worldwide insurance

phil3984

Visit site
Does anybody know of insurance companies offering cover.
I am buying a boat in the states and want cover to New Zealand

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I am with St Margarets covered throughout english channel at a very competitive rate, but have no idea how much worldwide cover will be. Some companies will not insure world wide, and some will only do 3rd party cover. Most will not touch single handed for any distance (mine is not happy about overnight single handed passages) and of course it will depend on t he type of boat. ask them all and get a quote!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BigART

Visit site
Many will not cover couples either, not even third party only outside Elbe to La Rochelle. Very risk averse these days. My wife and I are struggling to find third party coverage outside these areas for our long trip on a well found steel sailing yacht.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Just investigated this:
I had so far:
Med, North Sea, Baltic Sea and Atlantic east of 30W and north of 10N for 0.66% of insured value p.a.
I was quoted on a pro-rata (per day) basis on phone notice teh following adjustments:
Leaving Cape Verdes to Caribbean and to Panama: 1.2% of insured value p.a.
Leaving Panama, all Pacific: 1.5% of insured value p.a.
N.Z. 1.2% of insured value p.a.
Also got some other quotes, those were more expensive.
These quotes are from Pantaenius.
I don't think the N.Z. rate is particularly attractive, but with a European Insurer settling costs in remote places are more expensive, so understandable. And once there I can always try to figure out something new.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.taniwani.de>http://www.taniwani.de</A>

AndrewB

Visit site
Sounds like Pantaneius have dropped their premiums. A few years back they quoted me the equivalent of 3.5% for Atlantic coverage, with loads of limitations. I've not bothered with them since.

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
I was insured with Pantaneius for 10 years and had cover for Atlantic & Med. a few years ago they they more than doubled my renewal when i was in Spain. I got better cover for less than my prevoius premium from St. Maragrets.

This year I changed my sailing plans and St. Maragrets were unable to offer me cover so now I'm wiht Bishop Skinner (as of last week)

Seems to be a minefield and you MUST shop around as I had quotes From GBP600 to GBP 2400 for the SAME cover from different insurers.

But you can get cover it just a factor of money - sometimes lots of it.

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk
You really really need to study the policy wording

I had been insured with Pantaenius for a number of years including an Atlantic circuit and I found them excellent until last year when they doubled my premium despite my 60% NCB, forcing me to go elsewhere. They were excellent when I had a little bump into a buoy that somebody dropped behind my Genny.

The lesson I learned is that the premium is the least of the worries. The most important is the wording. Some insurers seem to try to apply their motor insurance wordings to yachts. IMHO, If you don't study and understand the policy wording, you may be wasting your money.

<hr width=100% size=1>
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/brendanchandler/index.html

temptress

gbr195t.com
Re: You really really need to study the policy wording

I agree about the wording. That's why you need to look at the small print. There are many good insurance companies out there and I found that good cover can be found .

But it's all a mater of price. ST Margs and Bishop Skinner offered me bascily the same cover as Pantaenius (althought I'm sure each of these would argure that their cover was better) but Pantaenius was over twice as much as the other two.

For the record I should state that this year we are stuck in the UK - need to work to pay for the next trip. I previously, until last year, had Atlantic/Med insurance.

Is voyaging not suppose to be a way to get out of the rat race?

what about just going with 3rd party insurance? The reason I ask is most marinas in the world are insisting on this now and so it is becoming a requirement as, while I away, I like the odd week or two alongside every now and then

Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk
Public Liability only?

This is certainly an option, if you do not have a mortgage on your boat. To a large extent you can define the risks you are running but again check the wording.

In addition to losing your boat, gear and personal effects, you could also be lumbered with a large bill for salvage work which failed and possibly another bill to clear the wreckage from a harbour if you are silly enough to sink there.

The rich can afford to do without comp. insurance and we poor must work to pay the premiums.

<hr width=100% size=1>
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/brendanchandler/index.html

phil3984

Visit site
Thanks to all those people who have responded :

Ok the latest : St Margarets not interested, Admiral Not Interested
Quote received Pantaenius for east coats states and florida but will not cover once i go through Panama canal £2000.
Awaiting quote from Blue water based in the states as i fiqured need to try and fish in a bigger pond !

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
Re: Public Liability only?

I disagree about the rich bit. This is a subject I'm interested in and I've always had comp. cover on my boat. It just getting so difficult and expensive I'm looking at alternatives.

Any ideas? What sort of cover have other people been able to get. I like the idea of getting cover in the US think I'll look into that.

Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

phil3984

Visit site

Does it not occur to any one we sail in the english channel the busiest piece of water in the world and yet to be insured in less busy waters ie caribbean we pay a hefty premiums? I have now found cover from American insurers approx half the cost of uk insurerers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

hamish

Visit site

I have been looking at 3rd party cover and agree check wording as you will also need "wreck removal" which the Country/Marine "thinks" you have because of 3rd party cover and it is NOT always included.

YOU have to ask for it.

If you do not have wreck removal and your pride and joy sinks in harbour you will have to pay for it to be removed

Hamish

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi!

Yes, I agree Andrew, Pantaneius were very expensive when I enquired for UK-Med and Med-Caribbean-UK. In the end I stayed with Bishop Skinner (the RYA brokers) whom I've been with for years and who produced the best quote. Didn't think to try Saga though, so they may be better.

Main problem was that we only wanted two aboard but couldn't get anywhere near reasonable rates from anyone, despite having done the trips before and sailed offshore for 30 odd years with never a claim.

Seems that experience and insurance track record counts for little these days.

Good sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest