AIS - Driftnets Keep Clear

Gwylan

Visit site
Someone must have registered the AIS. So they must accept some responsibility for any incident they are anticipating by putting the beacon on the nets.

See you in court.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Someone must have registered the AIS. So they must accept some responsibility for any incident they are anticipating by putting the beacon on the nets.

See you in court.

What strange logic. You really think adding extra visibility to fishing nets increases the fishermans liability ?

MikeBz

Visit site
It's an admission of responsibility for the visibility of the nets. More importantly, it must add some traceability given that the AIS is registered.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It's an admission of responsibility for the visibility of the nets. More importantly, it must add some traceability given that the AIS is registered.

So, it would be better if they take the beacons off and use milk bottles to mark the nets ?

PilotWolf

Visit site
Fishermen are regularly put down here for not marking their gear properly.

Someone is taking the effort to mark their gear and is still put down!

Commercial fish gear is expensive - they don’t want to lose it.

This is a great step forward if they don’t lose their gear and no one gets caught in it.

PW.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Hmmm, you don’t need to register AIS transmitters, you’re confusing them with EPIRBs and PLBs which do need to be registered. The MMSI is in the 9********* series of numbers which are set aside for Aids to Navigation. Not sure how you get allocated such an MMSI, but the beacons come with the first 3 numbers pre-programmed.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hmmm, you don’t need to register AIS transmitters, you’re confusing them with EPIRBs and PLBs which do need to be registered. The MMSI is in the 9********* series of numbers which are set aside for Aids to Navigation. Not sure how you get allocated such an MMSI, but the beacons come with the first 3 numbers pre-programmed.

AIS transponders have to be registered with Ofcom and will be part of the ships radio license, the same as EPIRBs PLBs etc etc. Theses don't have MMSI numbers.

AIS aids to navigation do have MMSI numbers and do need to be registered with Ofcom too.

gertha

Visit site
Everyone be carefull
The Rainbow Warier is looking for a fight.
Look out for French ribs trying to get into Shotley

Gwylan

Visit site
Clearly the parodox of the situation missed some here.

Run into unmarked gear, the most dangerous option and you have no recourse - not traceable. Unless you can get DNA off the milk bottle, football in a net bag or whatever is the pick-up.

Someone half decent and looking to protect their expensive equipment risks being persued by the litigious.

Daydream believer

Visit site
. Who bothers to look at a chartplotter going up or down the Wallet?
Is there something in the colregs about using every item available for watch keeping? That suggests that if one has radar it should be turned on ( You have it do you not?) plus if one has AIS, then it should not only be turned on, but be in use, ie regular checks by those on watch. So the fact you are on a jolly up the Wallet is no excuse Roger.:eek:
Or have I just failed yachtmaster?:cry:

That will start a thread drift,( or was it a net) I bet:mad:

MoodySabre

Visit site
Is there something in the colregs about using every item available for watch keeping? That suggests that if one has radar it should be turned on ( You have it do you not?) plus if one has AIS, then it should not only be turned on, but be in use, ie regular checks by those on watch. So the fact you are on a jolly up the Wallet is no excuse Roger.:eek:
Or have I just failed yachtmaster?:cry:
Well Sam, no I don't have radar. I have AIS on the VHF for ship-dodging but I suppose I could set an alarm. I don't have a chartplotter but sometimes take an iPad but don't have AIS on it. With all the pots there I just rely on my eyesight. I've only sailed for 20 years since when a paper chart and eyeballs have ceased being adequate. :(

MikeBz

Visit site
So what are you saying then ?

I'm saying what I wrote with my words, not the ones you imagined I wrote. How would you read "It's an admission of responsibility for the visibility of the nets. " and imagine that what I was saying was "it would be better if they take the beacons off and use milk bottles to mark the nets"? Maybe you were just having a bad day yesterday.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.