Coronavirus and Greece

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The link here is to a Facebook page so you may not be able to view it. It's from the Data Analysis and Forecasting Lab at the Technical University of Crete and their statistical analysis in late March predicted the peak in Greece on 1st and 2nd April. Their saying that the latest data supports their predictions and they're now forecasting and end in Greece in the middle of May.

Tony,
This is an impressive chart. What are the measures being taken that seem to be so effective?

Cariadco

Visit site
So apart from what has been previously mentioned, here in Corfu, things are getting tight.
At the mo' we've had 4 cases of C19, although they we're transported to the mainland, to another hospital, where they were treated but sadly, one passed away.
To go out, you have to fill in a form, stating your details, why you are going out etc. You also have to send a txt in a certain format, to a government number, and they txt you back to confirm it. You also need to have your passport with you.
The police are catching around 100 people daily and fining them 150e, on the spot, for failure to comply.
My mate has just been done, for driving about a mile from his house, to go walking (exercising) on a local beach. Although he had complied with everything, he was done for driving to his place of exercise, where he could have exercised directly from his house ie started his walk from his house.
The Marina's like a ghost town, as are the streets of the villages and town.
Regards.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
From 08/04 - 27/04 the airports, ports, train stations and KTEL bus are only available for permanent residents to travel to their primary residence address declared on their E1 tax return. Fines for violators are 300 eur and removal of vehicle license plates. Χαρδαλιάς: Μπλόκα στα διόδια, 300 ευρώ πρόστιμο και «κόψιμο» στο delivery για το Άγιο Φως
And what's more (and more important to stop the Easter exodus) they can't return until the restrictions are lifted.

I've heard through my contacts that they're talking here at least about planning for tourism to restart in July.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Tony,
This is an impressive chart. What are the measures being taken that seem to be so effective?
Greece shutdown very early and completely. That's the key I think. The very stringent controls on the traditional Easter exodus to the home villages and islands mentioned above is another example of the way Greece is keeping the infection rate down.

We also have a workable mechanism to control movement outside the home. We have to send an SMS to a common number with our name, address and one of six reasons for being out. If your location or the time when the police stop to check you isn't commensurate with the reason you gave and the time of the automated response to your SMS it's a €150 fine. So far Greece has collected over €4 million in fines, part of which will go to help fund the health service.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
And what's more (and more important to stop the Easter exodus) they can't return until the restrictions are lifted.

I've heard through my contacts that they're talking here at least about planning for tourism to restart in July.
Quite a few people here in Turkey also talking about tourism restarting in July, others saying June and more again talking about August or September. But it's just that - talk. Everyone wants to have an opinion and in the end, totally by default, some will turn out to have picked the correct month or year. In reality no one has a clue. In fairness, however, Greece has done a good job, so far, of containing the spread of the virus.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Quite a few people here in Turkey also talking about tourism restarting in July, others saying June and more again talking about August or September. But it's just that - talk. Everyone wants to have an opinion and in the end, totally by default, some will turn out to have picked the correct month or year. In reality no one has a clue. In fairness, however, Greece has done a good job, so far, of containing the spread of the virus.
I think this is the case every where , we waiting in Italy for the next extended date to be give there is talk that it's going to be lifted on the 13th but tho people are just dreaming . Guessing we be lucky if there some kind of the restrictions easying by the end of May , although that won't mean we can go off on our marry way .

pipemma

Visit site
Just wondering what people are being told about extended stays in boatyards and marinas?
We're in Aktio, our contract runs until Mon 13th, and we were going to launch on 23rd and just pay up the extra days. Obviously that's not going to happen now, and we've all but written off this season, reckon we'll be lucky to get 2-3 weeks in Sept/Oct.
Aktio are saying I have to do a new contract, and as it's a new contract, it will be at full price, not at the reduced rate after 8 months i.e. not an extension of the existing contract. Seems a bit cheeky to me, considering they will have far more boats than usual for the next couple of months and hence be getting far more fees than usual, and especially since I offered to pay up to the end of the existing contract now, rather than just leaving it until we can eventually launch. They're also asking how long the new contract should be for - well, how would I know any better than them? If you launch after the end of a contract, you just pay the extra days; but if you launch before the end of a contract, there's no refund, you still have to pay up the full contracted period

Yngmar

Visit site
Friends wintering afloat in Lefkas (D-Marin) report no discount is offered, full summer prices when their winter contract ends. They also said the boatyard there is open and you can haul out, which surprises me.

OldBawley

Visit site
As usual Greece measures with two or more rules. We are forbidden to use the dinghy and a very high end water ski resort is still in operation. I can here their boats roaring from 2,5 miles off.

Guests are collected from Athens by helicopter. Don't think they are been controlled.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think that's going to be the case in most countries IF the virus slows down. We been given a new date of the 3rd May here in Italy and as long as things go to plain we should see some reduction of the restrictions, how much only time will tell .

Tony Cross

Visit site
As usual Greece measures with two or more rules. We are forbidden to use the dinghy and a very high end water ski resort is still in operation. I can here their boats roaring from 2,5 miles off.

Guests are collected from Athens by helicopter. Don't think they are been controlled.
Phone 1135 from a Greek phone and report them. Alternatively phone 100 from a Greek phone to report it to the local police or 108 from a Greek phone to report it to the coastguard.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We can only hope , I guess if things get better over the next month some restrictions will be lifted , that's doesn't mean we all going to be able to go off where we like , but with some luck , maybe within the country we in .
Again it's all guess Ingmar

nortada

Visit site
We can only hope , I guess if things get better over the next month some restrictions will be lifted , that's doesn't mean we all going to be able to go off where we like , but with some luck , maybe within the country we in .
Again it's all guess Ingmar

maybe within the country we in,

Reckon this is the way it will go but there may be additional internal frontiers between areas of high and low incidence of the virus.

wwalsh

Visit site
Chania port authority fined 3 people 5000 euro each for going for a excursion today with their 2 boats to the gulf of georgioupoli
Χανιά: "Καμπάνα" χιλιάδων ευρώ σε τρία άτομα που βγήκαν βόλτα με σκάφη!

this article says the preferred solution the government is considering is mass coronavirus testing of tourists at the athens airport with rapid tests.
Το σχέδιο χαμηλής πτήσης στον τουρισμό - Οι προϋποθέσεις για να ανοίξει η χώρα

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
this article says the preferred solution the government is considering is mass coronavirus testing of tourists at the athens airport with rapid tests.
Το σχέδιο χαμηλής πτήσης στον τουρισμό - Οι προϋποθέσεις για να ανοίξει η χώρα
I don't see how that could work? AFAIK the fastest tests take several hours, so where will these tourists wait whilst the test are done? Here they're talking about requiring tourists to have a test certificate showing they are COVID-19 free that is less than 'a few days' old. That would seem more doable?

OldBawley

Visit site
Been out, shopping for food, made a round with my bicycle of the quayside's, you know, having a look what´s new in town.

This was the best: All bars, cafe´s and restaurants are closed, however there are often a bunch of guys sitting in there, talking. I guess they all work there. Sitting.

This time the local police was sitting with them in one of the taverna´s. You know, working. .