Buying Sails

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I have used Westaway in the past and they were OK but there have been rumblings in forums about them recently.
There must be some substance to the complaints as there's been several aired.

Rumblings? Several complaints? I have no experience of them but there seem to have been so many complaints about them they almost deserve their own sub-forum!

papaver

Visit site
Secondhand news here - the guy I bought my boat from told me to avoid Westaway - they charged him twice for a sail and it was the devil's own job to get them to admit it and refund the additional charge - took months, and much pushing. Seems to be a common complaint with them. Life's too short ...

Circe

Visit site
I purchased a second hand sail from them. The sail did not fit. I sent the sail back and NEVER recieved a refund!
My advice - stay well clear!

Ianqv

Visit site
I bought a second-hand sail from Westaway sails approx 4 years ago. I had to send the sail back as it was not as described.
It then took me months to get my money back. SHAMEFULL service! They only refunded me when I threatened small claims court.

IMHO – the worst service I have ever received to do with boating! AVOID them at all cost!

adwuk

Visit site
I bought a new genoa from them. Turns out they never went and measured the boat, which was only a few miles away. The sail was useless, and I ended up having to have it recut by Owen sails about a year later. I had to hound them to take delivery. When I organised to arrive at the loft a specific time, they never showed up. Finally they had the sail couriered to me at their expense. Stay well clear is my advice. Much better sailmakers around.

PurpleKate

Visit site
I think its all been said, don't go anywhere near Westaway. I had a very bad experience a few years ago on a second hand Trysail. lots of chasing, after months sent me a pile of shite not matching the description, charged me for new slides and tack line but clearly not new when finally the right sail arrived.
If you want second hand sails C&J marine at Chicester have loads...
if you want new I would recommend Ultimate.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Has anyone had experience of buying new sails from Westaway Sails?
Thanks
Leon
Yes they Westaway produced excellent sails for me. Really nice, better than my Crusader sail.

However suggest pay only half down half to follow as delivery can slip somewhat and money is the carrot for that donkey

Bought a fine socond hand trisail from them more recently, though I collected it myself which derisked it a bit.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Westaway sails. Common opinions suggests strongly that you should avoid.

I've always had good experience and good sails from Kemp sails, but have usually bought cruising sails. Kemp design and manufacture in the UK and have always measured my boats before starting the sails. Their sails fitted my boat perfectly, first time.

As we are in the Yacht Racing, Tech and Design part of the forum I'll assume that you are looking for performance. In this case I'd be looking to order from Hyde, Rolly Tasker or Goacher.

My dealings with Hyde have always been good although they design in the UK and manufacture in the far east. Again, they measured my boat and did add a bit more roach on the sail, in line with my request.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Well, I have just ordered a new sail from Westaway. Probably may arrive a bit later than their predicted 6 weeks, but the quality will compensate. Probably can collect it on way to moorings saving a bit of time and money and avoid cluttering up house

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Well, I have just ordered a new sail from Westaway. Probably may arrive a bit later than their predicted 6 weeks, but the quality will compensate. Probably can collect it on way to moorings saving a bit of time and money and avoid cluttering up house

Amazing! You want to spend money with a company that has disappointed and failed to send goods or refunds to others.

Some people love risk. Embrace it even. I used to jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft for fun and also sailed several different types of boat that didn't want to stay upright on their own. More recently I was lucky enough to work in an office where most of one of my teams went off with CV19, I didn't get it despite being sat between 2 guys who did get it (within 2m).

But after reading the above email chain where people have little that is positive to say about Westaway sails? Well, I guess you enjoy risking your money. (many do, loads of bookies make good money from this activity).

But placing an order with a company with whom many aren't keen? Fine, just do it if you want, but take a look at the Companies House website first. There are 2x Westaway sails companies. Directors of both have the same surname. Once company was dissolved last year, the other is registered dormant.

Or you own Westaway and are looking to drum up some business? Please do tell!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Amazing! You want to spend money with a company that has disappointed and failed to send goods or refunds to others.

