Crashed into a buoy on the 20th, having a hard time getting responses for gettin repairs

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
1627812427481.png

this is glue from the vinyl. this area is normally for storage, the painted areas are normally covered by a wooden panel and not useable. the starboard side is the same and the GRP looks the same, this area is untouched by the impact, the crack is at the top of the wooden slatted panel right under the deck and no where near the chain plates! When i had the Headlining redone by Rojer Nantais he forgot the storage areas, so u just glues some spare vinyl in these areas, it used to be foam backed vinyl. The glue wasnt very good B&Q adhesive. I just peeled back the vinyl as the glue had lifted off the GRP anyway.

Last edited:

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
anyway, now trying to find a way to remove the wooden panel that has false slats, its quite thin. Robbins timber have a similar thing but i dont want to destroy the panel if i can help it. I tried suction cups like used for car dents but to no avail

SailingDog

Visit site
A question if I may. Does the rigging look the same on the other side ? There appears to be a gap between the nut and the Grp, this of course could be down to what I am viewing the images on.

I'm surprised you can't get several firms to come and give you an estimate to get the ball rolling, although not surprised they can't do the work for a few months.

Moodysailor

Visit site
Echoing what others have said, you should engage a surveyor first, to asses the full nature of the damage.

The risk otherwise is that someone may be reluctant to quote as the full extent is unknown, so you end up with an open-ended estimate, or a massively high quote to cover lots of potential problems.

I also advise to badger your insurance company, and expect that you may not be back on the water this summer. If it turns out possible, you will be pleased rather than upset in the alternative case.