Advice for a couple of new Day Skippers

Donheist

Visit site
Exactly what he said. I have my own boat in NZ, but chose to do a flotilla as a gentle introduction to sailing in Greece with the intention of bareboat charter on a later trip. Enjoyed the whole flotilla thing so much that we did two more. A surprising number of fellow flotilla sailors also had their own boats in the UK but like us were enjoying kicking back and doing the no stress flotillas.
I did a flotilla once even though we have our own boat. For me it’s basically valet parking - no messing about finding a port, booking a berth or having to get in early to find a spot. No walking the length of the town before settling on the first restaurant we found. Removing choice can be very relaxing! And if anything breaks and it’s not me who has to ask where the Chandler is, find the parts and fix it. Bliss. I like the responsibility of running my boat and learning all the time but every so often it’s nice to chill. It’s the nearest thing we’ll ever get to a ‘normal’ holiday!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
It's a qualification originating from the UN and administered by the recognised sailing associations/authorities of all the countries in Europe, designed to prove that you are competent to take command of a chartered boat in another European country. An ICC, in any country, can only be issued to a resident of that country.
I know it's born out of a UN resolution, but my point was that I thought it was issued by a nation for their nationals using that nations registered boats, not foreign registered boats? That the use of an ICC for chartering foreign flagged boats was outside the scope of the ICC (but maybe accepted in certain cases). I don't know if I could find my first ICC from back in the 90's, but I'm sure I read somewhere on it about UK nationals on UK boats. The max powerboat size on subsequent ICCs has certainly dropped from 25m to 10m, even though I took the ICC test in a powerboat.

laika

Visit site
I'm sure I read somewhere on it about UK nationals on UK boats.

Per Spirit (of Glenans) post #40, I think this may be a confusion with the rule which says ICCs can only be issued to residents of the issuing organisation's country if the applicant is a national of a country which has signed up to resolution 40.

Here's what the RYA say it's for:
UK ICC issued by RYA | boating abroad | RYA

If it were just UK nationals on uk boats there would be no need: we have RYA qualifications for that. I believe the ICC's very point is providing a document people from one country can show to people in another to prove their competence

Last edited: