Can anyone ID the harbour (or the paddle steamer)?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If you look at a plan of Dun Laoghaire I don't see which perspective it could be taken from for a pier to obstruct the view of the outer pier as shown in the OP image.
Could the crane in the background left be on a barge or ship just outside the harbour entrance?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” - Sherlock Holmes.

SaltIre

Visit site
Could the crane in the background left be on a barge or ship just outside the harbour entrance?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” - Sherlock Holmes.
I don't think so. The crane on the left is huge! Compare it with the two on the right...
Also seems too high up...

SaltIre

Visit site
I have an answer to the OP's question...

No!!!!
It's a lot of fun, though. Here's one of mine I can't fathom. It'll be Scotland. Taken by my Grandfather ~100 years ago...
It was on a glass photographic plate I backlit and photographed. It may be left/right transposed. I suspect it might be Forth & Clyde canal but it isn't Kirkintilloch.
54edit.jpg

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have an answer to the OP's question...

No!!!!
It's a lot of fun, though. Here's one of mine I can't fathom. It'll be Scotland. Taken by my Grandfather ~100 years ago...
It was on a glass photographic plate I backlit and photographed. It may be left/right transposed. I suspect it might be Forth & Clyde canal but it isn't Kirkintilloch.
View attachment 120056
Is that a flight of locks starting just beyond the church?

Caraway

Visit site

Doubt it. My point was that the pier (here in a muddy orange) is across the harbour, hiding the outer harbour wall, and more of the harbour with ship's masts and cranes beyond it.

pier.jpg

SaltIre

Visit site
Is that a flight of locks starting just beyond the church?
It might be. It might be the River Cart - my Grandpa lived in Paisley. I sense that the canal/river goes to the right in the distance, but it could be locks. I need to send it to a Paisley historical society and F&C Canal also.
There are some pictures of Tarbert Loch Fyne in the collection but it isn't Crinan Canal.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It might be. It might be the River Cart - my Grandpa lived in Paisley. I sense that the canal/river goes to the right in the distance, but it could be locks. I need to send it to a Paisley historical society and F&C Canal also.
There are some pictures of Tarbert Loch Fyne in the collection but it isn't Crinan Canal.
The Cart never had locks. However, the Forth and Cart Canal did - it went from the north shore of the Clyde opposite the mouth of the Cart up to the Forth and Clyde. Absolutely nothing of it left now, but the course is clear, and there is no sign of any church. Mind you, what the Luftwaffe didn't manage to do to Clydebank, local government planning policy did later so it's quite possible that there was a church there once.

T3PaGDa.png

SaltIre

Visit site
The Cart never had locks. However, the Forth and Cart Canal did - it went from the north shore of the Clyde opposite the mouth of the Cart up to the Forth and Clyde. Absolutely nothing of it left now, but the course is clear, and there is no sign of any church. Mind you, what the Luftwaffe didn't manage to do to Clydebank, local government planning policy did later so it's quite possible that there was a church there once.

T3PaGDa.png
I didn't know that - thanks. Sorry to drift your thread...;)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
More drift.:rolleyes:
Here's an old map showing the spur of canal down to the Clyde, exiting opposite the Cart.
View attachment 120063
The NLS maps are really interesting - you can pick ones of varying age to compare with present day. Rothesay Dock didn't exist towards the end of the 1800s!
Side by side georeferenced maps viewer - Map images - National Library of Scotland
The NLS maps website is a thing of wonder. Their charges for high quality prints are very reasonable too - I've just taken the Bathymetric Survey of Loch Ken from about 1900 off for framing. They will do prints of old admiralty charts too, some of which are far more detailed than the modern versions.

dgadee

Visit site
The NLS maps website is a thing of wonder. Their charges for high quality prints are very reasonable too - I've just taken the Bathymetric Survey of Loch Ken from about 1900 off for framing. They will do prints of old admiralty charts too, some of which are far more detailed than the modern versions.

And the detail also includes info on ground - so useful for anchoring and so annoying when it has been edited out on modern charts.

JNKScot

Visit site
If you enlarge it to +500%, just before it loses definition, the photograph seems to be of a pool; there looks to be no channel or locks in the distance.

dgadee

Visit site
If you enlarge it to +500%, just before it loses definition, the photograph seems to be of a pool; there looks to be no channel or locks in the distance.

But the banks don't look as though they are those of a non flowing body of water.

SaltIre

Visit site
But the banks don't look as though they are those of a non flowing body of water.
I've got a higher resolution version that the forum won't accept for upload, and it looks as if there is weed floating or growing in the water - suggesting it is indeed non-flowing.

Edit...
Here it is, now on my serverspace:
54.jpg

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ah-hah. I wonder if the canal is turning right, out of sight. In which case, how about Boat Green in Gatehouse of Fleet, at the end of the short Fleet Canal? Picture taken from the bottom left of the P for Parking:

Sux1fLS.png

SaltIre

Visit site
My GrandPa's pics are a typical family photo album - but glass plates in a wooden box! A lot of them would have been taken on holiday, or day trips. Here's one of "Old Mortality and his Pony", in Dumfries. As you'll realised I took it out the box, labelled it as 30 but it was "back to front" so I reversed the image I took left-right after finding out what it was.
The one of what we think is a pond could be anywhere in Scotland. Thread is now well and truly hijacked!!!!
30edit.jpg

SaltIre

Visit site
Ah-hah. I wonder if the canal is turning right, out of sight. In which case, how about Boat Green in Gatehouse of Fleet, at the end of the short Fleet Canal? Picture taken from the bottom left of the P for Parking:

Sux1fLS.png
It might be "left-right transposed". Here it is looking radically different! I've looked on Streetview and GoF church tower is different...
Swap.jpg

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
I've nothing constructive to add to the thread other that to say it's bloody brilliant. Well done to everyone who's posted. Some brilliant conjecture and ideas.