DEPKA in Greece

nortada

Visit site
Can you be a tad more pedantic please. IYO which brackets or tax liability would you think personal savings should go into?
Say at the moment being a forced Greek tax resident with temporary residency overstaying the 180 days because of travel restrictions with the pandemic, and already having savings in a UK bank a/c and transferred to a Greek bank a/c.

Sorry, as I am a British Citizen and a Portuguese Resident, I have no knowledge of Greek taxes but Tony may be able to a this one.

As there is no wealth tax in the U.K., the only tax liability could be on any (capital) gains made.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Can you be a tad more pedantic please. IYO which brackets or tax liability would you think personal savings should go into?
Say at the moment being a forced Greek tax resident with temporary residency overstaying the 180 days because of travel restrictions with the pandemic, and already having savings in a UK bank a/c and transferred to a Greek bank a/c.
I wouldn't worry overmuch, I very much doubt the Greek taxman is going to come knocking on your boat on day 184. It's likely that nothing at all will happen unless and until you need to start interacting with the Greek state in a serious way. For us for example, at no time was our tax situation an issue when we were renting an apartment, using the S1 form to obtain Greek healthcare, changing our driving licenses to Greek ones, obtaining EU permanent residence nor (from what I'm hearing) will it be an issue when converting that to a 10-year permanent biometric residence card.

On the other hand, those intending to remain in Greece permanently (including those staying here over 183 days every year) should IMO seek the advice of a Greek tax accountant to prevent facing some awkward questions and potential fines and back taxes at some unknown time in the future.

grumpygit

Visit site
I wouldn't worry overmuch, I very much doubt the Greek taxman is going to come knocking on your boat on day 184. It's likely that nothing at all will happen unless and until you need to start interacting with the Greek state in a serious way. For us for example, at no time was our tax situation an issue when we were renting an apartment, using the S1 form to obtain Greek healthcare, changing our driving licenses to Greek ones, obtaining EU permanent residence nor (from what I'm hearing) will it be an issue when converting that to a 10-year permanent biometric residence card.

On the other hand, those intending to remain in Greece permanently (including those staying here over 183 days every year) should IMO seek the advice of a Greek tax accountant to prevent facing some awkward questions and potential fines and back taxes at some unknown time in the future.

Cheers again Tony. I'm hoping not to worry too much and I am waiting to get an appointment for a meeting with my accountant to sort my options.
I'm ok with all things Greek but I really do have a strong aversion in dumping HMRC and becoming a full time Greek Tax payer.
I/we will have to wait and see what pans out for us all in the coming weeks and months