Advice and recommendations for sailing from Craobh

awol

Visit site
Enough! Going dewy eyed and nostalgic at the thought of sailing again is understandable but a pinch of reality is needed. The OP may be renting 40' of French aluminium but even that is going to notice the remnants of a Southwesterly gale as they exit the Cuan Sound, that is if they haven't tested their lifting keel by then. Even the most experienced, follically challenged posters on here have strayed in that passage. Then there is the unremitting rain, poor visibility, cold, more rocks, tidal vagaries, Culicoides Impunctatus, Calmac ferries and don't forget the natives. Encouraging disease ridden, Brexit voting southeners is simply furthering the aims of the MAGA (Make Alba Great Again) zealots with their chip laden shoulders.
If you must encourage them please keep them in places like Oban, Tobermory and Dunstaffanage, places the locals avoid (except for the cheap beer in the Corryvreckan) and away from my favourite secluded anchorages.

Quandary

Visit site
Be fair, this one is only coming for one week in September and he is using a boat that is aready here though I suppose the risk is that he could start coming back. There is a faction over here that would support discouraging Edinbuggers as well.

adwuk

Visit site
If you must encourage them please keep them in places like Oban, Tobermory and Dunstaffanage, places the locals avoid (except for the cheap beer in the Corryvreckan) and away from my favourite secluded anchorages.

I thought you were about to recommend Portree. I hear the folks there are particularly helpful to visiting yachtsmen!

ctva

Visit site
Be fair, this one is only coming for one week in September and he is using a boat that is aready here though I suppose the risk is that he could start coming back. There is a faction over here that would support discouraging Edinbuggers as well.
Then we’ll start on the Irish... ?

dunedin

Visit site
............The OP may be renting 40' of French aluminium but even that is going to notice the remnants of a Southwesterly gale as they exit the Cuan Sound,.........

This sounds like the voice of experience from the skipper of a (very elegant) sailing submarine :)
Suspect the French aluminium ship has slightly higher freeboard.

Hopefully the weather will be excellent. But it might be worth the OP having a backup plan in case of stronger winds.
Fortunately if not too ballistic, a relatively sheltered cruise can be structured around short hops to Kerrera, Loch Aline, Tobermory, Salen Loch Sunart, Loch Spelve etc.

Ink

Visit site
Given that holidays abroad probably aren’t a good idea for a while yet, my parents have decided to charter a yacht out of Craobh this year and they’ve invited me along to provide another pair of hands, another brain for the pilotage, and some younger muscle.

This is to be in early September, in the hope that things will be closer to normal by then - though all arrangements are refundable just in case they aren’t.

My sole experience of the Scottish coast is a brief work visit to the Qinetiq site on Loch Alsh, but I know we have some forumites who sail in that part of the world and I’d be grateful for any advice or recommendations. I’m particularly looking for suggestions of places to visit (or avoid) - in new areas I tend to find that “how to get to X” is reasonably easy to determine from charts, tide tables and pilot books, but choosing which X and Y to visit is harder to decide.

The boat is an Ovni 43 - bit bigger than needed for just three of us, but I was intrigued at the chance to try something different to the normal charter BenJenBav, and my dad rarely needs much convincing to go larger ;). Hopefully a reasonable turn of speed with those ten feet over what I’m used to, and a lifting keel to reduce draught to 0.8m - not sure how relevant that is to the local geography but worth noting.

They’ve booked a week that’s building towards springs - 4th to 11th of September - and I know there are some interesting swirly bits between the islands. Some local expertise on those wouldn’t be unwelcome either. I have a 2018 copy of the CCC pilot (dad’s got a newer one we’ll take up with us), and I’ve just ordered the Imray chart of the area (I like to have a paper overview for making plans). I’m also aware of Antares charts and will get those set up at some point between now and then.

Thanks,

Pete

If no one else has suggested get yourself a copy of Welcome Anchorages. This will give you an indication of what anchorages/marinas /moorings are available and the facilities available at each.

Ink

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If no one else has suggested get yourself a copy of Welcome Anchorages. This will give you an indication of what anchorages/marinas /moorings are available and the facilities available at each.
There was also a very nice book called "Cruising Scotland", published by the CCC as a companion to the pilot books but now alas out of print and only available at a fabulous price.

