Bow to passarrelle

johnf

Visit site
We are moored bow to in Spain. We are in Med side with virtually no tide. WE have a plank precariously balanced on the bow but would like something raather more stable. Currently we have large bow roller with Delta Anchor on it but have seen metal bars projecting out with attachments. Has anyone used these and any comments on how successful this is would be gratefully received

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
I haven't personally used this set up but know of several who do. They had the bar, usually around 1" diameter, made in Gibraltar, with a passarrelle 'socket' on one end. The bar fits across the bow, slotted between opposite holes in the toerail and is reversible - allowing the passarrelle to be fitted either port or stbd.

Another arrangement is to have a two hooked sort of fabrication which slots over the flukes of the anchor, or the pulpit if it's a substantial one, with a steadying bar angled and forked to the bow.

I just use a plank......or jump! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pandos

Visit site
When I bought my boat there was a very simple arrangement for bording "bows too"

On the stem there was bolted a bracket with a gudgeon, on the end of a plank was the female part that sat over the gudgeon. the other end of the plank sat on the dock.

When not in use the plank was pulled up by using some bungy cord attached to the spinaker halyard.

Simple and secure in use and easy to fit/remove.

Refueler

Visit site
This is a common problem with basically Brit Spec boats. The poor Bow arrangements.

You will have noted that countries that frequently use bow to mooring have split pulpits and bow plank arrangements specifically to cater.
IMHO given the wider ranging cruising made now by many - it's high time Brit / other NW Europe boats starting offering this better system as standard.

There are also kits that can be retro-fitted if anyone wishes to. Of course one stumbling block is the wrap-round pulpit. But this is cut, faired and new front bar fitted lower down.

Here's a boat that has had the kit fitted along with the telescopic boarding ladder :

Image045.jpg

kalindi

Visit site
I have recently acquired a boat, tradewind 33, which is normally moored bows to with a passarelle for boarding. The passerelle can be used either side of the bows and is located on a stainless steel bar extending about 12inches again from either side of the bow. The passerelle is held firmly in place and prevented from sliding off the bar by tying on with a rope. So far it seems to work fine but I am a little concerned about the damage the bars could do to a neighboring boat if manouvering into or out of a berth went a little wrong

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
We have a metal passarelle which was just 'perched' between the foredeck and dockside when we bought it. I had simple lashing to the pulpit so if it slipped, at least we wouldn't lose it.

Then one day we had novice crew arrive to join us for the week, and the lady still in land shoes from her flight, slid to one side of the passerelle which started to capsize. She ended up dangling from the pulpit, over the mucky stagnant water of Almerimar!

Later that evening after a few glasses of wine we all thought it hilarious, but the next day I had a proper bracket made up which bolted on to the side of the anchor roller. On the other end was a piece of tube to provide a socket for the 'male' fitting on the passarelle. SWMBO and other ladies were then quite happy to climb and off on their own.

I removed the whole thing when we got back to the UK, as it is not needed so I could take some pictures if you wish.

In summary: Please do not rely on precarious planks !!

johnf

Visit site
Many thanks for suggestions and photos, There seems to be some agreement that a side attachment to the bow roller with a female plug for the plank plus male plug is the way to go. I will investigate having one made. Again thanks for all comments

TYKE

Visit site
My boat has a passarelle attached to a bar that goes through 2 holes in the toerail similar to those described, The shore end of the passarelle has 2 small wheels which allow movement forward and back. The problem is that as the boat moves laterally the wheels make considerable noise as they scrape sideways. I would suggest that if you go for this type you get casters as opposed to wheels fitted to the shore end of the plank.