Inogon or moire light

prv

Visit site
Can you tell whether the light marking the pipeline has the arrows directing mariners away from either side of the pipe i.e. < >, or do the arrows point towards the pipe i.e. > < as mentioned above?

You can see from the video - even from the thumbnail at the top of the thread - that they point inwards towards the pipeline.

Pete

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You can see from the video - even from the thumbnail at the top of the thread - that they point inwards towards the pipeline.

Pete

So it is directing mariners to anchor directly above the pipeline? Presumably when you get directly above the pipeline neither of the arrows are visible so you know that you are dead on target. I had assumed that the arrows we can see in the video are a visual effect caused by the video frame rate or something.

Not the sharpest knives in the drawer, these pipeline people. :encouragement:

Richard

Hoolie

Visit site
... ... ...
Not the sharpest knives in the drawer, these pipeline people. :encouragement:
Maybe if you buy one of these gizmos, that's how they come out of the box? Outward pointing arrows are a high-priced special order :)

Giblets

Visit site
Maybe an email to VTS asking what the light actually means as I suspect it relates to commercial vessels only and not leisure users. southamptonvts@abports.co.uk

Would this be the DIR.F.Y light shown on charts just upstream from the BP Terminal?

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
So it is directing mariners to anchor directly above the pipeline?

No, it’s indicating directly where the pipeline is so that you can avoid anchoring on it. The chart is very clear, and nothing about the light implies anchoring even to someone who hasn’t looked at the chart.

Why would you think otherwise?

Pete

prv

Visit site
Maybe an email to VTS asking what the light actually means as I suspect it relates to commercial vessels only and not leisure users. southamptonvts@abports.co.uk

What’s to ask? The chart clearly shows an oil pipeline, running between an oil refinery and an oil storage depot, in the middle of an area marked “no anchoring” and “no fishing”, with the directional light at one end of it.

The YouTube video is full of moronic comments because most YouTube commenters are morons, and hardly any of them know anything about the sea, but I’m baffled at why anyone here would be confused about any of this.

E6BD1B33-FB87-42A4-98DF-18636E2CAEAB.jpg

Pete

{151760}

Visit site
No reason .... other than that it's the most useless, imbecilic and idiotic piece of nonsensical thinking that I've ever come across at sea. ;)

Still, you pay peanuts .... you get monkeys, I suppose. :encouragement:

Richard

I agree that using it to mark a pipeline is a bit daft when a simple transit does the job well, but I can see applications for a moire light when approaching a narrow entrance, though I can't see how it's a great improvement on traditional methods.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I agree that using it to mark a pipeline is a bit daft when a simple transit does the job well, but I can see applications for a moire light when approaching a narrow entrance, though I can't see how it's a great improvement on traditional methods.

It seems a good solution in situations where it's difficult in terms of having available land for a rear transit marker that is going to be visible day and night, and won't be obscured by subsequent development, or machinery, boats ashore, lights, moving around, etc.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
No reason .... other than that it's the most useless, imbecilic and idiotic piece of nonsensical thinking that I've ever come across at sea. ;)

Still, you pay peanuts .... you get monkeys, I suppose. :encouragement:

Richard

Two thoughts.

The first being that it probably isn't aimed at boaters at all but is a completely accurate way for a dive boat to position itself exactly for inspection of the pipe by diver/camera/rov.

The other being that the very best way to not put your anchor on something is to know exactly where that thing is. The direction any arrow might point doesn't really matter.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Two thoughts.

The first being that it probably isn't aimed at boaters at all but is a completely accurate way for a dive boat to position itself exactly for inspection of the pipe by diver/camera/rov.

The other being that the very best way to not put your anchor on something is to know exactly where that thing is. The direction any arrow might point doesn't really matter.

But can you imagine the meeting where I present my plans for pipeline protection to the "Marine Authority":

Gentleman, I have two proposals for consideration - Option I is to erect a large white sign perpendicular to the line of the pipe. It will be obvious to all mariners that when they are directly in the forward plane of the sign that they are on the line of the pipe. For this I will charge £50 and, as a special deal, I'll even paint an upside down anchor or an anchor with a red line through it, on the sign .... whichever you prefer.

Option 2 is this new fangled moire sign thing which can displays directional arrows so that anyone who goes anywhere near the pipe line will see an arrow telling them which way to go to avoid the pipe. It's latest technology though, so I'm afraid that I'll have to charge £5,000 but it's a very limited market.

