Yacht insurance

Squeaky

Visit site
Good afternoon:

I have been insured by Pantaenis (sp) for 15 plus years but have now received notice that they are not prepared to re-new my policy because my yacht is moored in Turkey and I live aboard or at least because my address is in Turkey.

I have called a number of insurance companies today and discovered that most of them will not provide a quotation for a yacht moored in Turkey.

Can anyone suggest a company that might be willing to offer insurance for a yacht moored in Turkey i.e. Netsel Marina, Marmaris.

Cheers

Squeaky

Sandyman

Visit site
Suspect this is because of the changeing political situation. Is your policy fully comp or 3rd party ?

ashtead

Visit site
"Pantaenis" is I believe a broker not an insurer so either the scope of the delegated authority granted to them by the insurer as an MGA has been reduced or the insurer underwriting the risk has decided that the risks of presented by the political situation are unattractive . There must be local brokers who insure all those US flagged yachts though ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know when we wanted to do the Red Sea rally the other year , they wouldn't insure us while we was there but said their sister company would ( can't remember the name ) maybe it's worth find out who their are and trying them .
We ended up not going .
I wounder what the policy is if you only was to cruise Turkey so the summer months .

truscott

Visit site
We have used;

Sentop Sigorta Göcek
Göcek Şubesi
Tel/Fax : +90 252 6451774
GSM : +90 532 5759406

for a number of years now (starting when we had the vessel in charter from Netsel). The vessel must be Turkey based, ie Marina Contract required, but not necessarily Turkish Registered (we are NZ Flagged). Coverage is for whole of Med and the premium for us at 12 Meters is very attractive. We have never had a claim and I would suggest it is only when you do claim that you will truly know if they are a good deal or not.

Cheers, PT

GrahamM376

Visit site
My policy was fully comprehensive although I don't see what that has to do with their refusal to offer a renewal. I have never had a claim.

Which country did you insure in? Evidently Pants have different policies in different countries. If you declare you're living aboard there 365 then you are no longer a UK resident in their eyes. A few years ago our UK car insurers refused to renew after they found we were out of the UK for more than 6 months.

lindsay

Visit site
Try Traffords, Bedford way. I am in the Med since 1997. I found them very flexible when I switched five years ago, although dont know specifically about Turkey.

sailorman

Visit site
Good afternoon:

I have been insured by Pantaenis (sp) for 15 plus years but have now received notice that they are not prepared to re-new my policy because my yacht is moored in Turkey and I live aboard or at least because my address is in Turkey.

I have called a number of insurance companies today and discovered that most of them will not provide a quotation for a yacht moored in Turkey.

Can anyone suggest a company that might be willing to offer insurance for a yacht moored in Turkey i.e. Netsel Marina, Marmaris.

Cheers

Squeaky

MNebe you need an English address

Squeaky

Visit site
We have used;

Sentop Sigorta Göcek
Göcek Şubesi
Tel/Fax : +90 252 6451774
GSM : +90 532 5759406
Cheers, PT
Good morning:

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to call this agency but could not get through - the phone rang only once before disconnecting.

However this suggestion led me to doing a search and locating an office of Sentop Sigorta in Marmaris. I contacted them by phone and discovered that they will be able to offer me a policy at what appears to be a very attractive cost. I will visit their office on Monday to discuss and hopefully arrange a policy for 3rd party insurance.

Having had insurance without a claim for over 34 years I am not too concerned about the coverage and am more interested in the cost and simply getting a policy to meet the marina requirement to have an insurance policy.

The notification from Yachting24 stated: YACHTING24 Insurance pools are no longer able to cover policyholders with a permanent residential address in Turkey,

It went on to ask me to confirm my address and I got the impression that it might be suggesting I forward an address from another country such as the UK but have decided not to go down that route.

I have been informed that Turkish insurance companies will not offer insurance coverage for a yacht built more than 25 years ago - they will offer renewal policies provided the initial policy is arranged prior to this cut off time. I am not sure how Sentop will get around this limitation which I mentioned and was told that it could be sorted.

I think I can now join those claiming discrimination on the grounds that I am being discriminated against simply for living in Turkey and being honest enough to admit it. Wonder how one goes about organizing a "Protest march".

Cheers

Squeaky

OldBawley

Visit site
I know of a French sailor ( pretty sure you know the guy ) who after 35 years Turkey without an insurance was forced to obtain a policy.

He went for a Turkish based insurance, the same most of the small fisherman use.

The cost was so low that to my opinion it was just a firm providing a paper. The French sailor confirmed this, but that was all he wanted.

We ware hit twice by Turkish fishing boats during the night. The fisherman don't expect yachts during winter, ware fiddling their nets while steaming home. Dark hull, anchor light, cabin lights on and still they hit us. Both times they fled in the dark, both times I found the damaged boats nearby.
Both times I did not even bother to confront them, seen the condition of their boats.
Much of these fisherman work from boats they borrow. The rent is a fish. Poorest Turks I know.
I repaired our damage myself knowing that their “Insurance” is worthless.

Now that yachting is totally in with Turkish new rich, some more reliable insurance companies must offer policies.

Other threads that may be of interest