I'm rather fond of the "West of Scotland Cruising Map" which gives a nice overview of possibilities and facilities for not-very much. Just a shade over a tenner on Amazon.

51DohEPU51L._SX237_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

prv

Visit site

Nope, not mentioned yet but sounds very useful. Thanks.

There was also a very nice book called "Cruising Scotland", published by the CCC as a companion to the pilot books but now alas out of print and only available at a fabulous price.

It's mentioned in the introduction to the Pilot and I was vaguely thinking of buying it. I guess I'll discount that plan, then.

I'm rather fond of the "West of Scotland Cruising Map" which gives a nice overview of possibilities and facilities for not-very much. Just a shade over a tenner on Amazon.

I'll probably get it, then. I'm quite a visual / spatial person so I'd prefer things laid out on a map than purely in text.

Pete

Quandary

Visit site
Note that 'Welcome Anchorages' while free, is only updated if the locals decide to send in a report, meaning that unserviced and removed moorings tend still to be listed long after their demise. It is useful for finding a shop or a pub thouugh provided those have survived the pandemic. Also the title is misleading it only lists an anchorage if a community or business sponsor it, so few of the best places are in there.

wully1

Visit site
My favourite cruise planning tools are:

-Hamish Haswel Smiths book The Scottish Islands
- CCC Pilot books
-Imray charts
- Antaries charts on the Aye-Pad
- Large whisky

Martin&Rene

Visit site
You want to get Multimap plus its Marine Charts as well as the Antares charts as they work together. The Antares Charts may only cover an area say 50m by 50m, so you can follow your path in on the Admiralty charts and then switch to the Antares chart at the last minute. On a PC or laptop, Multimap has a 3D fly through option so you can see a stylised video of your route, and it is really realistic.

You can download Welcome anchorages here;

View Publication | Welcome Anchorages

As others have said, it does not change much from year to year.

Like one of the previous submitters, I would take the ferry from McInroy’s Point to Hunter’s Quay across the Clyde. Parents can drive straight down the M8 into Port Glasgow and shop at the Tesco store. You can take the train to Bogston station (walking distance to James Watt Marina) or Greenock to meet up with them.

As you pass the shop, do what the locals do and buy tickets for the ferry from

KeyStore Paul's Food & Wine
94 Shore Street

PA19 1RB

(It may be only Cash Payment, but the tickets are much cheaper than on the ferry.)

It is a much easier and more pleasant journey than through Dumbarton , not much longer and you get to see the Clyde and Loch Fyne.

If you have time, go to the Crinan end of the canal and look out, as it will help you get your bearings.

I will buy my tide tables when I finally get up to the marina, so here is a quick guess.

Sat 27th Feb is a full moon (called the snow moon) and Oban high tide is 0552.
Sun 22nd August is a full moon (for some strange reason called the Sturgeon moon) so high tide will be around 0700hr BST. Tides start to run North or West around about 5hrs after Oban HW, so say around 1200hr. A fortnight later near neaps, they will be around the same time. You just have to go with the tides. In September you miss the long evenings.

Follow Jumbleduck’s advice and do not plan ahead. A lot of charter yachts are berthed near us and we often hear tales of a horrible day spent bashing their way to windward against a force 5-6. The only reason they were doing it, was to meet the plan they made months ago.

Do not be concerned about some of the negative comments that appear on the forum. The people you meet, (shop keepers, marina staff, pub staff etc.) will all welcome you. They have the economic good sense to appreciate that the 20% of berthed boats in Scotland that are owned by “non-Scots” bring in around £20mill to the coastal communities.

Scomber

Visit site
My favourite cruise planning tools are:

-Hamish Haswel Smiths book The Scottish Islands
- CCC Pilot books
-Imray charts
- Antaries charts on the Aye-Pad
- Large whisky
Exactly the same as us!!! Fingers crossed for later this season.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Do not be concerned about some of the negative comments that appear on the forum. The people you meet, (shop keepers, marina staff, pub staff etc.) will all welcome you. They have the economic good sense to appreciate that the 20% of berthed boats in Scotland that are owned by “non-Scots” bring in around £20mill to the coastal communities.
Plus we Scots are an essentially friendly bunch!