Some people love risk. Embrace it even. I used to jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft for fun and also sailed several different types of boat that didn't want to stay upright on their own. More recently I was lucky enough to work in an office where most of one of my teams went off with CV19, I didn't get it despite being sat between 2 guys who did get it (within 2m).

But after reading the above email chain where people have little that is positive to say about Westaway sails? Well, I guess you enjoy risking your money. (many do, loads of bookies make good money from this activity).

But placing an order with a company with whom many aren't keen? Fine, just do it if you want, but take a look at the Companies House website first. There are 2x Westaway sails companies. Directors of both have the same surname. Once company was dissolved last year, the other is registered dormant.

Or you own Westaway and are looking to drum up some business? Please do tell!
My deposit hasnt risked a great deal of money compared with the other costs in restoring boat to my idea of usable condition. (newer engine, new nav equipment and now a bowsprit) I wasnt dissappointed before in a Westaway sail indeed I was very well pleased except that it arrived 2 weeks late.

Westaways bad reputation is mostly on the muddle they get into on second hand sails, and even then I managed to get what I want by dropping in.

I am ordering new, and have stated clearly they only get remainder of money on production of goods. This is a good carrot to hold out

They went bust once 9 years ago and reformed. Many a business like that around the world, and no evidence of dishonesty here unlike some of the big so called respectable traders with massive mansions/salaries despite massive debts

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
My deposit hasnt risked a great deal of money compared with the other costs in restoring boat to my idea of usable condition. (newer engine, new nav equipment and now a bowsprit) I wasnt dissappointed before in a Westaway sail indeed I was very well pleased except that it arrived 2 weeks late.

Westaways bad reputation is mostly on the muddle they get into on second hand sails, and even then I managed to get what I want by dropping in.

I am ordering new, and have stated clearly they only get remainder of money on production of goods. This is a good carrot to hold out

They went bust once 9 years ago and reformed. Many a business like that around the world, and no evidence of dishonesty here unlike some of the big so called respectable traders with massive mansions/salaries despite massive debts
And the Westaway genoa arrived early. Ordered 31 May picked up from their works 18th June. Flew it that day on trip from boatyard to mooring and seemed excellent.

tomb

Visit site
Steer clear of Westaway at all costs. They agreed to refund my £400 for a sail that was never sent to me. I spent ages on the phone and by email chasing them and got every excuse under the sun. I eventually issued proceedings in the Small Claims Court and got judgement. They still didn't pay so it is now in the hands of the bailiffs.

Ianqv

Visit site
Steer clear of Westaway at all costs. They agreed to refund my £400 for a sail that was never sent to me. I spent ages on the phone and by email chasing them and got every excuse under the sun. I eventually issued proceedings in the Small Claims Court and got judgement. They still didn't pay so it is now in the hands of the bailiffs.

Please keep us posted. So many people fall victim to this truly vile company!

Stenvis

Visit site
Please heed the warnings posted here. Westaway owe me £1,000+ and I'm still trying to get it back after 6 months.

Seajet

Visit site
Such a shame - in the good old days Westaway sails were standard fit when Sadlers were making sailors' boats, and they made a good combination.

Up to the 1990's they were my go to loft and provided excellent sails with no messing about.

Something has made the wheels fall off their wagon, I wouldn't dream of using them again after everything said on here - and the above is just the tip of the iceberg !

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Such a shame - in the good old days Westaway sails were standard fit when Sadlers were making sailors' boats, and they made a good combination.

Up to the 1990's they were my go to loft and provided excellent sails with no messing about.

Something has made the wheels fall off their wagon, I wouldn't dream of using them again after everything said on here - and the above is just the tip of the iceberg !
As I said earlier they still make excellent sails and they are my go to for all boats.

Its their secondhand business thats the issue, and even then a personal visit will sort it. not much good if you are not in West Country - but thats already a burden for you