Inverter circuit breaker/fuse?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
The first chart is a great set of examples of what was mentioned in posts #15 and #16. As one example, top row, 250/300a needs 1/0 cable as a minimum, to carry the current. Yet the chart allows for as low as 4ga, which is only rated around 140a

You were right to question the manufacturer, those cheap end inverters come with stupid sized cables.

Nothing wring with crimping the terminal on, as long as you used a decent hydraulic crimper.
I had another look at the chart and I can see what you and Vic are getting at. AND I'll beef up the input leads to the inverter(y)

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'll never learn: I've done it again.:rolleyes:

I've just read the instructions for the Ozito Wet/Dry vacuum.

Apparently when you are sucking up water you are supposed to use a foam "jacket" to stop water getting on to the motor. (I've just ordered one)?

William_H

Visit site
Hello Clive re solar regulator I got a Victron MPPT locally at what what I consider to be a decent price. A local company if I remember correctly with a name like "antenna supplies" Quck search can't find them again however. It was just the smallest 15A one for $107 but a few years ago. really pleased with it and will do 24v system. Victron are quite well regarded on this forum. (Dutch comp[any bu this one made in India) ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Hello Clive re solar regulator I got a Victron MPPT locally at what what I consider to be a decent price. A local company if I remember correctly with a name like "antenna supplies" Quck search can't find them again however. It was just the smallest 15A one for $107 but a few years ago. really pleased with it and will do 24v system. Victron are quite well regarded on this forum. (Dutch comp[any bu this one made in India) ol'will
Thanks for that.

I do intend replacing the Chinese PWM controller (Sold as "MPPT")

I wonder if this is the MPPT controller you refer to? It is by ATEM POWER. It is only around $60 so I can't go far wrong.
20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Solar Panel Battery Regulator

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 09-09-00 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Solar Panel Battery Regulator.png

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site

A little more checking and I find I can buy an ATEM MPPT Controller for $A39.95 on eBay

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 12-10-38 ATEM POWER 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller PV Solar Panel B...png

William_H

Visit site
Hi Clive No the one I bought was a genuine Victron. I would have doubts that the ATEM is an actual MPPT regulator. They don't give a photo of the innards which must have a large coil to be MPPT. I reckon that would be PWM even though they claim stepped charging regime. Plenty of Victron suppliers around town by google but none quite as cheap. I would still recommend the Victron. ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Hi Clive No the one I bought was a genuine Victron. I would have doubts that the ATEM is an actual MPPT regulator. They don't give a photo of the innards which must have a large coil to be MPPT. I reckon that would be PWM even though they claim stepped charging regime. Plenty of Victron suppliers around town by google but none quite as cheap. I would still recommend the Victron. ol'will

OK William I'll take your advice.

Having been ripped off by crooked Chxxxxe manufacturers who make dodgy PWM controllers and then pass them off as MPPT Controllers I'm determined not to get caught out again.

I'll keep looking?

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site

Could this be the crowd you are thinking of?

INKEDScreenshot 2022-01-31 at 11-16-32 fake mppt controllers - Google Search.png

EP Solar EPEVER Triron Series Solar Charge Controller 20A TRIRON2210N

The cheapest Victron I can see there is $134 which I don't have a problem with.(But is only 10A)
Solar Controllers - Victron Energy

William_H

Visit site
Could this be the crowd you are thinking of?

View attachment 129574

EP Solar EPEVER Triron Series Solar Charge Controller 20A TRIRON2210N

The cheapest Victron I can see there is $134 which I don't have a problem with.(But is only 10A)
Solar Controllers - Victron Energy
Hello Clive Yes that is the company Access Antennas however that is not the controller I bought which was a Victron looks like the second from the left but much cheaper This is the one I bought Victron Energy MPPT Blue Solar Charge Controller 75/10
You might want the bigger one. Sets itself up for 12 or 24v system accepts 20 or 40 v panels the bigger models up to 100v input. (A sure sign of MPPT)
Yes I think I would recommend that or the bigger one for you. ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Hello Clive Yes that is the company Access Antennas however that is not the controller I bought which was a Victron looks like the second from the left but much cheaper This is the one I bought Victron Energy MPPT Blue Solar Charge Controller 75/10
You might want the bigger one. Sets itself up for 12 or 24v system accepts 20 or 40 v panels the bigger models up to 100v input. (A sure sign of MPPT)
Yes I think I would recommend that or the bigger one for you. ol'will

William

I think I'll go for a Victron 100/15.

They are cheaper on eBay from reputable eBay sellers so I thought about this one. It doesn't have Bluetooth so I presume I can't monitor the controller from my mobile phone. Is Bluetooth necessary ?

VICTRON MPPT BlueSolar Solar Charge Controller 100/15 100V 15A Out NO BLUETOOTH | eBay

Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 09-48-55 VICTRON MPPT BlueSolar Solar Charge Controller 100 15 100V 1...png

PaulRainbow

Visit site
William

I think I'll go for a Victron 100/15.

They are cheaper on eBay from reputable eBay sellers so I thought about this one. It doesn't have Bluetooth so I presume I can't monitor the controller from my mobile phone. Is Bluetooth necessary ?

VICTRON MPPT BlueSolar Solar Charge Controller 100/15 100V 15A Out NO BLUETOOTH | eBay

View attachment 129685

Without Bluetooth you have no way of seeing what the controller is doing or change any of its settings. I'd suggest you get a Smartsolar instead. Also, be sure that you won't fit more panels and take your setup above 15a. If you think you might, get a bigger controller.