KAD300 belt protector screen

bluetooth

Visit site
The green belt protector 'screen' doesn't make checking the belts easy as it has to be removed. I know some boats don't have these installed but my fairline targa 40 does as they are located at a prominent position in engine bay.
Had a recent belt issue which has prompted this consideration....

Has anyone heard of, seen or modified the screen such as cut small holes in the screen to allow a finger to test the various belt tensions without removing the screen?
NB. finger only to be used when engine not spinning!
NB2. Keep screen in place for overall protection (and belt dust if u want to add that)
NB3. Tbc!

Any helpful thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200811_220054.jpg
    20200811_220054.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 61

BruceK

Visit site
Pity. I wouldn't mind a set. Everytime I want to do something like check for boost pressure leakage I wimp out big time.

bluetooth

Visit site
I have permanently removed mine as they are tight to the bulkhead. Much easier for visual inspection and thumb test

What boat do you have?
And are u at risk of catching yourself if u have to go in engine bay?
I check the targa 40s for sale last night and they all have the screens in place. Keen to know if ant T40 owners have removed theirs.

RIN

Visit site
What boat do you have?
And are u at risk of catching yourself if u have to go in engine bay?
I check the targa 40s for sale last night and they all have the screens in place. Keen to know if ant T40 owners have removed theirs.

Its a jeanneau prestige 32. Its on shafts so the engine are under the lounge and butt right up to forward bulkhead. The picture shows them still fitted. Its not possible to stand in front of the engines, so quite safe.
20141020_133228.jpg

bluetooth

Visit site
So this is what i did to both KAD300 covers. When engines are OFF and i want to check tension of belts its now quite easy. I have also reduced the flange depth all around the cover which makes it easier to move the covers. On the T40 you have to wiggle them around the various pipes and seacocks to get full access to belts
.KAD300 cover modification.jpg

bluetooth

Visit site
Having inspected many boats with Kad300 I think i only seen these on Fairline Targa 40.

Is this a Fairline or a Volvo part? I would remove it completely so as to see the bells spinning.
I understand from comments above in the thread that it was a Fairline add on although there is an anchorage point to the front of the engine so maybe it was a manufacturing option.
Re T40s - there is a good reason for the covers to be there as when you go into engine room there would be a danger of getting clothing/body part caught by a spinning belt

LBRodders

Visit site
I thought it was good practice to check as a daily task (along with oils etc !) or at least be able to check easily

Looks like VP have it down as a 14 day check. Bit conservative for me that.

A robust belt, installed correctly is best left alone. Annual servicing should pick up any irregularities.

Although I agree, ease of access is not a bad thing, no matter what the frequency is.