Worn team trim

Marakei

Visit site
I am renovating a 53 year old Westerly 22.

She has a large amount of teak trim, which has been left to go grey.

Some of it is in good condition and can be kept, but some is weathered and brittle, and needs replaced.

It may be a while before I get round to this job, but if there is a quick and easy way to improve the appearance of the weathered trim in the meantime, I will do it because it looks awful.

Does anyone have any ideas? Teak oil has been suggested, but I've heard it goes mouldy in the marine environment.

James_Calvert

Visit site
If you're going to replace it or rub it back down smooth at some point anyway I'd suggest pressure washing it.

I'll leave others to say why you shouldn't....

nickd

Visit site
It depends on whether you want to go sailing at all?
If you want to go sailing leave it silver, if you want it to look great then spend every minute you are on the boat rubbing oil into it....

Tranona

Visit site
Sand back to remove all the surface deposits. It is quite likely you will end up with patchy bits of deeper staining which you can improve by using either a proprietary teak cleaner or make your own using oxalid acid. Unlikely you will be able to get it back to pristine condition but it will look reasonable. Use International Woodskin to coat it if you want a finish. Avoid oils or anything that claims to soak into the wood as they rarely last and can attract more deposits.

Be aware that this work is time consuming, but if you put in the effort getting it clean and then coat you should not need to do anything much apart from touching up or adding a coat every couple of years.

jwilson

Visit site
If you're going to replace it or rub it back down smooth at some point anyway I'd suggest pressure washing it.

I'll leave others to say why you shouldn't....

Because pressure washers are otherwise known as "leak finders".... even if there wasn't one before. Also they rapidly wreck teak. With teak, grey is good. Golden is lovely, but permanent work. Green and black means you need Patio Magic or Boracol.

Marakei

Visit site
Thank you for the advice.

I will sand and use International Woodskin on the hull rubbing strakes, as Tranona suggests.

I will leave the top rubbing strake and the toe rails as they are, as there is clearly nothing to do that won't involve a lot of time.

Until they get replaced we will just have to look like a bit of an old hulk, which, to be realistic, is what the boat is anyway.

I am not a pressure washing fan in this case, exactly because I think it might cause leaks, and it also might be the last straw for the teak in bad condition.