Would you do the OSTAR and if so, in what?

dralex

Visit site
There's an interesting collection of boats owned by normal people starting the OSTAR this year. Would you enter, and if so would you use your own boat or try and borrow one.

Personally, I have this little gnawing feeling at the back of my mind that it is something I would like to aspire to in the future, not to try and be up there in the medals, but just for the sake of doing it. I potentially could even do it in my current boat. I'm not sure what minimum size of boat would make me feel comfortable.

Bon voyage to all of them.

ridgy

Visit site
Not nearly as interesting a collection as there will be for next years Jester Challenge; max length 30' with no rules or scrutineering....

MrG_2

Visit site
I'd be happier doing it in my own boat. You get to know the foibles.
There's also the point that you know how and what standard
the maintenance is up to...

snowleopard

Visit site
I did.

I built a 39 ft tri for the job. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to iron out problems I had to do my qualifier in April in a F9 and the steering quadrant snapped during the race so I had to retire.

I considered entering this year in my present cat but decided I didn't have the time and going to windward for 3000 miles holds a lot less appeal that it did when I was in my 20's.

If I were choosing a boat for the event I would go for either another tri or something like an Open 50.

StellaGirl

Visit site
Here is a little peak...I have lots more pics though....
66edec8e.jpg

dralex

Visit site
That looks really fun- looks more like a downwind crazy boat. Does it have retractable bowsprit etc ie is it a bigger version of the Mini transat Boats?

bobfrost

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not nearly as interesting a collection as there will be for next years Jester Challenge; max length 30' with no rules or scrutineering....

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO Ridgy is right. Seriously considering the one after next years in 26' Contessa.

britishbeagle

Visit site
Hi Dralex, that's what I set out to do, time ticks away and now I'm three months before the start of my fist OSTAR on my Sigma 36. You can follow the preparations for my race and all the news at this site, www.jamorph.com
Ciao!
M