Blue Star Cafe Hamble - Be warned !

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Moored up on the Village Jetty last night and had a lovely Thai in the restaurant at the bottom of the hill, (best Lamb massaman in the world). We were having a night on the boat after a Med Cruise aboard Independence of the Seas so no food on board. Going for a bit of breakfast and we came across the Blue Star Cafe, (you actually see the kiosk from the mooring but there is a modern cafe round the back).

Full English, poached egg on toast, 2 coffees and a slice of toast with Jam. £17 and change. Asked for brown sauce to be told it's by the counter. Went up and the tight buggers wanted another 20p so I left it out of principle.

Daughter finished her toast and Jam and wanted another slice so sent her off with £1. Toast is 50p on the menu, jam portion 40p. Couple of minutes later she comes back saying she needs another 10p. That's odd I though but gave her some more money. Fearing I was going mad I grabbed a menu to check the menu and sure enough toast was 50p, a portion of Jam 40p. To my calculations that came to 90p, not the £1.10 they had charged Em's. Went and spoke to the owner, a fairly gruff old bird who told me they had to put it on a plate and so had charged 20p for the pleasure. I also foolishly mentioned I thought it was a bit mean charging 20p for brown sauce on a £6 or £6.50 breakfast.

I was then told how she'd washed "18 gallons" of sauce down the sink when they used to give it away and for some reason she told me her last electricity bill was £1,000 (presumably she thought I was trying to complete a business plan for my own cafe !!). She offered me 10p back so as to only rip poor old Emily off 10p but I declined.

On the plus side we weren't charged for the cups which held the coffee, only the £2.40 advertised on the menu and ditto the plates for the breakfasts.

I was tempted to ask for a partial refund as they hadn't bothered to fix their toilets which were out of order and so if you were being that picky we hadn't been provided with their full service - but I decided to cut my losses and run :)

Rarely have I met such a penny pincher and to charge more than your menu is odd if not illegal. My advice would be to avoid the Blue Star cafe and walk a couple of yards up the hill should you find yourself in need of a bacon butty whilst overnighting at the Hamble.

Anyway, rant over. A perfect end to a lovely couple of weeks and I even saw the Ice Cream boat as we left the Hamble as featured in this issue of Motor Boat and Yachting.

Keep smiling

Henry :)

mateyboy

Visit site
A total non starter for me then as I use about 6 or 7 sachets of brown sauce on my breakfast, could buy 2 bottles for that!

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Next time you want breakfast, come here. Its €3.95 including coffee, orange juice, toast & jam, served with a bottle of brown sauce on the table. :D

p.s. you can't get a decent kebab though.

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
I was in Gosport at the w/e for the Navy Days thing.

Walked into Weatherspoons - nice cup of proper coffee (largeish) and a bacon roll (proper size) £1.49

as much sauce , sugar as you wish - served at your table and no charge for the hire of the cup nor for the plate. (Nice bacon roll too I should add)

How do they do that for the price?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I was in Gosport at the w/e for the Navy Days thing.

Walked into Weatherspoons - nice cup of proper coffee (largeish) and a bacon roll (proper size) £1.49

as much sauce , sugar as you wish - served at your table and no charge for the hire of the cup nor for the plate. (Nice bacon roll too I should add)

How do they do that for the price?

Keep clear of Wetherspoons - the food gives you hiccoughs & you will double post. :eek:

See - I told you so, didn't I! :D

EDIT: He's cheated & deleted one of the double posts!

Last edited:

davedpc

Visit site
If you was to drive upriver to the Riverside Boatyard {home of aladins cave barge] you can get a full 'english' with coffee tea & toast etc all for a fiver at the outside mobile canteen. Well recommended for boaters and passers bye alike.

BruceDanforth

Visit site
I wouldn't have had it in the first place for £17. I can get a pontoon visitors berth round here for the night and still get a fry up for that money.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I'm so glad you all agree. I felt a bit cheap having a word with the owner but as you say it wasn't a cheap breakfast so to try and charge yet more money for a bit of sauce is penny pinching beyond the call of duty. As for charging £1.10 for 90 pence worth of food according to the menu, I suspect a business owner who can only see things from the perspective of a book keeper and sees each customer as a chance to try and bring in a few more pence.

I shall vote with my feet in the future.

Re: Gosport, it's the new Sandbanks I tell you. We've had our boat there for getting on 10 years now and bought a lovely flat overlooking the harbour a few years ago as a little bolt hole. I'd love to see some more up market eateries. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post them up. Either Gosport or the local area.

Henry :)

rachel1

Visit site
dont agree

I am a regular customer down the blue star cafe, and i have to say i dont agree with you at all, aswell as the beautifal location with the most superb view, the customer service there is fantastic, so that 'fairly gruff old bird' you were talking about has always made my visit down there feel VERY welcome.
You say about the sauces, but now our days we have to pay for sauces all over the place. and i wouldnt ever imagine them to rip anybody off, as i have lived in hamble for years and have never heard anything of that sort before, always heard positive feedback.
So if anyone wants a good decent meal (and the meals are huge),or just a proper coffee, i highly recommend visiting the blue star cafe. Believe me, you wont be let down.
Rachel

DAKA

Visit site
I am a regular customer down the blue star cafe, and i have to say i dont agree with you at all, aswell as the beautifal location with the most superb view, the customer service there is fantastic, so that 'fairly gruff old bird' you were talking about has always made my visit down there feel VERY welcome.
You say about the sauces, but now our days we have to pay for sauces all over the place. and i wouldnt ever imagine them to rip anybody off, as i have lived in hamble for years and have never heard anything of that sort before, always heard positive feedback.
So if anyone wants a good decent meal (and the meals are huge),or just a proper coffee, i highly recommend visiting the blue star cafe. Believe me, you wont be let down.
Rachel

Just a thought Rachel 1 but why dont you print this off and show it to the owner, its getting close to the end of the busy season and an offer for one 'free sauce' or one ' free paper plate' voucher for forum members may well produce a welcome surge in business :)

I am heading that way on Saturday and the Blue star is on my list of attractions to visit, I enjoy the faulty towers re runs too :D

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Rachel

So, "Rachel", how would you describe yourself? "Gruff old bird", by any chance?

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Rachel

What you say does not mean one jot as they broke the law by publishing a price and charging more. That is a crime and trading standards take a dim view of such practises.

As to the price of the breakfast. That is outrageous.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
How many breakfast did the £17 buy? If it's 2 you're right, it's outrageous. But if it's 3, it's not so bad.

£6.50 for a breakfast is in my opinion, a lot of money. Should be £5 to £5.99 max.

I gather the poached egg on toast was £6.

"Full English, poached egg on toast, 2 coffees and a slice of toast with Jam. £17 "

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
£6.50 for a breakfast is in my opinion, a lot of money. Should be £5 to £5.99 max.

"Full English, poached egg on toast, 2 coffees and a slice of toast with Jam. £17 "

I agree entirely, full english should be £4.99. Just though if it was 3 breakfasts, just under £6 a piece wouldn't be bad darn sarf.
Hope the folk at PD look at this ;)