Conecting AIS vhf to chart plotter ?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The NMEA 2000 standard is very well defined and so universal, as also others have indicated.

Nothing like pc's, bluetooth, LAN and communication protocol fidelling. Like light bulbs: Plug it in, turn it on. Done.

On your chartpotter there are several display setting options - you may have to tell it to add the AIS layer, but that is common on such devices and not dependant on NMEA.

Clearly, squeezing more data into a screen can make it look cluttered, so this time size matters :rolleyes:

Refueler

Visit site
The NMEA 2000 standard is very well defined and so universal, as also others have indicated.

Nothing like pc's, bluetooth, LAN and communication protocol fidelling. Like light bulbs: Plug it in, turn it on. Done.

On your chartpotter there are several display setting options - you may have to tell it to add the AIS layer, but that is common on such devices and not dependant on NMEA.

Clearly, squeezing more data into a screen can make it look cluttered, so this time size matters :rolleyes:

The problem of older sets is that they cannot decipher the sentences .... they are programmed for certain sentences and that's it. My 3500C ... can accept Wind ... Speed ... Autopilot ... Compass ... all sorts of gear but not AIS .... regardless of 0183 or 2000

When the screen suffered a flicker - that and lack of AIS display prompted me to buy a new plotter.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
No idea but many years before 2021 ..... :ROFLMAO:

If you are implying that N2K is not part of that series of Lowrance gear ... suggest you read the manual.

As I recall ... the GM 3500C I have was manufactured 2005 - 2006.

What difference does that make ??

Once again, try reading post#14

Too busy trying to poke your nose in and start an argument to bother, i guess.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The problem of older sets is that they cannot decipher the sentences .... they are programmed for certain sentences and that's it. My 3500C ... can accept Wind ... Speed ... Autopilot ... Compass ... all sorts of gear but not AIS .... regardless of 0183 or 2000

When the screen suffered a flicker - that and lack of AIS display prompted me to buy a new plotter.

Other manufacturers, Standard Horizon, for one, displayed AIS from the late 90's, almost a decade before you 3500c was made.

Guess you get what you pay for ;)

Refueler

Visit site
Once again, try reading post#14

Too busy trying to poke your nose in and start an argument to bother, i guess.

You really push the limits Paul ...

Go back ... I had already spotted your error ... posted ... and then you award 'John' .... who posted AFTER ...

and all you can do is poke the fire with your 'what year was my 3500C '.............. because its so obvious that there is no way you would acknowledge my post ...

Argument ?? No Paul. There is no argument. Its in your head ...

Refueler

Visit site
Other manufacturers, Standard Horizon, for one, displayed AIS from the late 90's, almost a decade before you 3500c was made.

Guess you get what you pay for ;)

Give it a rest Paul ...

I gave a reasonable statement about sentences that had no brand attached. You have decided to make it personal. Why ? Seems to be a habit of yours not only to me ...

Refueler

Visit site
Post 10 has of course been corrected ... but of course that does not alter post 11 ....

Post 10 is now daft ... as it says "Think you got a date or two wrong there, " ..... ?????

Guy it was aimed at was NOT wrong.

Oh Dear !!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You really push the limits Paul ...

Go back ... I had already spotted your error ... posted ... and then you award 'John' .... who posted AFTER ...

and all you can do is poke the fire with your 'what year was my 3500C '.............. because its so obvious that there is no way you would acknowledge my post ...

Argument ?? No Paul. There is no argument. Its in your head ...

John posed a simple question, prompting me to realised i have mis-typed the year. You waffled on, after doing Google searches to prove me wrong, i assume you were unable to spot the 2021 was a typo for the real year of 2001, even after your Googling.

I responded to John, as his was a sensible, genuine query, rather than someone trying to score some Browny points (y)

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
John posed a simple question, prompting me to realised i have mis-typed the year. You waffled on, after doing Google searches to prove me wrong, i assume you were unable to spot the 2021 was a typo for the real year of 2021, even after your Googling.

I responded to John, as his was a sensible, genuine query, rather than someone trying to score some Browny points (y)

I'm sorry that my English comes over that way to you. Brownie points ? Certainly not. For what ? On a Forum ??

My post was reasonable, not rude or insulting. In fact compared to your musings - very tame.

Got twitchy fingers Paul ?? "spot the 2021 was a typo for the real year of 2021, "

Of course I understood a typo .... but there are many new people to the subject who would not know that ... not everyone here is an old salt ...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Post 10 has of course been corrected ... but of course that does not alter post 11 ....

Post 10 is now daft ... as it says "Think you got a date or two wrong there, " ..... ?????

Guy it was aimed at was NOT wrong.

Oh Dear !!

Do you have difficulty readin or is it just a lack of understanding, perhaps fuelled by a desire to score a point or two ?

Sigh....

I corrected my typo in post 10, pointed out by John.
Post 11 will of course have your quote, posted prior to my correction. I'm unable to edit someone elses quotes.

Post #9 states "My Lowrance HDS-10 Gen1 (launced 2008?) shows AIS & details via NMEA2000. "

You cannot have NMEA 2000 on a device from 2008, as it did not exists, NMEA 0183 didn't even exist in 2008. Ergo, one of the dates there cannot be correct. Perhaps the poster made a typo, like me.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I'm sorry that my English comes over that way to you. Brownie points ? Certainly not. For what ? On a Forum ??

My post was reasonable, not rude or insulting. In fact compared to your musings - very tame.

Got twitchy fingers Paul ?? "spot the 2021 was a typo for the real year of 2021, "

Of course I understood a typo .... but there are many new people to the subject who would not know that ... not everyone here is an old salt ...

Why not just point out the typo then ?

Why ask "was was released in 2021" and the Goggle some evidence to support the fact that N2K was released in 2001?

Goodbye.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The plotter is a Lowrance HDS 5m .Googling has told me it has NMEA 0183 /2000 Expandability compatible.

What I cant specifically find is wether or not it can deal with AIS input.
Page 87 of the manual says it does: PDF (PDF page 89)

I generally prefer NMEA 2000, but if you only have the two devices to connect, the VHF and the plotter, then I would guess that NMEA 0183 would be easier - I think that's just as easy as connecting the two sets of wires (??) whereas NMEA 2000 uses more cumbersome cables and requires T-connectors and terminators.

I can't find any mention in the manual of how to set the NMEA 0183 baud rate - is that a thing?