Yanmar 2GM20 Seawater pump (pre 1998 design required / angled spigots)

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
my original pump isnt priming and gets airlocks easily. It can only be primed by pouring water manually into the hose to start it off, certainly not enough suction to pull water into an inline strainer then into itself which i have ready to install. Tried cleaning cover and enclosure with emery paper. Tried new universal impeller then original yanmar impeller and gasket yesterday on sunday. So pretty sure need a new pump and other member at the sailing club agree. I see online there are two versions for the raw water 2GM20, one for the pre 1998 models with angled spigots and after 1998 with straight spigots, theres a significant cost difference between the both.

The price is too steep for me to afford.

I tried Watermota website and they cannot help.

Bottomline marine have them but yeah not cheap, same price at FrenchMarine.

one for 1998 engines and onwards not earlier ones

http://www.frenchmarine.com/product/Yanmar-128377-42500-Water-Pump-Assy-1265-32

mine is like this (earlier model)

http://www.frenchmarine.com/product/Yanmar-728270-42002-Sea-Water-Pump-Complete-842-155

Pye_End

Visit site
Presumably if it was leaking out the back then it would be evident from the tell tails?

Some say swap the face plate over to present a fresh, unworn surface.

fisherman

Visit site
Presumably if it was leaking out the back then it would be evident from the tell tails?

Some say swap the face plate over to present a fresh, unworn surface.

Saw no leaks from the back of mine, just the plate was well worn and didn't seal to the impeller, same as a worn cover doesn't. Yes, turning the cover works. Mine only kept working because it was below the W/L, but it was about 25% of normal.

Hornet_UK

Visit site
A couple of years ago the water pump on my 2GM20 started leaking badly, looks like the same pump type. I ended up speaking to Marine Power in Bursledon and they replaced the cam, bearing and put on a new face plate. They are very helpful and it would be well worth a phone call.
PS. No links etc to Marine Power just a satisfied customer.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
no, had no leaks from the pump itself. and we tried cleaning the pump. i saw that self service article on pbo before but dont want to attempt that. I think yanmar use johnson pumps but not 100% sure. the pump i need is one with angled spigots not straight.

my post was asking mainly for sources for a cheaper supplier or an alternative make to yanmar branded pumps. as mentioned i have looked already on french marine website. thanks

edit: thanks Hornet but Marine Power just list the spares for the 1GM not 2GM and a new 2GM pre 1998 pump is the same price as at frenchmarine/bottomlinemarine

totally regret getting my boat a year ago. constantly hard to find spares for it and the engine and if available they are daylight robbery

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
no, had no leaks from the pump itself. and we tried cleaning the pump. i saw that self service article on pbo before but dont want to attempt that. I think yanmar use johnson pumps but not 100% sure. the pump i need is one with angled spigots not straight.

my post was asking mainly for sources for a cheaper supplier or an alternative make to yanmar branded pumps. as mentioned i have looked already on french marine website. thanks

edit: thanks Hornet but Marine Power just list the spares for the 1GM not 2GM and a new 2GM pre 1998 pump is the same price as at frenchmarine/bottomlinemarine

totally regret getting my boat a year ago. constantly hard to find spares for it and the engine and if available they are daylight robbery
Boating comes at a cost, any sport with complex equipment comes at a cost.

The biggest cost is labour, parts are the small amounts, DIY is an essential part of low budget boating but when the poo hits the fan, you have to bite the bullet or get a smaller boat or take up a cheaper sport.

on my first boat I had a 2GM which I had no option but to replace the starter motor... OUCH! All part of the fun.

As to the pump, I replaced with a new one last year despite extensive research on here and some very helpful replies if you search. I have the old one which I’ll repair as a spare once I replace the £20 bearings. No cheaper Johnson pumps available here unfortunately, although if you find a supply, you’ll make a lot of friends on here. Good luck.

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
It would not cost that much to get a new cover made if it’s worn too much, it’s only a simple pump and to be not priming / pumping the impeller cannot be water tight fit internally. Either front or back face badly scored or pump bore. Either way easy to overhaul

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Many people get a replacement pump, fit it to solve the immediate problem, then recondition the old one at their leisure so that they have a useable spare that they can drop in quickly if they have further problems. It's not difficult to refurbish one of these - the bearings and seals are cheap from bearings direct or somesuch although the impellers and other bits are pricey whether from Johnson or Yanmar. The cover is just a piece of brass plate with holes in it, I got my friend to machine one with his lathe and pillar drill.

