Yacht Advise

Pasarell

Visit site
Hurley 24

You asked what to look out for on your original suggestions so here are a few thoughts for the Hurley 24.
I sold mine after 4 good years of ownership earlier this year. They fit your requirements of double berth and separate toilet compartment. Also good standing headroom below.
Biggest problem is mast compression. Mine was OK but a previous owner had fitted a ply reinforcement to the forward bulkhead which seemed a good solution. Others have big problems including cracked decks. Easy to see and, usually, easy to repair.
Pretty much all original (petrol) engines have been replaced with diesel but some of those are getting old now.
Wiring. Unless replaced will be very old and inadequate
Rubbing Strake. The teak strake is fixed with self tappers straight through the topsides. Prone to leak expecially in forward cabin. Easy to remove, seal and refix with bolts.
Gas locker doesn't drain. I put a drain about 2 inches above the locker base to get it above the waterline with a seacock attached to close when sailing. Otherwise the locker fills with water. Not ideal but a good compromise.
Osmosis in the skeg. They're old boats and this is only a cosmetic problem really.
Overall I think they're great little boats. Easily handled by 1 person and pretty comfortable for 2. Have a look at the owners website www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk
Good luck with your search.

cdhsoftware

www.koikeeperunleashed.com
Submariner??? :D

No LOL, ex gunner.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I am doing a lot of looking and will have a shortlist of what to look round for pretty soon after all your suggestions.

I am stuck out of the country at the moment trying to sell my house over here, but hope to be back in the UK in the spring. We are looking to move to the highlands and this yacht will get a lot of use :)

Regards

cdhsoftware

There's a Colvic Sailer 26 for sale with Boatshed West Scotland here.

I like the look of her, she looks like she is used regularly :)

If you are in the area (ish) come down to Troon & have a look at Gina… “warts & all”... as at the moment I am completing a few repairs with the intention of getting out there for some winter sailing.
She’s not for sale… but it would give you an idea of what they are all about & maybe go for a quick sail. :eek: :D

You bring the biscuits & I’ll provide the Tea... or Rusty-Nails if you have a chauffer. :D:D

Definately mate, I would love to. Just got to get back to the UK first LOL

Kelpie

Visit site
No LOL, ex gunner.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I am doing a lot of looking and will have a shortlist of what to look round for pretty soon after all your suggestions.

I am stuck out of the country at the moment trying to sell my house over here, but hope to be back in the UK in the spring. We are looking to move to the highlands and this yacht will get a lot of use :)

Regards

Whereabouts in the Highlands are you heading?

As a self confessed member of the 'Vega Brigade' I'll resist telling you to buy the same boat as I have!
I bought the boat at the start of this year, and like you I initially concentrated on specific makes and models, like you would when buying a car. After a time I started to be more realistic are admitted to myself that I was not going to buy a boat in the South of England and either pay thousands for road transport (crazy on a sub £10k boat, you won't get that money back) or even crazier try to deliver her by sea given the lack of experience I had at the time, and the possible teething problems I might inherit with a strange boat.
When I narrowed my search down to just Scotland the choice dried up a lot. Take out the projects boats with suspect engines and knackered interiors, and there were even less to choose from. Make a few phone calls to see who is willing to move on price. Contemplate hundreds of pounds lost in travel and surveys for the top two or three boats.
In the end, a local guy offered me his boat, which wasn't even on the open market. Job done. No travel and transport costs, and I knew I had a boat eminently suitable for the area I now cruise in.

If you're wanting to look up boats in Scotland, try Bosuns Locker, Caley Marina, Dunstaffnage, and Western Horizon.

cdhsoftware

Hi,

We are looking at the Ullapool area, Loch Broom.

We love walking and I also want to get back into sailing.

We would look at other areas as well, it all depends on house prices and location of nice sailing areas.

As we haven't sold our house over here yet we have plenty of time to investigate which yachts would be suit our needs.

I agree that transportation of a yacht wouldn't be cost effective so it will be a long hard hunt I think. Although once I get back to the UK I will have a couple of months free time to allow me to search various locations for both our new home and our yacht.

We really would like to move somewhere on the west coast with a Loch open to the western coast. So far Ullapool has ticked the boxes of what we are looking for, although we will need to investigate further to ensure we can get moorings and also a boat yard that will enable us to get the boat out of the water for maintenance. We have found one house on the southern side of Loch Broom that has a mooring and Loch frontage which would be very nice for us. It is just a matter of selling this house so that we can get back to the UK and do some on the ground investigation.

tilmansailing

Visit site
I own the Colvic Sailer referred to. I have had her for 8 years and she has performed very well having taken me and my wife to France (well down the west coast to Royan) 3 times, circumnavigated the Irish Sea, cruised Cardigan Bay and southern Scottish Islands. Although my wife sails with me she takes NO part in boat handling, watch keeping, etc. so I am effectively single handed.
I would recommend this as a safe, dependable but rather slow yacht. You will find that the fast yachts tend to be a bit flighty. You will have always had a crew on the Contessas you sailed on while in the RN, as did I when I was in the RAF, but as a boat owner you will need to handle things by yourself quite often, so give up fast in exchange for solid and reliable.

cdhsoftware

Hi,

I agree, my wife and I want a stable handling yacht so the Colvic would be in my sights when I get back to the UK (soon I hope LOL).

Would you have sailed the Hurleys as well when you were in the RAF?

They were great little workhorses, we had to live on one for a week as part of our basic training and that was great fun.