Would it be wrong to ..

jimi

Visit site
wake up a ship by firing a multi shot firework display at them. I've always wanted to do tthat but fear itwuld be perrceived as irresponsible. What do you think?

FullCircle

Visit site
I am indeed guilty of firing a mini flare at the bridge window of a freighter who was about to run me down. Scary,especioally as I was only 50m inside the shipping lane at west Hook Middle in the Thames.

He swung hard over when it bounced.

Blueboatman

Visit site
A virtual beer to FC for the direct hit!

Carried a miniflare gun for years and quite fancied the 'Oy wake up, up there you barstewards' white flare tactic.
Finally got to release a few on a riverside July 4th party and 1, they weren't quite the long range Scud missile that I had imagined but 2, around half of the flares didn't actually fire at all-so in that sense quite like a Scud missile?

Seajet

Visit site
Yes, shine a million candlepower light at the bridge, a blinded large ship coming at you is perfect...

Chay Blythe mentions carrying 'explosives' to wake up ships etc on British Steel's trip; with his background, I imagine we're talking about Thunderflashes, I've seen a whole mess ceiling being rebuilt after an evening with those around got a bit out of hand; but they do seem ideal !

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Yes, shine a million candlepower light at the bridge, a blinded large ship coming at you is perfect...

I've done it once, coming into Santa Cruz de Tenerife at night when a fast tug appeared suddenly and very close out of the city shorelights. It was most effective - the vessel turned away sharply immediately.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it!

- W

Elessar

Visit site
Get one of those "million candle" torches, - pointed directly at the bridge...

Yep this works but only at night of course. 5 passes of the wheelhouse appears as 5 flashes within, then point at your sails for 5 secs, repeat. White flare your only hope in the day I reckon. Last time I did this the boat had brown sails which didn't add to my sense of wellbeing but the ship turned anyway after the 3rd or 4th flash/sails cycle.