Yacht Diesel by Pump, north of Mallaig

dje67

Visit site
Currently north of Mallaig and cruising inside of Skye. Nae wind and am looking for a place to visit that I can fill with 100 litres of diesel, as I’m having to motor around way more than expected! Ideally, I’d want to avoid using Jerry cans (don’t have one onboard and 5 journeys to a petrol station is unappealing). Any Harbours/pontoons that have fuel pump availability inside (east) of Skye that I can visit for fuel?

dunedin

Visit site
Have you looked in either Clyde Cruising Club directions and/or Welcome Anchorages as they are your best guide.
Last time I was in Lochinver they had diesel on the pier, though I chose to fill cans. Ullapool a few years back they had big cans you could borrow.
Gairloch probably worth a try also.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
According to the list in the Clyde Cruising Club Pilot book Ardnamurchan to Cape Wrath 2nd Edition you can get fuel alongside at:

Mallaig;
Doune Bay;
Armadale (hose from a boat - Call Caley Marine 01463 236539);
Kyle of Lochalsh;
Poll Creadha;
Ullapool;
Loch Inver; and
Kinlochbervie.

Or flag down a motorist. I could get my pal Donald to pop over if we knew where you are - I expect he'd like several good bottles of whisky in payment for his time.

Minchsailor

Visit site
East of Skye -

All (?) of the pumps are operated by Highland Council and intended mainly for the fishing fleet. They are self service if you have an account and a key fob, otherwise working hours M-F when staffed generally.

I don't think there are any pumps with pontoon access.

Kyle of Lochalsh - Southern side of the railway pier, 2nd (northern) pump has a smaller nozzle

Portree - on the fishing pier. There is a short stay pontoon, but the hose does not reach, and the last time I was there (couple of years ago) transferring fuel by cans was frowned upon (spillage/pollution). Pier closed often when a large cruise ship is in.

Gareloch/Charlestown - Pump on the pier. OK to tie up along side a fishing boat. HM helpful (when on duty). I find this is probably the best bet in the area (NB - don't relay on a pontoon berth as shown in the CCC pilot, but visitor moorings in Loch Sheildaig are not far; nice spot but no 'facilities')

Lochinver - pump on the end of the first fishing boat pier, but this in intended for commercial vessels and has a VERY high flowrate - I have seen a previous delivery of 25,000 litres. Very difficult to control. Need help from HM, usually given willingly. I dislike using this one.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Currently north of Mallaig and cruising inside of Skye. Nae wind and am looking for a place to visit that I can fill with 100 litres of diesel, as I’m having to motor around way more than expected! Ideally, I’d want to avoid using Jerry cans (don’t have one onboard and 5 journeys to a petrol station is unappealing). Any Harbours/pontoons that have fuel pump availability inside (east) of Skye that I can visit for fuel?
Is the fuel station at Mallaig still dysfunctional? It was u/s when we were there three weeks ago.

Aja

Visit site
Flowerdale, Loch Gair?

dje67

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. After numerous phone calls to various places mentioned in the replies above, it was Portree that turned up trumps. Mallaig was Jerry can only. Kyle didnt want to transfer fuel to small boats via their large industrial-sized hoses. Couldn’t get in touch with Armadale, but the poor guy who’s phone number is in Welcome Anchorages (out of date number!) advised that no fuel is available there. I was heading north towards Gareloch and reckon I’d have been ok there, but managed to speak to a very-helpful mooring guy and harbour master at Portree who were both great. Picked-up 100l of diesel there by long hose from the main fishing pier. A bit stressful tying-up along side the traditional piled pier with 15kn of wind blowing on! Managed not to break the boat or wife in the process…. Anyway, Portree was great. harbour master was very friendly and helpful, got filled up with both diesel and water and am now enjoying a fab sunset at Rona, fully stocked with fuel and water (and only enough malt for the crew onboard, Sandy..!)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for the responses. After numerous phone calls to various places mentioned in the replies above, it was Portree that turned up trumps. Mallaig was Jerry can only. Kyle didnt want to transfer fuel to small boats via their large industrial-sized hoses. Couldn’t get in touch with Armadale, but the poor guy who’s phone number is in Welcome Anchorages (out of date number!) advised that no fuel is available there. I was heading north towards Gareloch and reckon I’d have been ok there, but managed to speak to a very-helpful mooring guy and harbour master at Portree who were both great. Picked-up 100l of diesel there by long hose from the main fishing pier. A bit stressful tying-up along side the traditional piled pier with 15kn of wind blowing on! Managed not to break the boat or wife in the process…. Anyway, Portree was great. harbour master was very friendly and helpful, got filled up with both diesel and water and am now enjoying a fab sunset at Rona, fully stocked with fuel and water (and only enough malt for the crew onboard, Sandy..!)
My late mother is from Largs, don't you know....

Minchsailor

Visit site
Useful to know. Armadale used to do fuel from a tender for their charter boats. I've refuelled there a couple of times over the years, but as that operation closed down a couple of years ago the tender has gone.

Not surprised by Lochinver as I have never managed to get their pumps working at a low enough flow rate to prevent spillage.

Kelpie

Visit site
Lochinver - pump on the end of the first fishing boat pier, but this in intended for commercial vessels and has a VERY high flowrate - I have seen a previous delivery of 25,000 litres. Very difficult to control. Need help from HM, usually given willingly. I dislike using this one.

Good summary.

In Lochinver we've taken jerry cans to to the top of the pontoon ramp, and harbour staff come along and take them away to fill, then drop them off again in the same spot. You still have to carry them the last wee bit but at least it's downhill.