Cafe Lulworth

Remmington

Visit site
MOULD on fridges, out-of-date food, filthy floors and shelves, and even a dog basket in the corner.

These were the scenes confronting horrified environmental health inspectors when they looked around the kitchen of a popular Hampshire café and restaurant.

The owner of Café Lulworth, in Sarisbury Green, has now been ordered to pay more than £6,000 in fines and costs after admitting 11 hygiene offences.

Fareham magistrates told George Blakemore that they could impose up to £5,000 penalties for each charge, but they reduced the amount after he told them that a £55,000 charge would put him out of business.

Fareham Borough Council officers were disgusted by the state of the kitchen when they visited the waterfront eatery, at Universal Marina, Crableck Lane.

As well as debris, dirt and grease on floors, walls and fans, sinks, fridges, an oven, a microwave, a fryer and griddle, they found no system in place to monitor use-by dates for food.

“It was in a totally unacceptable and filthy state,” said prosecutor Katherine Rickwood. “If there are a million bacteria on the head of a pin, one can only imagine how many bacteria there were in all that grease.”

The chef had no formal hygiene training, raw meat lay open near cooked meat and salads, and there was no protection from potential rat infestations.

Inspectors met with Blakemore, and follow-up visits showed that standards had been raised.

However, they then made another surprise inspection six months later.

“They looked round the premises and found to their immense disappointment and dismay that the level of cleaning was at an unacceptable level,” said Mrs Rickwood.

“There was food debris and general dirt that indicated it hadn’t been cleaned for a while. They found out-of-date chicken, and alongside the fridge there was a collection of shoes, which can lead to a contamination risk.”

Blakemore, who has owned the café for two-and-a-half years, said that he had “taken my eye off the ball” while his partner received hospital treatment and he then set up a business in Plymouth.

He said that the staff involved had been dismissed on both occasions.

“It’s a lesson that’s been hard on me,” he told the court. “I now know we’ve got to be there virtually on a permanent basis.”

Blakemore said that he is working with the council, and that a further inspection in December had found no hygiene issues.

P4Paul

Visit site
It has been suggested that Cafe Lulworth are expanding or have expanded into new premises within Universal Marina which surprises me as they never really looked full even at weekends last year. Has anyone else heard anything or been and tried the food since this original post?

mrw13

Visit site
Being a new berth holder ther, I tried it y/day. For a quick meal with fast & efficient service, it could certainly beat some pubs in the area. Out of 10, i would vote it 6. In the areas I could see it certainly appeared clean

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that it was part of the same organisation as the one in Moody's.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so did I and I asked the question of them in Swanwick - they used to be but have not been for some time.

P4Paul

Visit site
Also a berth holder at Universal for three years and must admit that cafe Lulworth started out good, then after a couple of un-satisfactory meals early last year combined with some poor service we stopped eating there.

Now we only call in for a beer or glass of wine while waiting for the Indian or Chinese to deliver our food.

P4Paul

Visit site
The ones on Barnes lane towards Warsash.
Chows Dynasty and the Belash Balti House.

We sometimes walk to Velsheda's at Swanwick or the Riverside Chinese at Deacons. As a treat we use the Ferry at Deacons where we are always well looked after with great service and consistantly high quality food but it costs.

We have also been known to dingy to the Waterside at Mercury.

I will admit that Cafe Youthclub (Lulworth) does look a little better lately but they still have a lot of work to restore our confidence following on from some of the things we have seen there.

jakeroyd

Visit site
Been to the one at Mayflower Marina.
Used to be very expensive and very quiet a few years ago.
Now much improved , reasonable menu but not quite cheap enough to eat in regularly. We often have a Saturday evening meal there now and have found it OK.
Pricing is quite an art , too expensive and we eat on the boat or take a taxi to Plymouth City Centre (about £7) , get price down a bit and it will meet our needs.
Still feel they are fleecing us 'wealthy' boat owners a bit.
Good Bear but not cheap.

P4Paul

Visit site
As we are not there this weekend, can someone tell me if the Black Tiger Prawns are still on the daily specials board?

We have a family sweepstake running on how much longer the board will remain un-altered.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P4Paul

Visit site
Went to the marina over the weekend to check on the boat, Cafe Lulworth have shut down, their old building is now empty and it looks like the equipment has just been dumped into the new restuarant building. Word on the pontoons is that the cafe owner (George?) was in the process moving at the end of November and then out of the blue decided that he didn't want to continue and has just walked away.

Hopefully someone who cares about their customers will take over and make a real go of it, I will for one will support them if they do a good job. To be fair a good restaurant/cafe/bar is all that the marina is missing now, the rest is fantastic.

Terrascared

Visit site
New cafe owners?

I've just been past the old cafe lulworth, and have seen a flyer in the window, saying they are re-opening soon with a new owner!
Anyone heard who is going to run it and what they are going to do with it?
I miss my breakfast down there and a nice cool beer in the summer!