Yachtmaster with rusailing.com - Fabulous...

Richard10002

Visit site
and I passed on Friday!!!

Thought I should post to let people know how impressed I have been with the incredible/fabulous etc. level of service/instruction/fun etc. that is provided by Rob and Jules of

http://www.rusailing.com/

in Lagos, Portugal.

5 days of Yachtmaster prep. on Rogue the week before last, one day last week, plus the exam on Friday.... probably the most intense thing I have ever done, and possibly the most fun I've had for a long time.

They also organised 2 Day Skipper trainees to crew for me on exam day - Many Thanks to Sharon & Steve.

I've not experienced any other RYA sailing courses, so do not have anything to compare with..... but you would be hard pressed to find anyone with the enthusiasm, desire, and ability to impart knowledge and skills, the willingness to go the extra mile, put in extra time, and so on and so on.

And on top of that, they are really nice people, and I hope we have made 2 new friends.

If anyone wants to do a tidal course in sunny climes, I cant recommend them highly enough.

What more can I say!!!

Cheers

Richard

Sailfree

Visit site
Without wishing to detract from the calibre of your instructors my understanding is that the failure rate for the RYA instructors certificate is quite high and most of the failures are due to personality and inability to impart knowledge.

Its one thing the RYA gets right I have heard very little criticism of RYA instructors but much praise yet human nature indicates the reverse that people are normally quicker to complain than praise.

Well done though and your good referrence will hopefully encourage others - especially the helm of a Beneteau First that nearly T boned me at the fuel berth on the Hamble last Sunday when he lost the race for the empty space behind me. I was paying at the time so didn't see it all but felt grateful enough to thank the crew member on the Beneteau that jumped over the bow to fend off with his leg!

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Without wishing to detract from the calibre of your instructors my understanding is that the failure rate for the RYA instructors certificate is quite high and most of the failures are due to personality and inability to impart knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I have no other experience of RYA training, so take your point without reservation.

The main reason for my post was that, in Lagos, the biggest marketing machine is South West Charters, and it is likely that most people would gravitate towards them .... perhaps not being aware that there are a few small sailing schools in the town where the people you pay are the people who train you.

My own experience of South West during the enquiry part of the process was less than impressive, but their Bar isnt bad /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
[ QUOTE ]
. . . so didn't see it all but felt grateful enough to thank the crew member on the Beneteau that jumped over the bow to fend off with his leg!]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm appalled! Anyone fending off with a leg or an arm is risking serious injury, unless we're talking about a very light boat indeed. I've seen enough mashed feet and ankles to pursude me that fending with a body part is a NO NO. Damage to boats can be fixed cheaply and easily. Bodies? That's another matter.

Use fenders instead, or allow damage to occur if a fender isn't immediately available.

Sorry about that rant.

Back to the OP's subject. Well done for yachtmaster, but may I sound a word of warning? Lagos tides are trivial compared to the Channel, so I do query the validity of tests (and training) conducted in S Portugal. Though I'm sure you (yourself) have experienced Channel tides, many haven't.

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Back to the OP's subject. Well done for yachtmaster, but may I sound a word of warning? Lagos tides are trivial compared to the Channel, so I do query the validity of tests (and training) conducted in S Portugal. Though I'm sure you (yourself) have experienced Channel tides, many haven't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I was fairly comfortable with tides and navigation, having done the Irish Sea and NW for many years, and was more concerned about boat handling.

Fairly strong tide in Alvor and Portimao entrances for entering and leaving, and anchoring and picking up bouys under sail... but not much effect on passage making.

Also agree that it would be more of a test in most of the UK.

Having said that, whilst I have rarely put pen to paper with news of good service, I really felt it was due here.

Cheers

Richard

Sailfree

Visit site
Picking up on a couple of points
1. I agree about using a fender and stress never use feet or arms and stress that in my safety briefing but as the young lad did sucessfully push the Beneteau off my boat using his feet and did not hurt himself it would have been churlish of me not to say thanks.
2. We did our day skipper in Gibraltar which count as tidal but soon found the need to do an evenings berthing tuition/practice on the Hamble to cope with the various tidal situations

Other threads that may be of interest