Is anyone concerned about the inevitable French fishing boat anger.after Brexit.

dom

Visit site
Agree, as I said a while back

The counter argument being that we don't want to rip everything even remotely contentious out of this forum, thereby turning it in to a virtual padded cell for those of a nervous and unstable disposition.....

I very much doubt it will happen, but if there truly is an anti-British backlash by the French, then sailors are surely wise to discuss strategies in advance?

Visit site
The counter argument being that we don't want to rip everything even remotely contentious out of this forum, thereby turning it in to a virtual padded cell for those of a nervous and unstable disposition.....

I very much doubt it will happen, but if there truly is an anti-British backlash by the French, then sailors are surely wise to discuss strategies in advance?
Are you under the delusion that anything written on here could have the slightest effect in the real world ? :rolleyes:

dom

Visit site
Are you under the delusion that anything written on here could have the slightest effect in the real world ? :rolleyes:

The forum is certainly deteriorating of late, but sure, I have often taken advice on here with generally very good results. I've also sailed and raced with a surprisingly diverse range of posters and can only speak of good encounters - we have even won some events!

If that's delusional, then I'm all for it! :)

fisherman

Visit site
I talked with a Breton fisherman last year, he told me we get away with doing what we like. When i detailed the regs applied to us he was bouchefrapped.
Just to reiterate: any UK quota/licence is only available to a UK reg vessel.
Quotas are dished out to individual countries, which administer them as they see fit, and according to their own view of what is legally and morally correct.
Policing can be done by any appointed officer on any vessel.
Should any country decide to help themselves it would be a breach of international law.
My mate Jimbo has been told in le Guilvenec that if he turns up to land fish after any action to curtail French access, his catch is going in the harbour.
We don't expect any UK government to stand up to the EU on this.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I talked with a Breton fisherman last year, he told me we get away with doing what we like. When i detailed the regs applied to us he was bouchefrapped.
Just to reiterate: any UK quota/licence is only available to a UK reg vessel.
Quotas are dished out to individual countries, which administer them as they see fit, and according to their own view of what is legally and morally correct.
Policing can be done by any appointed officer on any vessel.
Should any country decide to help themselves it would be a breach of international law.
My mate Jimbo has been told in le Guilvenec that if he turns up to land fish after any action to curtail French access, his catch is going in the harbour.
We don't expect any UK government to stand up to the EU on this.

As long as they pay for it, I'm sure the Cap'n won't mind.

Visit site
The forum is certainly deteriorating of late, but sure, I have often taken advice on here with generally very good results. I've also sailed and raced with a surprisingly diverse range of posters and can only speak of good encounters - we have even won some events!

If that's delusional, then I'm all for it! :)
You are quite right. I was thinking only of French reaction.

Metabarca

Visit site

AndrewfromFal

Visit site

fisherman

Visit site
Are you sure about that? License, yes, but I'm pretty sure quota is traded freely by the POs. And there isn't really such a thing as 'UK quota', it covers an area of the sea.
Yes I'm sure. Otherwise, why do foreign fishing interests need to have UK companies and boats?
Fishermen are roundly accused of selling their fishing rights to foreign interests. 80% of UK fishermen are in the under ten metre sector, and are completely unable to sell any quota. Larger outfits can, but not to a non UK vessel. I would not style these big businesses as fishermen.

Reactions: dom