women friendly courses

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Mrs S 2b
wants to do day skipper and theory combined. She is getting seriously twitchy about wanting a boat *hoorah thankyou mr B*
anyway
i know some of the sailing schools do women only comp crew. does anyone know a woman friendly theory and practical outfit?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Yes, and no

Madame did a w-o day skip course with [ah em!], Portsmouth. Instruction wasn't up to much, and the skipper was an MCP, but les girls had a V.G. time.

She then did a YM course with Southern Sailing, Southampton, which was not w-o, and was 10 tiimes better.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Yes, and no

the practical she is not that bothered but the theory made me think.
talking to a mate who did his theory a while back. he basically said the blokes had been sailing a bit and saw it merely as formalising their knowledge and just wanted to rattle through the course and pick up their certificate . the women wanted to learn and go slower and more thorough. it all got a bit nasty.
or am i just being a bit too protective??

btw
she has gone to london today, shopping.
she reckons she needs underwear under her wedding dress
i told her not to bother as i would be too drunk to notice
she scowled
is this a bad sign?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Stingo

Visit site
Re: Not a bad sign

no it's not a bad sign. It shows that your true love is still alcohol and faithful to it, you will always be.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- now showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

jimi

Visit site
Re: Yes, and no

Dinnae worry Sailbad, Stingo & I will take Mrs S2B under our wing and show her the ropes, we're very woman friendly you know. Mrs Jimi & eldest daughter went on a WO 2 weekend course with Sunsail about 3 or 4 years ago, they really did learn quite a lot. Much more than they would have from me .. of course!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
BOSS do good women-only practical courses - but I've never heard of women-only theory.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
spoken to Boss
they are really helpful
mixed theory and then women only day skip.

Stingo

Visit site
SAILBAD, jimi & I will do it for her. See his previous post above. And at the same time, we'll tell her what you're really like and save you the hassle of a wedding.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- now showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
just spoken to her
she wants to do it AFTER the wedding.
so i get a costly divorce thanks

you still need crew for the scillies
btw
you don't fancy a week in Turkey do you
SS have one week Bareboat oneway trip £199 each flights incl leavinng 12th and 19th april. min two people for 32 ft or 3 for a 39ft.
how cool is that 120 miles sailing in the sun for 200 squids.

Stingo

Visit site
I could handle that. jimi are you and mrs jimi available too. We could take three boats then and do some research on disposable Sunsail anchors

Laurin

Visit site
Are you wanting all female with female instructor, or all female but could be male instructor. A1 Sailing at Burnham http://www.a1sailing.ltd.uk/ are really flexible and often have all female crews, the instructor is really nice as well (not patronising like some).

If you really want a female instructor, I have been talking with Martin about running some all female courses for him later in the year.... give him a call and he should be able to sort something out.

It's a brand new boat and with all the toys, and at least you'll be able to chat to the actual instructor before committing to the course, big advantage over larger schools where you don't know who you will be getting. My Day Skipper instructor thought that a good way to teach was to let me get on with it and yell at me if things went wrong. I just about coped but a girl doing her comp crew the same week got upset when he yelled at her.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Mrs TomE did her Day Skipper theory in a mixed shorebase course, but didn't want to be the only girl in the practical course. I had a word with Sunsail in Port Solent and when we bowled up the crew was all female with a young female instructor.

She had a brilliant week and phoned me daily with updates - she reckons that it was one of the best weeks of her life and I was naturally delighted. The instructor is currently skipper of New York Clipper racing round the world so I don't think she'll be back until the autumn (Sam Fuller is her name) but you might enquire.

She duly received her certificate, but more to the point she gained a lot of confidence and is now much more actively involved in our sailing, often doing the passage plan with a bit of help from time to time. Last seasons she did her first night watch alone, allowing me to get a couple of hours precious sleep.

This year we're sailing down to La Rochelle and she is currently buried in charts and pilot books! Good luck to Mrs SB 2 B - it's well worth the effort.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
saw sam in falmouth in october when all the clippers were in
en route to the start line

what i want isa sailing partner and not crew.at the mo she reads the pilot book and says i want to go there and then sulks as i explain why we can't cos asltho it looks close on chart it is in fact 200nm away and therefore we cannot be there before the ancient ruin closes at 4pm.

i want her to come back and start ordering me around and getting up and taking boat out on her own if i cannot be arsed to get up.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
I reckon Mrs S2b should do a "mixed" course. My one did and all was OK although she felt under pressure to perform - if you see what I mean. So lots of encouragement was the order of the day.

She ended up better than most of the blokes! So - choughed.

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

FlyingSpud

Visit site
Just a thought, is Day skipper the best starter course?

Faced with a similar scenario a few years ago I arranged a Competent Crew course, with the two of us and an instructor on a smallish boat (the sort we were likely to buy as a starter), OK for me it was hardly necessary, but I felt by suggesting there was plenty I could learn it made her feel more part of a team rather than a crew.

She did the theory day skipper the following winter (without me) after we had our own boat, blokes on this, but she felt less intimidated as she had a few miles under her belt.

Now, quite a few years on, she now has costal skipper theory and practical and has been talking about doing Yachtmaster, maybe next year.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
I did think that

but comp crew she could do on her head she would not be challenged by that. She knows halyards and sail trimming anchors bowlines warps etc. She wants to learn the nav and wants confidence parking the boat.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
all females
seems daft having all women then some hairy bloke as the teacher.

Mangusta

N/A
Visit site
When myself and a few of the girls enquired about this last year, we found a school in Conwy that was the nearest for us, they did female only courses on occassions.

<hr width=100% size=1>