Am I a "real" sailor now?

laika

Visit site
What makes a "proper" sailor? Crossing the channel? Crossing an ocean? Surviving a storm? Surviving psittacosis? Reading this forum I've long been aware that there's one significant experience you "proper" sailors have all had which I haven't.

Fray Bentos. The dead animal contents were a bit of a blocker, but hey, it's 2020 now.

I just ate my first. I'm not down to the boat until wednesday so cheated and cooked it in a domestic oven. Is the under-pastry supposed to be that soggy? I have to say that the gelatinous "gravy" or whatever it's supposed to be was not appealing and I'm not loving the idea of another one but if the full initiation ritual requires me cooking and eating one onboard I'll do it.

snapshotimagehandler_290316582.jpeg

ctva

Visit site
You are a braver sailor than me. I’ve still to pluck up the courage to buy let alone try one, veggie or not.

Respect.

johnalison

Visit site
You are not a proper sailor until you have committed the contents of your stomach to the deep on at least one occasion. This may not be unconnected with the FB idea, of course. I performed the trick on a miserable X-Channel ferry called Cote d'Azur in the '50s, and not since, yet.

laika

Visit site
You are not a proper sailor until you have committed the contents of your stomach to the deep on at least one occasion.

Crossing the ionian in 1988. Whilst I've felt below par on a number of occasions since I've been fortunate enough to manage to deal with it. Looking at the jelly left in the Fray Bentos tin whilst cleaning it to put in the recycling has made me a bit queasy though so perhaps I'll forgo this as a regular sailing repast.

Vegan Spam? Whilst "omnipork" has a definite ring to it ("More omnipork mrs Arbuthnot?") I recall detesting spam as a child so have no particular desire to consume a fake version.

RJJ

Visit site
Crossing the ionian in 1988. Whilst I've felt below par on a number of occasions since I've been fortunate enough to manage to deal with it. Looking at the jelly left in the Fray Bentos tin whilst cleaning it to put in the recycling has made me a bit queasy though so perhaps I'll forgo this as a regular sailing repast.

Vegan Spam? Whilst "omnipork" has a definite ring to it ("More omnipork mrs Arbuthnot?") I recall detesting spam as a child so have no particular desire to consume a fake version.
Well, I am happy to be the minority. Sailed from Oz to Falklands. Fray bentos considered a treat. We found they were better if you removed the pastry "lid" and cooked them as open pies, with the "lid" as a side dish. How sophisticated were we??

Stemar

Visit site
If it did it wouldn't be the only liar around ;)

"Fray Bentos is the capital city of the Río Negro Department, in south-western Uruguay. Its port on the Uruguay River is one of the nation's most important harbours."

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Montevideo is(was) a better run ashore and across the estuary Buenos Aires better than either. I dont know what they put in the Fray Bentos tins but source material is best eaten locally with a fresh salad and pommes frites (y)