Young children and Fly Bridges

Hillbilly

Visit site
Hi all,

After a bit of practical advice. As the title suggests, we are looking at switching up to a Fly Bridge boat, most likely Princess F43/45 2017-2020 model or very similar (maybe a 52). We have two young children (6 month baby and a 5yr old). Side rails and guides on most of the fly bridge examples we are looking at are not particularly high. Naturally the kids (and everybody else) would be in life jackets. The big fear, whilst being as aware, vigilant and precautionary as possible....is that it only takes a second for a kiddie to climb on the seat and look a bit too far over the edge! There is a thought process going on about a short tether to increase safety, but I was keen to hear practical thoughts and experiences from anyone else in the same boat (pun intended!).

The alternative is to consider more of a sports style boat, like a V50, but I fear this may ultimately compromise the longevity of the boat. Expected cruising would be UK south coast, occasional channel crossings (e.g. Deauville) and then eventually some extended med time).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Portofino

Visit site
Eye sight all the time while on deck .= large cockpit sports cruiser .Supposed to be a family activity you all share together ?

Other wise you will be billy not mates up on the fly ( no mates in all the sense of the word :)) if “ She “ and the baby + kids are down stairs in the saloon, which will happen .

stelican

Visit site
Completely agree with Porto's post.
Seen this happen a few times whilst in the trade, Flybridge and young families doe's not work.
Good idea to leash them in the cockpit with enough freedom to get to edge but not go overboard, seems to work well and happy families.

markc

Visit site
I think it really depends on the boat. We've had our current FB boat since our kids were 3 and 7 and it's worked really well. There are a few things that help including internal stairs. We are nearly always on the FB together when underway and the kids are under strict instructions to stay put when close quarters manovering. We had a sports boat when our youngest was a baby and it didn't feel considerably safer, but at that age we did use a short tether when we were mooring.

I think the most important thing is to really drill safety into them the whole time and some of it will sink in! I'm actually most nervous with them getting on and off the boat by the passarelle.

Also in port or at anchor, with a FB the kids can be inside watching TV or drawing, on the same level as us when we're lounging in the cockpit... we spend far more time like this than underway.

The FB v SB debate is a popular topic... compromises with both!

kashurst

Visit site
+1 for a big sports cruiser, flybridges can be tricky with little ones. Especially the stairs when they inevitably "need a wee".
A sports cruiser means you can safely space out and still see them easily.

oldgit

Visit site
A single case anywhere of a "little un" falling off a flybridge and going over the side would nice.
We have around 100 boats in our club, most of which would be flybridges, never heard of single instance.
We have a fairly small 35 flybridge and both my 7 year old twin grandkids have been on the boat since they were born and have been going up and down the fly ladder as soon as they could climb. My new 20 month old grandson recently went up the ladder for the first time .
If you are lucky enough to have a family who actually like to go boating with you , do whatever you personally are comfortable with .

The number of times adults have not made it merely getting on and off the boat when moored is a different matter.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
We had a small sports cruiser and had been looking for a bigger one.
That was until we went to look at a flybridge boat and our daughter (who was then expecting our first grandchild) commented how much more child/family friendly the flybridge boat was . The was primarily due to the the relatively safe internal stairs - the stairs up to the flybridge being a hazard of course .
This view was on the basis of spending time together with the boat moored rather than being under way .

Solent Sailor

Visit site
Our twins were 4 and we had 6 and 8 year olds too when we bought our trawler style fly-bridge boat. How safe it was to access the bridge and how safe it was up there was a key concern for us for exactly these reasons. We have sensible steps all the way up, no ladders, and big wide side decks. Comparing our SeaRanger to other boats, such as a Rodman 41 which was also under consideration at one time, there is no question - big wide side decks and sensible steps are so much safer than ladders and narrow walkways. The only thing that would be better would be acccess aft of the saloon, whereas ours is at either side due to the aft cabin - but you can't have everything. I generally peer over the side of the flybridge coaming when a child decides they want to go down below whilst under way, just to check they get there safely. If it is rough, they pop in and out through the sliding window at the aft end of the saloon.

jrudge

Visit site
I think boats are as safe as you make them.

I have cameras looking at the lower deck on the flybridge.

No one goes up or down ( regardless of age ) without letting me know.

some flybridge have low rails but for a child a tether will work. It is little different to the cockpit of a sports boat - especially the sun pad.

James L

Visit site
With a 6 month old in the UK I would go with a flybridge.
You then have the option of driving indoors whenever the weather isn't quite perfect. With a sports cruiser you or your significant other would be spending a lot of time below decks with a sleeping baby. Or you would be going everywhere with the covers up.

My kids are 8, 6 and 8 months.
When the 8 and 6 year old were very small we would only use the flybridge a few times over the summer, it was just easier to drive from inside where we didn't worry about too much sun or cold or wind. Especially as they used to fall asleep whenever we were moving.
For the past 2 years my problem has been that there's no longer any room for me on the flybridge (we have a 35 footer with a single bench seat on the fly).

