Woman dies after shark attack while sailing in a catamaran 278nm SW of Gran Canaria

38mess

Visit site
When we had Hands to Bathe in the RN there was usually a guy with a machine gun up top looking out for sharks. As a stoker we were encouraged to get over the side. I never did like it... Miles of nothingness under me

Trident

Visit site
I was on Dalliance only a few months ago when it was for sale at Multihull World ; nice boat and very quick but carpets throughout ... must be really tough to get the blood out

I quite like a sea swim but some places terrify me - I was watching coverage of a swim then cycle in Australia with the lady explaining how this time of year the salties (crocs) don't come this far up river and the tiger sharks have normally moved on ... everything there wants to kill you !

Chris 249

Visit site
And don’t forget to make sure you can get back out. Some boats have no access to the boat from the sea. If you all jump rashly because it’s too hot you are stuffed. It has happened before. Or put someone onboard on lifeguard duty.

There was an incident here in Oz a few years ago where a cat was found drifting Marie Celeste fashion. The best theory I've read was that some people went for a swim and found they couldn't get back aboard, and perhaps the last man (if there was one) fell in trying to rescue them. The fact that many people in warm water sail boats they cannot reboard scares the hell out of me, but it's very common.

I cleaned my hull about 5 miles from a great white playground on the weekend. Sharks don't seem to take people who are close to a hull or sail, so one can perhaps cool off in mid ocean if you stay very close to the boat. About 10 nm further out is a sea cave where you can dive or snorkel with grey nurse sharks. They don't attack humans and it's fun to look down on them - but it's still an interesting feeling to be a few metres down and to see one of the stereotypical front-on views of a shark swimming your way and silhouetted against the sun and foam.

Chris 249

Visit site
Trident the cute cuddly Koala can give you Clamidia.

And koalas are boring and sound like chavs having a drunken brawl. We have platypuses, which are much more fun but in the typical local fashion that ensuring wildlife should be able to make you scream if not kill you, the males sometimes have a spur with one of the most painful venoms known to man.

Bouba

Visit site
There was an incident here in Oz a few years ago where a cat was found drifting Marie Celeste fashion. The best theory I've read was that some people went for a swim and found they couldn't get back aboard, and perhaps the last man (if there was one) fell in trying to rescue them. The fact that many people in warm water sail boats they cannot reboard scares the hell out of me, but it's very common.

I cleaned my hull about 5 miles from a great white playground on the weekend. Sharks don't seem to take people who are close to a hull or sail, so one can perhaps cool off in mid ocean if you stay very close to the boat. About 10 nm further out is a sea cave where you can dive or snorkel with grey nurse sharks. They don't attack humans and it's fun to look down on them - but it's still an interesting feeling to be a few metres down and to see one of the stereotypical front-on views of a shark swimming your way and silhouetted against the sun and foam.
I’ve swam with nurse sharks...walked with crocodiles....come face to face with spitting cobras....stroked hippos....and even dived in an aquarium in Australia with all sorts of incredibly large sharks....and cuddled a baby lion