Yet another Spanish VAT on UK Boaters

maybh1

Visit site
Just returned from a terrific pre Christmas 17 night cruise on the Aurora out to the Eastern Med.

First stop Malaga

The night before we docked we were informed that anything purchased on board Aurora whilst she was docked in Malaga would incur a Spanish VAT levy of 8%:eek::confused::mad:

We will not be rushing back

May
xx

maybh1

Visit site
Do you know if they are applying this levy to the Canaries?

Although we cruise on a very regular basis this is the first time we have come across this.

May
xx

Nautorius

Visit site
Just returned from a terrific pre Christmas 17 night cruise on the Aurora out to the Eastern Med.

First stop Malaga

The night before we docked we were informed that anything purchased on board Aurora whilst she was docked in Malaga would incur a Spanish VAT levy of 8%:eek::confused::mad:

We will not be rushing back

May
xx

They are even trying to put a customs charge on entering/leaving Gibraltar (calling it a congestion charge!) Spanish are desperate for cash at the moment.

Nothing surprises me anymore...

Paul

Visit site
They are even trying to put a customs charge on entering/leaving Gibraltar (calling it a congestion charge!) Spanish are desperate for cash at the moment.

Nothing surprises me anymore...

Paul

They have done so before - at least they haven't closed the border this time.

RobHom

Visit site
Shazzam.... It seems somewhat like the VAT's charged in the EU and the formation of the EU is turning out to be little more than a scam to charge more taxes and hose down people and empty their pockets!! :mad:

Leaves blessed little incentive to travel over there....on a boat or otherwise.

oldgit

Visit site
"Leaves blessed little incentive to travel over there....on a boat or otherwise."

Apart from the scenery,the sun,the beaches,the boating,the food,the wine and a few other minor considerations,what indeed ?

RobHom

Visit site
"Leaves blessed little incentive to travel over there....on a boat or otherwise."

Apart from the scenery,the sun,the beaches,the boating,the food,the wine and a few other minor considerations,what indeed ?

Please don't misunderstand me.... I have traveled extensively in Europe, and lived in Germany for 7 years....and I love it over there... It just seems that since the EU was formed...all you hear about is higher and higher taxes.... Or am I misreading something?

Where I used to live in FL...the majority of the homes were being sold to people from the UK and Germany.... and many of them were retiring to the states as long as they could get the visas.... Lower taxes all the way around.

Living in Florida...we have all the goodies you mentioned, and the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean is not much farther away...but beyond the Bahama's entry fee (dependent on boat length) there is precious little to worry about fees or tax wise.... And if you fly a "Q" flag you can pass through the Bahamas without paying the fees...even anchoring out.. as long as you don't touch dry ground... I guess I'm just amazed at what I hear tax and fees wise.... Our "sales tax" here in Florida is 6% and that is on the finished goods...we have no "VAT"....

I can tell you this though...I've always wanted to cruise over there, especially in the Greek Islands and I think Spain would be great as well....:)

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Noooo - this is 8% extra on top of the normal rate of VAT charged while on the boat.
I did not know that the cruise company charge you UK VAT whilst in Spain - a rip off indeed. Do they charge UK alcohol duty as well? They obviously see their customers as captive mugs.

The 8% VAT rate is the normal Spanish VAT rate on restaurant food etc, so perhaps the cruise ship passengers would be better off walking into Malaga town centre and sampling from the hundreds of tapas bars and restaurants that they have, and not pay a single penny to HMCE?

maybh1

Visit site
I did not know that the cruise company charge you UK VAT whilst in Spain - a rip off indeed. Do they charge UK alcohol duty as well? They obviously see their customers as captive mugs.

The 8% VAT rate is the normal Spanish VAT rate on restaurant food etc, so perhaps the cruise ship passengers would be better off walking into Malaga town centre and sampling from the hundreds of tapas bars and restaurants that they have, and not pay a single penny to HMCE?

No they don't charge UK VAT whilst aboard ship.

It is the Spanish authorities that make the cruise lines charge the extra 8% whilst they are berthed in Spain to passengers that chose not to go ashore and who make any purchases on board ship (coffees, drinks, salon treatments etc) - they then have to pay this 8% over to the Spanish authorities

In all the places I have cruised to this is the first time that this has happened and does sort of smack of desperation by the Spanish. I think it is their Government that see us as mugs and easy marks not the Cruise companies

I would think that the cost of the administration caused by this tax far outweighs any profit gained

May
xx

Last edited:

nonitoo

Visit site
I am baffled as to how the Spanish Authorities can make such a charge work, after all the ship is only in for the day !

Inventory on arrival and on departure - hardly practicable.

I suspect it is the ship going through the motions in case a Spanish official is wandering about.

Tom

RobHom

Visit site
I am baffled as to how the Spanish Authorities can make such a charge work, after all the ship is only in for the day !

Inventory on arrival and on departure - hardly practicable.

I suspect it is the ship going through the motions in case a Spanish official is wandering about.

Tom

Smacks of someone trying to justify another bureaucrats job....pushing papers about while never having bothered to figure the cost vs benefits of the action.:D

GrahamHR

Visit site
Not really surprising or unfair; Duty free within the EU is long gone. I expect UK ferries from Britain to Ireland charge UK VAT (+ UK duty on alcohol etc). Likewise, Irish ferries charge Irish VAT and Irish duty on Alcohol etc. So why shouldn't Spain charge VAT/ duties on goods sold in their territory?

Graham

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Do you know if they are applying this levy to the Canaries?

Although we cruise on a very regular basis this is the first time we have come across this.

May
xx

There is no VAT in the Canaries as they are not part of the EU. Canarian hotels charge 5% IGIC whereas mainland hotels charge 8% VAT. Both of which seem like a bargain compared with the VAT rate in other countries.

But I would say that, wouldn't I? :)
www.littlehotelsofspain.co.uk
www.littlehotels-canaries.co.uk

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Given that the tills on the cruise ships are no doubt computerised, it can't be that hard to write down the balance as the ship docks and then write it down again at the end of the day and write a cheque for 8% to the tax man.

If the local businesses have to pay 8% tax, why shouldn't the big floating business pay it as well?