Caribbean lockdown

geem

Visit site
Things are getting interesting here in the Caribbean. The French islands have closed their ports of entry as have Bonaire, Curacao, Trinidad and I am sure a few others. Grenada is still letting boats in until midnight tonight then any boats arriving after that have to self quarantine for 14 days.
We made a dart to Carriacou ( part of Grenada) whilst we still could so that if this turns in to long term containment then at least we are further south away from Hurricanes. ( hurricane season being June until November). Its not ideal in Grenada in hurricane season but its are only alternative. Our insurance requires us to be in either Trinidad or Curacao. That wont happen if they deny us access. Its not a bad place to be in lockdown. We are free to cruise the anchorages whilst we are here. The weather is good. We just hope food supplies to the island dont run out. There is going to be a very large cruising contingent in Grenada this summer by the looks of it. The money these cruisers spend in Grenada should helpto keep the local businesses going. We just hope law and order is maintained.

t21

Visit site
Hum, a fair bit of Just Hoping ... I think somewhat Draconian actions are being taken on flimsy data. The only place where real testing happened was a cruise ship of oldies, 20% showed the virus and 1% of them died. Wooh. Sounds like flu to me. Easier to govern people if you tellem to all stay home, police and educators will also be in favour. Data collectors are encouraged to find as many cases as possible. China, Italy, Iran don’t feel reliable data sources, not really. 3,000 people a day die from suicides, 3,000 from traffic accidents, 2,000 from falling over. Shamdemic.

newtothis

Visit site
Hum, a fair bit of Just Hoping ... I think somewhat Draconian actions are being taken on flimsy data. The only place where real testing happened was a cruise ship of oldies, 20% showed the virus and 1% of them died. Wooh. Sounds like flu to me. Easier to govern people if you tellem to all stay home, police and educators will also be in favour. Data collectors are encouraged to find as many cases as possible. China, Italy, Iran don’t feel reliable data sources, not really. 3,000 people a day die from suicides, 3,000 from traffic accidents, 2,000 from falling over. Shamdemic.

I'm beginning to understand now why YBW has put that reminder at the top of the page.

Resolution

Visit site
I just hope you have the courage to come back on here in four weeks time and apologise for being so totally wrong.
If it has petered out by then I would be delighted to come back and praise you for being right when so many experts with all their data sources were wrong.

geem

Visit site
God help us with people like you! The world is shutting down and you are in denial.........

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

Well done!

- W

t21

Visit site
Oh dear, the usual people get personal. Very poor show. I understand that so far nobody under the age of 36 has died. It’s a flu virus. Even in the confines of a cruise ship only 20% actually caught it.

t21

Visit site
You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

Well done!

- W
Hum, welll... at least I’m smarter than those who can’t even sail their intended destination without my help. You’re welcome.
Edit: I wonder if or when Webcraft might realise that he unerringly chooses the wrong side of every issue? Probably never. Heyho. I am always reassured when Webby disagrees. Sailing, politics, everything really :- )

Last edited:

t21

Visit site
God help us with people like you! The world is shutting down and you are in denial.........
I’m not in denial at all. I question the dramatic act of effectively shutting down whole industries worldwide, and which may not recover. There is no threat to the human race. This “spends” the will to take such action again. The minority is usually right. I’m right about lots of things, perhaps even most things. Maybe that’s why I’m on a nice sunny island in the Caribbean. I’m off for a sunbathe now, have a nice day all

geem

Visit site
I’m not in denial at all. I question the dramatic act of effectively shutting down whole industries worldwide, and which may not recover. There is no threat to the human race. This “spends” the will to take such action again. The minority is usually right. I’m right about lots of things, perhaps even most things. Maybe that’s why I’m on a nice sunny island in the Caribbean. I’m off for a sunbathe now, have a nice day all
I am also on a nice sunny island in the Caribbean but I am not stupid..............

newtothis

Visit site
The minority is usually right. I’m right about lots of things, perhaps even most things. Maybe that’s why I’m on a nice sunny island in the Caribbean. I’m off for a sunbathe now, have a nice day all

There's nowt so stupid as a self-appointed expert who believes in their own opinions in the face of evidence.
How's the medical support in the Caribbean?

t21

Visit site
Forgive me, I suppose I was writing for the benefit of others who can discuss issues without resort to personal abuse. I believe there is insufficient evidence to justify wholesale destruction of so many livelihoods, as this action is doing. Doctors have little experience of the effects their advice is creating. Similar evidence lead to the elimination of the uk beef industry. The worldwide shutdown may or may not clear the pandemic ... but it will definitely clear lots more besides. I’m not alone in thinking this, but as an original thinker it wouldn’t be unusual for me to be the only one of a group with a different viewpoint.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Forgive me, I suppose I was writing for the benefit of others who can discuss issues without resort to personal abuse. I believe there is insufficient evidence to justify wholesale destruction of so many livelihoods, as this action is doing. Doctors have little experience of the effects their advice is creating. Similar evidence lead to the elimination of the uk beef industry. The worldwide shutdown may or may not clear the pandemic ... but it will definitely clear lots more besides. I’m not alone in thinking this, but as an original thinker it wouldn’t be unusual for me to be the only one of a group with a different viewpoint.
I agree with you. I have written similar in other threads and got personal abuse back. Although my posts have mainly been about my opinion that the media frenzy screaming for more testing is nothing more than the desire to wallow in massive numbers of those tested positive rather the the much fewer number of actual deaths. I have also made posts about the hate shown to posters rather than their views. Wow. Holy smoke on a bicycle and all that.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
At a conservative estimate, 'letting it rip' and 'taking it on the chin' would have resulted in half a million deaths in the UK.

This is more than lost their lives in the whole of WW2

If you think it is fine then I hope you are prepared to take one for the team.

- W

t21

Visit site
Yes, the dynamic of world focus on one issue seems intoxicating. I have little doubt that there is a tendency towards over-reporting (ie fabricating) positive results for extra attention, or financial assistance. If we both seek victims and you find twice the number that I do - who has worked hardest? Simplistic logic indicates that those who find the most most positive cases have been the most thorough and industrious.

Similar banana-brained deductions can drawn when there are fewer cases - it’s working! Well, maybe.

Fact is that the shutdown - and the mood of uncertainty - will already be causing business failures, even in quite unrelated or unaffected industries. Delayed payments and lots more.

Thus ultimately this attempt to control things will be hampered by the very shutdown which is supposed to provide the control. A gardener might similarly eradicate weeds by concreting over the garden.

I imagine that it may take until next week for politicians to realise that a slight uptick in flu deaths amongst the elderly isn’t quite worth another (and much worse) self-inflicted world recession, and the certainty of not getting re-elected.

I’m guessing Trump might be first off the blocks with this (again) and Macron perhaps a little tardy since he’s married to one of that group. They’ll definitely be getting calls, and not many if any about deaths among the under 30’s.

Meanwhile the uk will continue to irrationally laud its NHS, complete with part-time doctors on NHS contracts who are financially rewarded for maintaining a long waiting list. No waiting list would mean ... no private clients.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I imagine that it may take until next week for politicians to realise that a slight uptick in flu deaths amongst the elderly isn’t quite worth another (and much worse) self-inflicted world recession, and the certainty of not getting re-elected.

Could you please explain how half a million deaths would be a 'slight uptick'??

The army are currently conveying coffins out of Bergamo because the local crematorium can no longer cope.

I strongly suggest you take a look at the science and the statistics behind the epidemic rather than speaking pure, unadulterated pish.

- W