woodpeckers ate my mast

EASLOOP

Visit site
My East Anglian sloop has a solid spruce mast that has sustained woodpecker damage. I am getting close to repair time and so seek input from those who are interestd. The main damage is about half weay up the mast and consists of a hole some 1 inch or so deep, 1.5 inches wide and about 2 - 3 inches long along the length of the mast. I propose to make a plug from spruce with a 12 to 1 scarf but only as wide as the hole so it will be some 12 to 18 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. The mast has also suffered two other areas of damage just beneath the upper spreaders. This damage is some 2.5 inches wide but only 1/4 to 1/2 deep. It looks almost as though a cat had scratched the timber. I am concerned that this damage may have weakened the mast too much to make it serviceable. Any ideas.
Thanks folks
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
That has to be a first!

Sorry to hear of your problem, but LMAO. Where are you based - a place for wooden yachts to avoid!

I'm not able to advise. Inserting graving pieces into solid masts is common enough, the usual rule is that damage along the length is not so important, but crosswise damage is serious.

<hr width=100% size=1>

EASLOOP

Visit site
Re: That has to be a first!

Hi,
I'm based on the Medway - won't say which boatyard (she's ashore) - no pack no packdrill and all that. The offending bird was observed by me and others to be attacking an alloy mast on one occasion - no bugs in there, surely!

Thanks for your input - it does make sense that longitudinal stress is less onerous that lateral.

Rgds
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
Woodpecker? Pffft, try camel

You think a woodpecker is bad?

The boats of my sea scout troop are winterised under shelter on a lot of the port of Ghent. Unfortunately, the port of Ghent decided to let the adjacent lot to a circus which was wintering there. And unfortunately the circus decided that, like the chickens, camels should be left to roam freely. And apparently camels, like hamsters, need to gnaw on things to keep their teeth from growing too long. So what better to gnaw on than an oak rubbing strake of a 30ft gaff rigged schooner ?

If it wasn't so hilarious, I would have shot the double-humped beast myself.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

clio

Visit site
Re: Woodpecker? Pffft, try camel

Its claimed thats the reason, some people wear wooden shoes, so the wood peckers will their heads alone

<hr width=100% size=1>