Wolf Rock

fisherman

Visit site
Since Fal port anchorage extended we see ships anchoring in deep water inshore, and big ones deep off the Lizard, poss 20-30 fm or more. Outside and right up to the Wolf is mostly 37fm.

penfold

Visit site
I've wondered about this on other occasions when ships are drifting - are they even able to deploy/ recover the anchor(s) without main engine power? I can see that deploying without the ability to recover would mean dumping the anchor(s) and chain if the problem can't be fixed in situ. And what amount of rode would they carry anyway - ie how deep can they anchor? From a commercial point of view carrying tons and tons of chain uses fuel all the time - perhaps it's cheaper to call a tug on the extremely rare occasion things go wrong near anything to hit?
The main engine is never the only source of electrical power and often provides none at all; shaft generators have drifted in and out of popularity several times. All ships have the ability to generate power to run all loads without the main engine running, that includes the windlass. There are fairly regular stories of poorly maintained windlasses being unable to retrieve the cable after anchoring or occasionally the windlass is just underspecified; if the anchor can't be deployed it's an expensive decoration.

fisherman

Visit site
Another tug from Fowey has arrived. The weather is particularly bad tomorrow. 40kts S
I think I have a solution to the unloading problem: bring in another roro and moor them in Falmouth stern to stern.

fisherman

Visit site
Thanks. Do you think she is to be repaired? Just interested in what happens to the cargo. Need a lot of tractor units to take it away. Has she still got no propulsion?

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Thanks. Do you think she is to be repaired? Just interested in what happens to the cargo. Need a lot of tractor units to take it away. Has she still got no propulsion?
Don’t know. Stena Europe booked into dry dock for Saturday. You can follow updates on Facebook Falmouth for Orders.

fisherman

Visit site
That's a 225% increase in ferry traffic overall. Wonder what all the extra is? A dramatic incease in trade anyway.
Actually my maths is up the chute. It could be anything from a huge increase to a huge reduction.

the median is where the GB trade was 90, now 45, EU was 15, now 60, so exactly the same, 105 overall.