EU/ex UK residents applying for new UK driving licence ?

AndersG

Visit site
I don't think so, trouble is old gits like me that have been driving for 60yrs plus tend to remember the regs of old and not be familia with change.
I think you can drive any car that is legally on the road, no matter the registration with the licence ,but insurance is another matter.
Non UK residents can drive a foreign registered car in the UK for 6 months. There are a few exceptions but UK residents can't drive a foreign registered car in the UK and the car can be sized if you do so.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Non UK residents can drive a foreign registered car in the UK for 6 months. There are a few exceptions but UK residents can't drive a foreign registered car in the UK and the car can be sized if you do so.
Anders sorry to correct you if a car say is an hired car . Then they can.
Many people hire cars in France to drive their pets back into the UK

st599

Visit site

The three allowances are:
  1. If the car is not yours and the registered owner is not a UK resident and is sitting in the car you are driving.
  2. The car is registered in the name of an EU based company, and you are working for that company. This is regulated by EU rules on using EU-registered cars in other countries.
  3. If the car is on a lease in an other country (for example it’s a car hired from France)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The three allowances are:
  1. If the car is not yours and the registered owner is not a UK resident and is sitting in the car you are driving.
  2. The car is registered in the name of an EU based company, and you are working for that company. This is regulated by EU rules on using EU-registered cars in other countries.
  3. If the car is on a lease in an other country (for example it’s a car hired from France)
Your ,100% corrected . Which seen to be a general law in the EU as well as the UK . So anyone that's now is residence in another country and keep his car there is breaking the law .
If I remember right within 6 months it as to be registered . Unless the law changed from two years ago .

billskip

Visit site
Yes, is what I thought, but obviously as I said before, I'm going back a few yrs. On many occasions while working in Europe I have driven a foreign regeneration car back to the uk and never experienced any problems, it must have been totally legitimate as it was company business.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Bill you can dr
Yes, is what I thought, but obviously as I said before, I'm going back a few yrs. On many occasions while working in Europe I have driven a foreign regeneration car back to the uk and never experienced any problems, it must have been totally legitimate as it was company business.
Bill you can drive a company car .
Now we left the EU the law may change .who knows

ean_p

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies! As residency seems to be at the heart of the matter then at what point is a UK citizen deemed to be 'resident' having returned to the UK, assuming he/ she has full access to a residential home address there etc. Strangely, I currently hold residency for Egypt (until October this year), Spain though I've not yet spent 6 months in country and presumably the UK as that is what I have always called my home regardless of how long I spend elsewhere in the world.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies! As residency seems to be at the heart of the matter then at what point is a UK citizen deemed to be 'resident' having returned to the UK, assuming he/ she has full access to a residential home address there etc. Strangely, I currently hold residency for Egypt (until October this year), Spain though I've not yet spent 6 months in country and presumably the UK as that is what I have always called my home regardless of how long I spend elsewhere in the world.
It been some time since I checked on the rules for returning back .
If I remember if you have a house and you live in it for more then 185 day you then a resident.
But if you want to be 100% sure contact HMRC rather then was posted here, there a few more condition.
Edit
maybe a home / some where you reside then house as house may suggest a property own by you .

Last edited:

ean_p

Visit site
Thanks for the comments Vic but I'm fairly well versed with HMRC's ideas though I'm not sure that residence for tax purposes is the same as being 'resident'. I understand the need for the 185 days + though, as there are no formal rules anywhere as far as I know about relinquishing residence of one place to take it up in another (unlike citizenship) then surely one becomes resident when one is granted that ability and as the ability to be resident is always open to a UK citizen then it must be that such a person can claim to be UK resident at any time especially having set foot within the UK. That is to say his/ her first second there is the first second of the rest of their lives and who could deny that eventuality?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks for the comments Vic but I'm fairly well versed with HMRC's ideas though I'm not sure that residence for tax purposes is the same as being 'resident'. I understand the need for the 185 days + though, as there are no formal rules anywhere as far as I know about relinquishing residence of one place to take it up in another (unlike citizenship) then surely one becomes resident when one is granted that ability and as the ability to be resident is always open to a UK citizen then it must be that such a person can claim to be UK resident at any time especially having set foot within the UK. That is to say his/ her first second there is the first second of the rest of their lives and who could deny that eventuality?
Ok see what your saying now . I would assume as I am British as soon as I moved back I be class as a resident .
But if more then just residence depended on it . I be checking on it.
That's my option any way .
Now I let others give you their .

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for this, as far as I can see continued ordinary UK residency depends on circumstances and intent, rather than days recently spent in the country.

There appears to be no hard and fast rules that to retain, UK residency, you have to spend at least 6 month in the UK so this would make it possible to spend 6 month in your host country and the balance in the UK - making dual residency possible.

billskip

Visit site
I dont think it is a problem with return to UK unless you have chosen nationalization in another country as opposed to residence. In Spain I am told I have 5yrs temp residence then renewed to 5 yrs permanent residence after which I can take the option to nationalization.
So I presume (rule 1 never presume) I can return to UK anytime.

nortada

Visit site
I dont think it is a problem with return to UK unless you have chosen nationalization in another country as opposed to residence. In Spain I am told I have 5yrs temp residence then renewed to 5 yrs permanent residence after which I can take the option to nationalization.
I think I understand residency and citizenship but since you raise the term what is nationality - that which is stated in your passport ❓

My understanding you are normally born with your nationality decided by your parents or country of birth.

Can you hold dual nationality and what is the procedure for changing your nationality❓

Under international law, I understand you cannot be stripped of your nationality, unless you possibly hold a claim to another nationality - possible through parents of differing nationality but even then I believe is normal to have the father's nationality❓

Assuming he can be traced.:oops: ;)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Don't know about other countries but Portugal & UK both allow dual citizenship, which my wife has.

Edit - You can't change nationality.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
I think I understand residency and citizenship but since you raise the term what is nationality - that which is stated in your passport ❓

My understanding you are normally born with your nationality decided by your parents or country of birth.

Can you hold dual nationality and what is the procedure for changing your nationality❓

Under international law, I understand you cannot be stripped of your nationality, unless you possibly hold a claim to another nationality - possible through parents of differing nationality but even then I believe is normal to have the father's nationality❓

Assuming he can be traced.:oops: ;)
It was the word that was used on one of the papers that was given to me explaining all.
Quote..

Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spaniards by origin, as long as they declare their will to retain Spanish nationality within three years of the acquisition of another nationality.