Covid 19 and boat prices

Tinto

Visit site
Would it be fair to say that boat prices are likey to fall in the next few months?

what is the concensus on how much they will drop by?

anyone had any experience of the market recently?

V1701

Visit site
It's irrelevant really, the market is already depressed, the smaller and older the boat the more depressed it is to the point where some are now giving boats away. I think all you can say for now is that everything is on hold. If you're selling there doesn't seem much point dropping the price cos nobody's likely to buy it unseen and if you're buying you can't go to see it or have it surveyed...

sail sail

Visit site
Would it be fair to say that boat prices are likey to fall in the next few months?

what is the concensus on how much they will drop by?

anyone had any experience of the market recently?

They might, they might not. It's anyone's guess by how much if they do. This sort of thing has never happened before.

Even if times are hard, my boat will be the last thing I sell.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
I think good, well priced boats will continue to sell well. If anything, I can see there being some upturn in sales (although it may be short) as those who have missed out on being on the water rush to get back on it.

On the other hand, there could be more divorces with people having been cooped up together for too long, resulting in vast numbers of boats suddenly up for sale as assets are divided and prices falling as a consequence of a saturated market.

Who knows!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Where is this idea coming from that boat market is going to bottom out , for a start tho with boats won't be albe to wait to get back out on them not sell them ,
People like my self who been coot up on boat will end up with boats in much better conditions then they where before the lock down , not having any thing else to do but to maintain them .
Liveaboard who have lost some of the season if not all by the time it all over will be sailing off to carry on their adventure.

Yes there will be cheap boats on the market , the same that where on the market before the lock down , only different now is as owners couldn't get to them to give them some TLC they going to be in a much worst state then when they where before the lock down .
Good maintain boats will always get a good price . Old bad maintained will always go for a song although in the end the them that do go for a song normally end up costing as much as the same good boats .
Of cause there will be the odd bargain but then there where there some weeks back any way.

Laser310

Visit site
There is a lot of speculation about this on sailing forums now.

I don't think that, in general, there will be much change in the market for quality racing and cruising sailing yachts.

The one situation in which boats might get sold at prices well below what would have been the norm, is cruising boats that owners have left in far away places. It could be that some cruisers, say out in the Pacific.., or in the Caribbean, got off their boats and came home before flights stopped. Or maybe they are still on the boats, but will leave them and come home on the first flight. In some cases, when things return to normal.., they won't want to go get the boat.., don't have the money for a paid delivery, or the boat isn't worth enough to justify it. There are always boats in these situations, that are difficult to sell, it's just that in a few months there may be more of them than is usual.

Tinto

Visit site
There is also the bareboat rental market. Many of these boats will be on finance with most, of not all, achieving zero rental income. So many of the owners will likely need to sell them or the creditors will repossess them and sell them. That’s a lot of boats flooding into the market.

supply up + demand down = reduced prices

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There is also the bareboat rental market. Many of these boats will be on finance with most, of not all, achieving zero rental income. So many of the owners will likely need to sell them or the creditors will repossess them and sell them. That’s a lot of boats flooding into the market.

supply up + demand down = reduced prices
Are you planning to sell ? Cos I not

jac

Visit site
I think the financial impact will have more influence than the disease / lockdown etc. Those that can afford it will still want to sail.

The issue will be those who have perhaps lost money this year and therefore can;t buy the new ( to them) boat couple with the numbers who have pretty much decided to give up and for whom the sudden injection of capital / avoidance of ongoing costs suddenly becomes important.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I heard on the news today that 800,000 businesses are likely to fold in a few weeks if they cant get a bail out and this situation carries on. If that is anything like true then we wont be discussing boat prices at all, rather where the next meal is coming from and how to prevent the mob nicking it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That's a very specific type of boat - I doubt I want one at any price.

A flood of bareboats is unlikely to affect the price of, say, the Arcona I would like to buy...
And there lies another good point , if someone looking at buying a particular type of boat a market flooded with say Jen of Bav isn't going to make much different .

Tinto

Visit site
That's a very specific type of boat - I doubt I want one at any price.

A flood of bareboats is unlikely to affect the price of, say, the Arcona I would like to buy...
True but it will affect used prices of your typical Bavaria etc

PHN

Visit site
I heard on the news today that 800,000 businesses are likely to fold in a few weeks if they cant get a bail out and this situation carries on. If that is anything like true then we wont be discussing boat prices at all, rather where the next meal is coming from and how to prevent the mob nicking it.

So you need a boat to keep a safe distance and an fishing rod for a free meal.

doug748

Visit site

Yes. I am in the risk group but am far more concerned about the effects of the shutdowns than I am about the disease itself.
My guess is that prices will drop by a third but if there is a monumental crash boats may not be required at any price.

PHN

Visit site
Yes. I am in the risk group but am far more concerned about the effects of the shutdowns than I am about the disease itself.
My guess is that prices will drop by a third but if there is a monumental crash boats may not be required at any price.

To a certain extent boats are like houses. If you own one, it's paid for and you have no intent to sell nor is it your retirement fund then well ... does it sail worse when the value drops?