selden is very simple.

Can you pst any photos of your kicker that has failed?

peter2407

Visit site
Dunedin - thanks for the response. I will take a pic and post when I get down to the boat next time. Did you replace the whole kicker, or a component? What was the cost and supplier? Thanks again.

dunedin

Visit site
Dunedin - thanks for the response. I will take a pic and post when I get down to the boat next time. Did you replace the whole kicker, or a component? What was the cost and supplier? Thanks again.

I just replaced the gas strut inside the rod kicker. They after a shocking price from Selden (circa £200 or more depending on size) but I went for a stainless steel one from sgs-engineering.com. No knowledge of the company as was just a google search, but half the price, stainless rather than painted steel and 25 hours phone order to door ain't bad !

But yours may be a different type or different issue. Should be easy to disassemble for a look once you have the boom supported on a halyard.