Yachtsmen Carrying Knives (UK)

Slowtack

Visit site
I don't carry a knife ashore. However I once bought a nice Buck penknife in the US... The shop assistant approved my choice as being a "good Christian knife"...I had to ask why so... and was told that apparently the Buck company contribute to their chosen church organisation.... I couldn't but admire their keen business edge...

capnsensible

Visit site
Well that is not sensible at all. If you had an accident now one would know who to contact or the basics for accessing your medical record. And if you dropped down dead how would they put out a notice for relatives

Me, I have never left house without purse or wallet as who knows what cake fruit or item I might see that takes my fancy. Maybe all your walks are in treat free environments
I like to live on the edge.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Funnily enough I have camped. But I don’t tend to walk around on a daily basis with a stove, pans, plate etc. Or indeed a tent in my coat pocket. So I would pack what I need for camping - though also if taking tins probably choose ring pull ones for the purpose.
Don’t need to carry stuff everyday for things that are exceptions, otherwise would need a backpack every time I went out.
I learnt early on not to trust ring pull cans anywhere but the kitchen cupboard - advice from a very salty old sailor. A tin of tuna proved him right. The minor issue is the odd occasion where the ring pull comes off before the tin is open.

doug748

Visit site
POINT OF INFORMATION, here:

I recently travelled cross channel by ferry and the port was on a high state of alert. I was asked if I was carrying any form of knife including multi tools or indeed "any sharp object". I was then asked to get out of the car and body searched, as far as I could see so was everyone else on that crossing.

KevinV

Visit site
POINT OF INFORMATION, here:

I recently travelled cross channel by ferry and the port was on a high state of alert. I was asked if I was carrying any form of knife including multi tools or indeed "any sharp object". I was then asked to get out of the car and body searched, as far as I could see so was everyone else on that crossing.

I had that once when I had a van full of tools up to and including chainsaws.
"Anything sharp with you?"
"Yes, lots!"
"Ah, I see. Just leave it all in the van will you? Carry on"