Regarding safety I don't allow them to move anywhere if we're going at any speed or it's rough and at other times I just make sure I know where they are and that they're wearing lifejackets.
Best advice I ever got was from a sailor who told me, they're wearing lifejackets, they won't drown, just let them fall in once and it will never happen again.
Haven't gotten around to letting them fall in yet but I've taken the "they won't drown" lesson to heart and I've realised that most of the time falling isn't the most dangerous thing on a boat.
Education is the most important thing, you need to teach them from a young age what is safe and what's not on the boat. You can only watch them 99% of the time, but their knowledge is looking after them always. If you always strap kids in they will learn to be lax and rely on the strap to save them, no problem when it's dangerous but the rest of the time let them a bit of freedom.
I got a climbing strap to connect the babies lifejacket to ours whenever we are moving anywhere, just in case they slipped out of our arms, or if we fell overboard etc we wouldn't lose hold of them.

rlw

Visit site
I favour the sports cruiser for this. Even when closed up the sunbed makes for a nice play area. All you need is a good heater to keep it pleasant.

Regardless of the choice when my kids were young when underway they were tethered and when mooring / locks they were in a car seat next to me. Sometimes screaming their head of in frustration but it allowed my wife and I to concentrate on the boat without having to worry about their safety. Once they realize it was just for a short moment it was not too bad and if you explain what you are doing they become part of the process which helps. I agree with letting them fall in in a controlled enviroment. Ends the discussion on why you need to hold on to them very quickly :)

Rocksteadee

Visit site
If you don’t get the kids used to a flybridge they will not get used to it.
There is a very sound theory in the psychology of teaching kids:
if you tell them not to go near the edge, they will at some point go near the edge to see why they must not go near the edge.
However if you take them to the edge and say look that is a long way down you could hurt yourself, you have taught that child to understand rather than to just obey a command

Rocksteadee

Visit site
With a 6 month old in the UK I would go with a flybridge.
You then have the option of driving indoors whenever the weather isn't quite perfect. With a sports cruiser you or your significant other would be spending a lot of time below decks with a sleeping baby. Or you would be going everywhere with the covers up.

My kids are 8, 6 and 8 months.
When the 8 and 6 year old were very small we would only use the flybridge a few times over the summer, it was just easier to drive from inside where we didn't worry about too much sun or cold or wind. Especially as they used to fall asleep whenever we were moving.
For the past 2 years my problem has been that there's no longer any room for me on the flybridge (we have a 35 footer with a single bench seat on the fly).

Regarding safety I don't allow them to move anywhere if we're going at any speed or it's rough and at other times I just make sure I know where they are and that they're wearing lifejackets.
Best advice I ever got was from a sailor who told me, they're wearing lifejackets, they won't drown, just let them fall in once and it will never happen again.
Haven't gotten around to letting them fall in yet but I've taken the "they won't drown" lesson to heart and I've realised that most of the time falling isn't the most dangerous thing on a boat.
Education is the most important thing, you need to teach them from a young age what is safe and what's not on the boat. You can only watch them 99% of the time, but their knowledge is looking after them always. If you always strap kids in they will learn to be lax and rely on the strap to save them, no problem when it's dangerous but the rest of the time let them a bit of freedom.
I got a climbing strap to connect the babies lifejacket to ours whenever we are moving anywhere, just in case they slipped out of our arms, or if we fell overboard etc we wouldn't lose hold of them.

There you go, what he said

BruceK

Visit site
The only time I have ever seen anybody fall off a flybridge was off Roy's old boat. Pesky guests looking for some shelter during a delightful F6.
And there is the problem. Flybridge jockeys almost NEVER helm from inside. Personally I dont think they know how to. All they see is the foredeck and if they cant see the water 30 yards in front of them they fall to pieces. And so where ever we travel we see raggie faces in all weather suits looking windswept and sour and just a tad hypothermic while the sports cruisers happily make way with t-shirt and shorts trying to open a flap every now and again so they dont overheat under the canvas. It's so bizarre you couldn't make it up, but there you go. It's true!

Rocksteadee

Visit site
The only time I have ever seen anybody fall off a flybridge was off Roy's old boat. Pesky guests looking for some shelter during a delightful F6.
And there is the problem. Flybridge jockeys almost NEVER helm from inside. Personally I dont think they know how to. All they see is the foredeck and if they cant see the water 30 yards in front of them they fall to pieces. And so where ever we travel we see raggie faces in all weather suits looking windswept and sour and just a tad hypothermic while the sports cruisers happily make way with t-shirt and shorts trying to open a flap every now and again so they dont overheat under the canvas. It's so bizarre you couldn't make it up, but there you go. It's true!
A F6 and pelting rain is a nice day in wales

BruceK

Visit site
A F6 and pelting rain is a nice day in wales

Every day is a brilliant day in Wales. And on this occasion nothing was going to prevent Roy rubbing shoulders with the boys at the club pub in Caernarfon.
At the end of the video you can make out the poor souls on the flybridge. Note the red jacket if you can. The following vid is remarkable in the red jacket has gone :p

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Every day is a brilliant day in Wales. And on this occasion nothing was going to prevent Roy rubbing shoulders with the boys at the club pub in Caernarfon.
At the end of the video you can make out the poor souls on the flybridge. Note the red jacket if you can. The following vid is remarkable in the red jacket has gone :p

Perfect conditions for being on the flybridge, the waves weren’t even breaking over the top