Wolf Rock

ylop

Visit site
Is it on wheels then?
it’s quite common to drive your artic truck on, unhitch the trailer then take the tractor unit off. There’s no need for the driver or tractor unit to be tied up for hours at sea. This approach is used on the longer calmac services (albeit alongside vehicles that do have drivers, passengers etc). If the cargo was not on wheels it would presumably be easier to use containerised shipment than a RoRo.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Does beg the question; why did they not stream their anchor? Either to allow the engineers time to sort the problem or allow a tug to appear. 60m is probably too deep to anchor but not so deep a streamed anchor would not greatly slow drift rate.
Let the blame begin 😁

ylop

Visit site
Does beg the question; why did they not stream their anchor? Either to allow the engineers time to sort the problem or allow a tug to appear. 60m is probably too deep to anchor but not so deep a streamed anchor would not greatly slow drift rate.
Are you certain they didn’t? Or could that have increased the chance of hitting the rock?

ylop

Visit site
So does your source indicate a patch up and carry on? I suppose if she came inside port limits she would have to pay fees, and get impounded as well
I read something this morning from the Harbour Authority that she would remain outside the Harbour area until they were satisfied that she presented less risk from bringing her in - i.e. presumably isn't at risk of sinking and creating a pollution/navigation risk. I doubt the cost of port fees is significantly worse than the cost of the tug and salvage crew working 24/7.

Frank Holden

Visit site
Is it on wheels then?
Yes - hence 'ro-ro'.
Probably a generic name now but in the day job we used MAFI's http://infinops.com.sg/?page_id=1865. lower left pic in the link shows the 'trailer' .. top left the tractor.
You could load 4 x 20 foot boxes on one trailer or the MAFI prime movers could be used to load unaccompanied trailers.
We had accom for 12 drivers and usually had a few each night. The big contract outfits would send trailers without prime movers.
Trailer/prime mover combos with driver were typically 'one off'.
That was on Bass Strait.

fisherman

Visit site
I used to watch on the ferry and wonder whether it was economical to just load a trailer, saving on the tractor space and driver cost. Need a lot of extra tractor units, but some of the fish exporters with haulage do have UK tractors towing French trailers, and leaving them at Plymouth. With a bit of forethought they could deliver and pick up trailers at the same ferry. Seems logical to me.
The worst for economy must be the vivier lorries, much of what they carry is water.

Frank Holden

Visit site
I used to watch on the ferry and wonder whether it was economical to just load a trailer, saving on the tractor space and driver cost. Need a lot of extra tractor units, but some of the fish exporters with haulage do have UK tractors towing French trailers, and leaving them at Plymouth. With a bit of forethought they could deliver and pick up trailers at the same ferry. Seems logical to me.
The worst for economy must be the vivier lorries, much of what they carry is water.
Pretty much how it worked for us. Starting at 0700 arrival we would use MAFI tractors to discharge everything into the yard. Discharge typically finished by 1000 by which time most of the 'export' cargo was waiting to be loaded. That would be done by early afternoon and then just wait on late stuff - you know - priority air freight :) - to turn up just before 1700 departure.
So the drivers for the big customers would be dropping off trailers and boxes just before breakfast and be back on the road again after lunch.

dunedin

Visit site
Unaccompanied freight trailers are very common practice on the Scottish island ferries. Like post #52 small tractor units are used at each harbour end to load/unload.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Statement Against Enquiry - MV Mazarine
The vessel “MAZARINE” was involved in an incident close to Wolf Rock lighthouse (off Land’s End Cornwall) on Monday.
We welcome and applaud the efforts on Monday of the Coastguard, the local response including the personnel from A&P Falmouth on the Tug Mercia, the RNLI and other support vessels to tow the vessel towards safety. Without those efforts the outcome could have been very different.
As a Statutory Harbour Authority it is Falmouth Harbour’s duty and role to act on behalf of all harbour stakeholders, whilst complying with all relevant legislation and manage risks to the harbour area, its users and the environment.
Falmouth Harbour encompasses and borders a number of very sensitive and valuable marine habitats. These environmental designations include; a Special Area of Conservation, two Marine Conservation Zones and a Special Protection Area.
We are working hard with multiple agencies to find a solution for the vessel. The parties involved include; SOSREP (the Secretary of State’s Representative) and the ship’s insurance company, local operators, the vessel owners and their representatives, the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA), and our insurers;
At 12:15 am this morning the vessel was granted permission under a Direction from the Secretary of State’s Representative to enter Falmouth Harbour Port Limits. The vessel entered the Harbour limits at 07:45am today under tow and local pilot and is now at anchor in Falmouth Bay. A hull survey will be completed today and we will then work with the agencies and ship’s owners and representatives to determine next steps.
It is critical that the vessel’s condition is ascertained quickly whilst a weather window exists to do so safely and then get the best overall outcome. This is an ongoing and quickly evolving situation and Falmouth Harbour will continue to work with partners to ensure that all risks are minimised and a speedy resolution can be reached.
We will make further statements in due course. Miles Carden, CEO Falmouth Harbour 12/07/2023 v2

penfold

Visit site
Are you certain they didn’t? Or could that have increased the chance of hitting the rock?
The port anchor is in its hawse pipe, I've not seen any picture of the starboard side so I am making an assumption. Calm-ish weather, a big rock is nearby and I'm drifting toward it with engine failure; I'm going to dredge my anchor unless it means a really big bill from Cable & Wireless, there are a few subsea cables around there.

KevinV

Visit site
The port anchor is in its hawse pipe, I've not seen any picture of the starboard side so I am making an assumption. Calm-ish weather, a big rock is nearby and I'm drifting toward it with engine failure; I'm going to dredge my anchor unless it means a really big bill from Cable & Wireless, there are a few subsea cables around there.
I've wondered about this on other occasions when ships are drifting - are they even able to deploy/ recover the anchor(s) without main engine power? I can see that deploying without the ability to recover would mean dumping the anchor(s) and chain if the problem can't be fixed in situ. And what amount of rode would they carry anyway - ie how deep can they anchor? From a commercial point of view carrying tons and tons of chain uses fuel all the time - perhaps it's cheaper to call a tug on the extremely rare occasion things go wrong near anything to hit?

ylop

Visit site
After I wrote that I heard an interview on BBC sounds with someone from the MCA. He said they had "prepared their anchor to deploy". He didn't say if they had tried or not.

Its a calculation though isn't it - drifting towards a rock but if we breathe in and cross our fingers we might clear it, or we can drop our anchor which we don't think will stop us but it may slow us down and prolong our period in the 'danger zone'. Could it even mean you become more likely to hit it? I'm sceptical that a ships anchor on something with that windage is going to do much to slow the drift unless its actually sitting flat on the bottom - but I may be wrong.