Foulger's Gat - maintenance - an alert

tillergirl

Visit site
Prompted by Peter's thread on this weeks Notices to Mariners, I emailed the marine coordinators gently pointing out that the London Array Notices to Mariners weren't publicly available (as opposed to the weekly Notice of Operations) and I had never had a response last year. They responded promptly and helpfully, and I will be back on the 'notice list'. They also sent the two current Notices to Mariners which is about the maintenance and there are implications for us. In short there is an extensive 6 months maintenance programme involving divers and 'climbers' (my words) who will be roped. The largest exclusion zones are 500m for divers at work. The majority of the locations are 'in-field' away from Foulger's Gat but 6 turbines alongside Foulger's and the dogleg are involved. There is two pairs of turbines involved either side of the Gat or dogleg and if their work coincided together the Gat could be effectively be closed.

I need to add this information to my webpage and perhaps illustrate it. I will do that in the morning. I will ask tomorrow if we could give forewarning of the relevant works. For now, we should all follow their standard practise of asking us to call up any LA vessel prior to entering Foulger's and be prepared for deviating to Fisherman's Gat. They intend to broadcast on Ch 16 to give warning of the diving operations.

tillergirl

Visit site
Well yes and no! They feel they cannot give any reliable (my words) forewarning of the locations. If I read between the lines, it is very much to the operatives within the Farm to select the locations according to the "environmental conditions, conflicting work schedules, ad hoc works etc." So the message is to listen in to Ch 16 and call up on approach.