Yachtmaster coastal sea time evidence

seanfoster

Visit site
Hi All,

Quite a while since I posted on here, I'm looking to do my Yachtmaster coastal practical in the next year or two, the pre-requisites (taken from the RYA website are:

• 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours. If you hold the Coastal Skipper practical course completion certificate this is reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours.
  • Half the qualifying sea time must be conducted in tidal waters.
  • All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.

I have around 300 miles logged from short hops between Poole - Cowes/ Poole - Weymouth, these were on my own yacht and all trips were entered into the log.

I also have another 400 miles under my belt on my friends yacht including a night passage from Ipswich to Ijmuiden and a round trip from Exeter to Fowey and back, obviously I wasn't a skipper on these trips.

I'm going to take a weeks mile building trip later in the year (with an RYA recognised company), I'm just wondering what evidence is required to prove the above experience?

As I said, I have logged the trips on my yacht, how do I log the rest and how is it authenticated?
Been looking everywhere and can't find the answer!

Any help would be appreciated!

lw395

Visit site
When I did mine, no evidence was needed, beyond my own log book.
The examiner will ask questions which establish whether you've really got the claimed experience.
If you get the chance, collect signatures when you sail on other people's boats.

alant

Visit site
Hi All,

Quite a while since I posted on here, I'm looking to do my Yachtmaster coastal practical in the next year or two, the pre-requisites (taken from the RYA website are:

• 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours. If you hold the Coastal Skipper practical course completion certificate this is reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours.

I have around 300 miles logged from short hops between Poole - Cowes/ Poole - Weymouth, these were on my own yacht and all trips were entered into the log.

I also have another 400 miles under my belt on my friends yacht including a night passage from Ipswich to Ijmuiden and a round trip from Exeter to Fowey and back, obviously I wasn't a skipper on these trips.

I'm going to take a weeks mile building trip later in the year (with an RYA recognised company), I'm just wondering what evidence is required to prove the above experience?

As I said, I have logged the trips on my yacht, how do I log the rest and how is it authenticated?
Been looking everywhere and can't find the answer!

Any help would be appreciated!

Many examiners claim to be able to spot a dud, even if there is adequate paperwork.
If you think your experience is sufficient, don't worry.

Jungle Jim

Visit site
I did mine last year and have nothing written to show the miles I have covered or where I have been. The examiner asked a few probing questions based on where I said I'd been (where is the visitors pontoon in Cherbourg for example) to find out if I was genuine. He must have been happy with the answers as he passed me :encouragement:

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi All,

!

If you have all that why do you need a certificate?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If you have all that why do you need a certificate?

Sorry about the fumble fingered previous quote.

It's a good question as to why you "need" the actual piece of paper. Here are my thoughts. Of course, each to their own

1. Where a certificate is required for work, charter, crewing etc.
2. As evidence of a particular standard for crewing etc - puts you "top of the pile"
3. To direct study to cover all areas of the syllabus, not just those you like or do regularly. To study/experience things you may not get in your home waters.
4. To get feedback from trainers / examiners.
5. To check that you have actually reached that level.
6. Because you enjoy it.

Cheers

Bristol (about to take Coastal Skipper)

GHA

Visit site
3. To direct study to cover all areas of the syllabus, not just those you like or do regularly. To study/experience things you may not get in your home waters.
6. Because you enjoy it.

Cheers

:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Sorry about the fumble fingered previous quote.

It's a good question as to why you "need" the actual piece of paper. Here are my thoughts. Of course, each to their own

1. Where a certificate is required for work, charter, crewing etc.
2. As evidence of a particular standard for crewing etc - puts you "top of the pile"
6. Because you enjoy it.

Cheers

Well said that man.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
I would not worry about evidence.
If you turn up with nothing they will deduce your experience just by observing your actions; from how you prepare the boat for slipping to how to talk to the crew etc.

Are you just taking the practical exam (i.e. one day with an examiner) or are you doing a 5 day and night course with a school and doing the 'practical' but just receiving a certificate of completion of the course?

Most people only take the exam for commercial endorsement (e.g. they need it to take sea-scouts out or paying customers for coastal sailing).

Fewer people take the coastal exam than take the yachtmaster exam (or what is now called? "offshore yachtmaster"? as opposed to "coastal yachtmaster" (that used to be simply called "coastal") because the offshore ticket gives one greater range.

Turn up and do your thing with what you already have. All will be good. Best of luck.

My examiner said (at de-brief) that he had me sussed within 10 minutes because of the way I left the dock and talked to the crew. (But I was on a decent charted boat and not my tub with only an outboard engine). I did make some mistakes once out at sea however, but he considered the whole day's actions.hh

seanfoster

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone,
I did think that any decent examiner or instructor would be able to weigh up your ability without too much trouble, but was trying to find out peoples experiences,, so thanks for that!

TLouth7

Visit site
While the consensus seems to be that evidence is not required for the Yachtmaster exam, if ever you do want some then presumably your name was entered as crew in the log on others' boats. If you are still in touch with the skippers then you could ask them to send you a photo of the relevant pages.

capnsensible

Visit site
4. Qualifying seatime
It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that the necessary qualifying seatime is logged (see below). Do not send your logbook with the application form, but it must
be shown to the Examiner at the time of the examination. Please note that no more than 50% of the total qualifying seatime may be acquired in non-tidal seas such as the
Baltic or Mediterranean.
Seatime:
Advanced Powerboat
Two years relevant experience including night pilotage. (As a guide 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours)*
*If you hold an RYA Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate the seatime is reduced to: 20 Days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, and 12 night hours.
Yachtmaster Coastal
30 days seatime, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours*
*If you hold a Coastal Skipper Practical Course Completion Certificate the seatime requirement is reduced to 20 days (2 days as skipper), 400 miles and 12 night hours.
Yachtmaster Offshore
50 days seatime, 5 days as skipper, 2500 miles, 5 passages over 60 miles including 2 overnight and 2 as skipper.

Just to clear it up Ive copied from the link to the application form that Must be completed prior to the exam......

CondorAA5A

Visit site
As others have said it's normally not that strict, other than for your own peace of mind to have your log book available showing the needed miles etc.

You can record the miles on other peoples yachts as well, even if it's not signed off as such. Typically, from what I remember the instructor just asks you about your experience, and as you'll appreciate, can very quickly gauge experience levels. Which are even more quickly confirmed once you've taken charge for the first time...

Having your own yacht is always a big bonus as ownership teaches you (usually the hard way) all the other stuff you really need to know and that you don't really pick up from courses and being on other peoples' yachts. My only recommendation would be to do some more night sailing on your yacht before you do the exam, as he/she will assume you can sail OK in daylight/good weather but will want to test you out for more challenging stuff.

weustace

Visit site
Agree with the above; I think they do scrutinise your log somewhat, but on the other hand, I had signed off a few trips myself (genuine trips, though), having forgotten the logbook—I wasn't grilled about any of that, but perhaps might have been had the examiner been dubious about my ability generally. Would also say that I think [as a recently qualified Coastal] that the step between that and Offshore is quite significant—one gets that bit more slack for accuracy of manoeuvres etc. Best of luck! P.S. assuming you are doing the exam on your own boat rather than a school boat with a prep course, I'd try and have at least a few days with your exam crew practising manoeuvres first—it makes a big difference!

Uricanejack

Visit site
Gosh, been into Cherbourg half a dozen times but couldn't answer that one. Always been ushered to a finger berth by a rib.

I think we came in through the breakwater turned right and tied up stern to with the bow tied to a buoy. Was a lot of years ago. The examiner might just suspect it was over 10 years ago and not count it.:)