Xmas Break

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Once again we find ourselves without firm plans for Xmas and no invitations that simply cant be resisted. Has anyone any suggestions for a short (5-7days or so) break somewhere warm enough to be worth going, cheap enough to be affordable (for us, not you matts!) and near enough to water to offer a chance of getting afloat?
(raggystickythings not ruled out).

boatone@boatsonthethames.co.uk

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Cyprus...very nice also c this time of year...

We are off to La Gomera.Cheap food /booze and warm.Fly xmas day. M25 to gatwick deserted + plus no ATC tantrums....You can go to all the parties but can skip seeing the tedious relatives and avoid all the absolutely rubbish TV as well.Several small harbours with boats to drool over to complete the scene.Come back new years day.When its all gone away for another bl.....y year.Yours,
Ebeneeser S.

ChrisP

Visit site
Spending Xmas on the boat. Heating on loads to eat & drink, good company, no exchange rate and no family get togethers or booring parties. Is ther a better alternative.

david_steward

Visit site
We plan to take our tub from Ramsgate to the Solent for a week just after Xmas. Probably with a stop in Brighton on the way. Look out for Odyssea and make yourself known. Heavy drinkers only. But you may have to join in a raucous karaoke.

With the eberspacher wound full up and some nice gentle mood music of a sea shore, could almost be abroad. Except flying off somewhere proper hot would certainly be cheaper.

Ho Hum

Dave S

G

um, that's me told.

Seem good ideas all round, specially that flat in spain.
Nice weather in Egypt, cheap with yanks all gorn. Luxor is fab, lots to do, but 1night max in cairo. Pool is heated in luxor sheraton, not in winterpalace.
Next year, try a house swap? there are loads of websites, and all you pay for is flights.
Cape town is nice, not much opp for going on the water with massive ocean all around.
There's a new marina and loads of development going on in tunisia, I hear.

suzanne

Visit site
Popping over to Spain, leaving the parents behind, they just get in the way you know how it is! Anyone know what colour shirts the Spanards wear?

Suzanne xXx

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Thanks matt - dont feel bad, no offence intended even if i didnt get your boatpics repeat business!
Already thinking re Egypt. Did the nile trip luxor-aswan a few years ago on a little paddle steamer (a la Death on the Nile type) and had a great holiday apart from the obligatory one day dellybelly.
Didnt see any yellow shirts tho so not much chance of bumping into Suzanne!

boatone@boatsonthethames.co.uk

G

I didn't want to presume re pics, but will sendem, so build a monster library of them.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Xmas Break-getting clearer

If I had a big enough, warm enough boat there'd be no contest. Unfortunately I dont (and its being lifted today anyway....sob,sob) so something else has to be done. Aren't some of the responses here great...beginning to cook up an itinerary...cyprus, egypt. s.africa, la gomera, portugal, - a sort of progressive xmas visiting you lot. Maybe even a flying visit to Brighton for karaoke with you and DaveS (please, not Rod Stewart)! Sorry Byron, Dartmoor's out!!!

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com

billskip

Visit site
would say come sailing over in Greece..lovely and warm could sail down to Crete and if we missed we may end up in ...??..but I met a young lady last season and am spending xmas with her....Im now in north Sweden!!.. bloody cold now...Sea is frozen so no big waves...love IS blind...

ArthurWood

Visit site
S. Florida, Florida Keys, Bahamas/Abacos/Exumas, Caribbean - all normally warmer than any place in Europe at that time of year, all near water and probably uncrowded and without the 'us and them' of UK rag and stick vs power. Plenty of opportunity to get out on the water. And the people are generally friendly and eager to please.
AW/27degN

traceyandsteve

Visit site
We're off to Portugal this year, but I'm not expecting it to be very warm. We were restricted because we're taking HWMBO's kids (6, 9 and 12) and needed something short-haul with kids activities. Got a great deal on price though.

We went to Cyprus last year - just the two of us and had a great time, but it was quiet. Stayed in the Amathus Beach in Limassol which was v nice. It's where George Best was staying when he got rushed into hospital last week (not sure that's much of a recommendation though!). Weather was nice too.

Tracey