Would any body show us around?

mhatherall

www.green-sky.co.uk
Hello everybody, its been a while since my last post, I have been waitng for a new engine in my fairline holiday, should be done now by the end of feb, as will be looking for some accompaniment, around cardiff bay to get the hang on the area, would be VERY greatful for any help.

Regards

Mike

mhatherall

www.green-sky.co.uk
Hi Sneddon thanks for the message, Yes new engine, set me back about £8k all in all, but went for a slightly bigger one at a 4.2 l v6, but boat is in good condition so the way I see it I now have a nice boat with a bran new engine should be able to get some use soon now, ohh and POWER Stearing :) YAY.
Do you get about in cardiff bay would be good to get some advice.

Thanks

Mike

graham

Visit site
I would love a spin around the Bay when your ready.Most of my time off is during weekdays and some odd weekends,where are you going to moor the boat?
Lifeboat1.jpg

Lifeboat3.jpg

Gets a bit rough on Cardiff Bay sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mhatherall

www.green-sky.co.uk
AS to where will I motor the boat, up and around the cost would be good to start, around barry, porthcawl, possibly over to swansea, and weston, I would LOVE one day to be able to go across the channel, jersey and france, but I am not sure I would ever be brave enough, or have any support, I did hope that my boat would be sutable, but I guess we will just have to wait and see?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Watchet and Weston are cross-Channel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would you trailer to the south coast for a X-C trip? If not I'd consider the passages down the Devon and Cornwall coast to be much more challenging and serious

mhatherall

www.green-sky.co.uk
Well the boat is quite big, and my car wont be up to pulling it, so I was hoping to do the trips in the boat, hoping with the right planning and enough time, the trip would be doable, but this is the main reason I come here to seek advice from the people with the experience.
I learn a lot from people helping.
Mike

graham

Visit site
Initially just motoring around the Bay and practicing coming alongside pontoons etc will give you the feel of the boat and perhaps any teething problems with the boat or engine will show themselves and can be sorted out in safety .Once you and the boat get a bit more confidence /knowledge start locking out and planning passages to such tropical paradises as Portishead Watchet etc. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At the same time as getting in some practical boating you should think about learning some of the theory of navigation ,weather, Col regs etc etc.Either in an evening class or from books CDrom etc.

People who buy a boat leap aboard and set off straight away often end up as lifeboat shouts.Also if you frighten the pants off your friends and family you will end up with no crew /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Just been looking at what a Fairline Holiday is and...........i would be very careful in the BC. It gets quite nasty very quickly so with no keel it will be scary.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
That's better qualifications than most (including me!) - at least you know what you don't know, so to speak, and know how to find out. Lot's of help to be found here, and have a good time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike_S

Visit site
Grahams advice of just pottering round the bay and getting plenty of practice of coming alongside the pontoons is a good one, we did exactly that for our first couple of weekends last year and it helped a lot. Trying to get in every which way and allowing for the wind is useful for the bay, along with making tight turns at less than a walking pace. From our perspective it was *very* different going from the boat we'd used to do our RYA training in (Tiger Bay's RIB), to our own boat on the day we put it in the water for the first time. Even on tickover we found out our boat moves *significantly* quicker than the RIB and much too quickly to safely moor up, so spending a couple of days getting used to how your boat behaves in the relative safety of the Bay is well worth it. We found that stopping our boat was harder as well, it's heavier than the RIB and didn't respond as quickly to the control inputs. Simple things like knowing which way the outdrive is pointing when you're crawling along crop up as well (easy to see when there's an outboard engine behind you that's visible). Also just listen to the VHF whilst you're out, again it's useful.

Have fun though.

graham

Visit site
Sorry if my post was telling you to do things youve allready done eg dayskipper. Its difficult to know what level people are at from forums. Some of the most reliable boat /yacht skippers I know have no qualifications at all but I still think courses are very worthwile.

The new V6 will hardly get warm in the Bay,I suspect it wont be long before you start looking at the charts and deciding where else to go. Portishead and Watchet are both about 20 miles away so probably less than an hour for you in quiet weather if you only want to do a day visit they do a short stay for a reduced fee.

If the wind picks up either place can suddenly seem much further away than you think so the weather and tide rules eveything.

The run up to Bristol is interesting the locks into the City center are 7 miles up the river Avon.In the last couple of miles you go through the Avon Gorge and under the Clifton Suspension bridge. Theres a small Marina in the docks or you can moor against the wall and just pay harbour dues.

I envy you the next few years going to new places .Its not as exciting visiting somewhere you have been lots of times.

POHEAD1.jpg

Me just leaving Portishead Marina a few weeks ago.Picture taken by Damo.

WatchetM.jpg

Watchet Marina
MathewAvonGorge.jpg

Sailing Ship Mathew coming up through the Avon Gorge towards Bristol.