INEOS AC 2-0

st599

Visit site
The presentation has to be aimed at people who may not know what's going on without descriptions.

The work of SportVision to get graphic overlays based on gimballed helicopter cameras really helps - don't know why they're not using the wind overlays though.

Dogone

Visit site
If you're expecting the AC to be "the future of yachting" then you are somewhat misinformed. Look to the vendee for that.
Though the twin skin main I can see filtering down to at least multihulls in the not too distant future.

The AC is basically a willy waving contest between very rich men. It just happens to take place in boats, and for all that I was initially sceptical about the AC75s, they're coming close to winning me round as a fantastic spectacle.
They just need to fleet race them....
I am not expecting anything of the AC. It has as much to do with sailing as kite surfing does. I am trying to understand what sailors might get out of it and drawing a blank.

A pity the winners chose to write this into the rules, they could have made it more like the J class. That would have relevance, grace and style and be something aspirational too.

I agree a twin skin main is a concept with merit and it has already been tried on a variety of yachts including a bog standard Jeanneau or similar. It doesn't need a flying boat to make it relevant.

Bobc

Visit site
how does the twin skin main work?
Think aeroplane wing. You can set more draft into the leeward skin, increasing the pressure difference. If you look at the end of the boom, there are two separate outhauls, and you can see them moving independently of each other.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I'm really enjoying it . Sailing in the wrong direction just to keep it up is a hoot.

Why would you not select the biggest jib ? Power/drag ratio in lighter winds ? Fear of capsizing ?

One assumes you are not allowed to reef during the race .

I find the crew racing tights a bit embarrassing . Ok for Robin Hood but surely not for yachting . :eek:

Laser310

Visit site
Why would you not select the biggest jib ? Power/drag ratio in lighter winds ? Fear of capsizing ?

i think the problem is that while it might help you get up on the foils, once you are up it's too big - so it's slow.

even more true for the C0 - which they won't use ever, i guess

I have a windsurf foil, and it's a similar situation - once i'm up, i usually have more power than i need

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
i think the problem is that while it might help you get up on the foils, once you are up it's too big - so it's slow.

even more true for the C0 - which they won't use ever, i guess

I have a windsurf foil, and it's a similar situation - once i'm up, i usually have more power than i need

Makes sense now . Thanks

Bobc

Visit site
Just watched it. It wasn't just the runners that caused it, it was a really bad call putting the boat into a tack and then immediately bearing away. Anyone who's ever sailed skiffs will tell you this. The rig loads up and overcome the foils, and there's just no way back.

Info from someone out there is that the boat has a big hole in the underside of the port bow, and all the electrics/electronics are fried. They also think that there is structural damage to the foil mountings and that the foil itself is also twisted.

It's going to be a big ask to get this boat back on the water for next Friday, but let's hope they manage it.

That was some of the best racing I've seen for a long time.