"Marine Authority": Right. We've given it some serious thought Mr S, and we'd like to go for the £5,000 special new technology sign ..... but we'd like to use it to mark the line of the pipe exactly as you would do with the £50 old technology no-anchoring sign.

Gentleman, your wish is my command. :encouragement:

Richard

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I don't think that I can agree on your huge white sign being as exact as the Inogon until I've tried one, so I'll be nipping up Southampton Water to have a look at it for myself when the boat's back in the water. I'll report back on how accurate it feels.

As for your meeting... jeez, you need some help. Your white board should be at least four large.

RobbieW

Visit site
What’s to ask? The chart clearly shows an oil pipeline, running between an oil refinery and an oil storage depot, in the middle of an area marked “no anchoring” and “no fishing”, with the directional light at one end of it....

Strictly, I believe there are (at least) two oil product pipelines under Southampton Water. One carries crude from Wych Farm to the BP terminal in Hamble, the other carries aviation fuel from Fawley to Heathrow. Of course, if there are more, you may be right but from what I know neither pipe connects refinery to depot. One or other of those pipes was an obstacle to opening up Southampton Port to larger vessels as the depth of the pipe was a problem for dredging the channel deeper.

I had often wondered what that curious display at the bottom of Ensign Way was all about, I'd assumed up to now that it was associated with the leading marks just offshore there - now I know better :)

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
But can you imagine the meeting where I present my plans for pipeline protection to the "Marine Authority":

Gentleman, I have two proposals for consideration - Option I is to erect a large white sign perpendicular to the line of the pipe. It will be obvious to all mariners that when they are directly in the forward plane of the sign that they are on the line of the pipe. For this I will charge £50 and, as a special deal, I'll even paint an upside down anchor or an anchor with a red line through it, on the sign .... whichever you prefer.

Option 2 is this new fangled moire sign thing which can displays directional arrows so that anyone who goes anywhere near the pipe line will see an arrow telling them which way to go to avoid the pipe. It's latest technology though, so I'm afraid that I'll have to charge £5,000 but it's a very limited market.

"Marine Authority": Right. We've given it some serious thought Mr S, and we'd like to go for the £5,000 special new technology sign ..... but we'd like to use it to mark the line of the pipe exactly as you would do with the £50 old technology no-anchoring sign.

Gentleman, your wish is my command. :encouragement:

Richard

Hardly new fangled, fitted at Sedish airport by 1982.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...AQAQ6AEISzAH#v=onepage&q=inogon light&f=false

Stork_III

Visit site
I didn't know they weren't known.

I was using the one at Shotley only yesterday - it's helpful in avoiding being swept out of the dredged channel in the approach to the marina by the tide (or overcompensating in the other direction).

I've just checked and Shotley's website refers to it (erroneously according to the video) as an Inogen light.

I've seen at least one somewhere else, but can't remember where.

Only in the Lock notes, correct in the Pilotage notes.

JohnMurrell

Visit site
From the Yachtsmen's guide to the Port of Southampton the light appears to be on the recommended course for crossing the main channel in a small craft. I can't find a mention of the light but the arrows on the display would make sense forming a leading line that allows the boat to offset it's course to compensate for the tidal stream which will be roughly at right angles to the crossing transit.

Details of the recommended safe crossing points can be seen in https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/Yachtsmans-guide-LowRes.pdf

The only thing against my theory is that one would have thought there would be more publicity for this aid for small vessel skippers.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
From the Yachtsmen's guide to the Port of Southampton the light appears to be on the recommended course for crossing the main channel in a small craft. I can't find a mention of the light but the arrows on the display would make sense forming a leading line that allows the boat to offset it's course to compensate for the tidal stream which will be roughly at right angles to the crossing transit.

Details of the recommended safe crossing points can be seen in https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/Yachtsmans-guide-LowRes.pdf

The only thing against my theory is that one would have thought there would be more publicity for this aid for small vessel skippers.
I've not heard of these safe crossing points? Is that what the blue arrows are representing on that chartlet?

Edit: Ah, couldn't see that 'key to symbols' for looking... Pretty sure that no boat from the Hamble ever uses them - everywhere but really.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
So now you know where it is & to avoid dragging once anchored to it; to make sure that you hooked onto the pipeline safely. Would you stick to the CQR, or would you change over to the fishermans & would you use a tripping line? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: dom