12V Vacuum cleaner

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Does anyone have any recommendations? Don't want a rechargeable or mains one. Less of a requirement than it was - our small dog does a good job of removing crumbs! But still useful if doing any internal revarnishing or whatever.

RupertW

Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations? Don't want a rechargeable or mains one. Less of a requirement than it was - our small dog does a good job of removing crumbs! But still useful if doing any internal revarnishing or whatever.

I've bought some of the Halfords or service station ones but they haven't lasted the winter. For the last 5 years I've been using a Dyson rechargeable and can now probably say its longevity has paid me back. But as the 12v ones always failed when I most needed them its the reliability of the Dyson that worked for me from day one.

If I don't get to a marina in a week - which is unusual then I recharge under way using an inverter (which I also use to refuel the outboard)

jeanpaulcopie

Visit site
I have a Black and Decker. Does the job! But not the one with a battery... Just with a 12V cigarette lighter plug. 5M cable and of course no need to recharge a battery.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
An observation! I have no doubt the Dyson rechargeable is an excellent cleaner; I have owned Dyson mains cleaners at home. But my aim is to reduce our dependence on mains electricity, so I specifically said I wasn't interested in rechargeable cleaners in my first post (at least, unless they can be recharged from 12V). For what I want, the B&D cleaner looks ideal.

Pasarell

Visit site
I had the B&D 12v on my last boat and it was very good but lead was only just long enough to get everywhere. On current boat I have a Hoover Freedom rechargeable. Looks and works like a Dyson but half the price. It comes with a 240v charger that converts to 20v DC output whiwch means I can charge it with one of my Maplins DC - DC converters. While I was happy with the B&D this is far superior and has to trailing wire.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Thanks for all the contributions; we have bought the B&D machine, which arrives from "Tooled-up.com" today - very fast delivery, as I only ordered it yesterday, and chose them on the basis of price! It looks OK; hopefully I'll try it (on the car!) later today.

Other threads that may be of interest