Spyro

Visit site
Boating comes at a cost, any sport with complex equipment comes at a cost.

The biggest cost is labour, parts are the small amounts, DIY is an essential part of low budget boating but when the poo hits the fan, you have to bite the bullet or get a smaller boat or take up a cheaper sport.

on my first boat I had a 2GM which I had no option but to replace the starter motor... OUCH! All part of the fun.

As to the pump, I replaced with a new one last year despite extensive research on here and some very helpful replies if you search. I have the old one which I’ll repair as a spare once I replace the £20 bearings. No cheaper Johnson pumps available here unfortunately, although if you find a supply, you’ll make a lot of friends on here. Good luck.
Starter motors, alternators and many more bits and pieces are all very expensive if you by Yanmar Branded parts but there are plenty other makes available. I saw UK-Woozy had just replaced 4 engine mounts at £600. those were a bit cheaper than Yanmar but still very expensive. If that didn't include fitting and he paid for labour too I can see why he is a bit fed up. If I had to pay labour costs for all the work on my boat I probably couldn't justify having it.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
passed the boat after work to get pics of the pump and video of the pump in action. tonight i found that with the inlet hose in the bucket, placing my thumb/finger over the end id feel suction then it would start sucking the water as soon as i released my finger from the end. before i primed it by pouring water down the hose first.

thank you

gNWdms9.jpg

LuvTyUT.jpg

WBw0cBL.jpg

H7XervG.jpg

JoQrrIA.jpg

qVlz92C.jpg

VwcMkQe.jpg

O0zYzsJ.jpg

Edit: yes i know the alternator belt needs tensioning still ;) / the mounts still need adjusting too

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
Is that the hose from your seacock to the pump inlet? It looks way too high and long, you are trying to lift a lot of water if there isn't any in the hose. That may cause your prime problem. It doesn't look like a lot of water but that will increase with engine speed.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site

Dude, I love my 2GM20 with a rare passion. Its simple, agricultural, easy to maintain and hardy (even if some of the fastenings are made of cheese...). Modern diesels have tiny tolerances, high pressure common rails that have to fit in with modern emissions regs making them imperfect for use in our environments. Look after the 2GM20, understand it, and it will see you through just about anything even when the going gets tough and the fuel gets a bit gummy. Embrace your 2GM my friend. There is a wealth of experience out there on place like here, and at places like French Marine.

My service run through is here of mine: http://www.albinballad.co.uk/how-tos/yanmar-2gm20-engine-winterising-and-service/

fisherman

Visit site
its going into the bucket for the demo as the boats on the hard, otherwise yeah it normally is attached to the seacock behind the engine. bottomlinemarine said the housing looks badly worn and theres a groove in the wedge

I've never seen a housing worn enough to cause trouble, but the cam (wedge?), cover plate and backplate are critical. Beware running from a bucket, it may be high enough to encourage a faulty pump, which then declines service via the seacock

Red Panda

Visit site
To share the pain...I tried to remove the impeller from the water pump on my 2GM20, it was jammed in place and needed cutting out - to reveal a bent shaft, the pulley rounded off, and the rest of the pump looking decidedly ropey. I'm now looking at a complete rebuild :-(
AND it's perfect sailing weather!

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had a water pump problem on my Yanmar 2GM20F, not wanting to miss good weather I took to sailing without engine. It was great and improved my seamanship no end. I learned to sail onto and off my fore and aft mooring competently. No noisy engine and confidence greatly improved. Can't really do it in a marina though.
To share the pain...I tried to remove the impeller from the water pump on my 2GM20, it was jammed in place and needed cutting out - to reveal a bent shaft, the pulley rounded off, and the rest of the pump looking decidedly ropey. I'm now looking at a complete rebuild :-(
AND it's perfect sailing weather!

Red Panda

Visit site
I'm in a marina, 4 miles upriver from open sea.
I'd be perfectly happy to sail on/off a swinging mooring, but not from where the boat lives now!