Without Wishing to

oldgit

Visit site
cause a riot..........
Looking at the tales of woe regards lock problems, has the time come finally to grasp the funding nettle.
The entire lock/weir system is just a hang over from the 19th Century with some added elektrickery.
Everything mechanical is simply worn out and with a staffing system that should have died out when they stopped shoving kids down mines.
A feeling of an entitlement to a Champagne system and only prepared to pay beer money.
Whinge all you want about the management and lockies cutting the grass while you sit on your boat waiting for somebody to operate the lock.
CaRT has just lost £300M in funding, doubt the EA will fare much better.
Something has got to give ?
M25 traffic volumes using a single track byway, time to limit the number of vessels on the navigation or a marine Ulez, pay more to enter the pounds on more popular bits of the navigation ie. Hampton Court or Henley esp over Bank Holiday peak periods .
Easy Jet could probably offer some free tips .

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
Having just spent a week on the Canal du midi whose aging lock system is fully functioning with lock keepers at everyone I’m afraid I disagree with some of your comments ;)

I’m sticking to Tedd where it’s manned 24/7!

I’m already reading reports of more locks broken today and I have to get my boat back from Hambleden on Sat. I have no issue with self-service but there needs to be consistency.

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
I'm now paying over £1000 which isn't really beer money!
I think most of us would be happy if they just spent what they have well but generally it all seems to be wasted, silly valves on taps, traffic lights at Boulters that never work because the solar panel is under a tree etc... but they can't even replace a £50 channel marker on a bridge. I could go on but the neglect is there for all to see and its not all down to money.

harvey38

Visit site
Unfortunately, like most "Businesses/companies/Government bodies" call them what you will, a lot of consumers paying in but more money being taking out/funding other areas.

We purchased our boat and planned to move it from Ramsgate to a marina on the Thames where we have kept our three previous boats. When we saw how much the river and facilities had deteriorated, the river frequently on red boards, locks unmanned or out of service, a huge hike in licence and marina fees, the decision had been made for us.

So sad as we have great memories of the Thames travelling from Lechlade to Shepperton numerous times.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
I'm now paying over £1000 which isn't really beer money!
I think most of us would be happy if they just spent what they have well but generally it all seems to be wasted, silly valves on taps, traffic lights at Boulters that never work because the solar panel is under a tree etc... but they can't even replace a £50 channel marker on a bridge. I could go on but the neglect is there for all to see and its not all down to money.
£20.00 Three pints of posh lager,3 gallons of diesel or a packet of fags per week.
Some of us from the rough end of boating managed to fill 2 X 60 gallon tanks at Moseley Lock in a perfectly acceptable time.
The 21st century is on its way even unto The Thames.🤔

billskip

Visit site
I must admit I do miss the Thames, I enjoyed my long weekend going up as far as possible and back from Shepperton. I only did Lechlade once, but many holidays spent up to Osney bridge (couldn't get under with the Princess...

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The River is lovely.

I think the existence of the internet has a tendency to make things look worse than they are. There will always been breakdowns from time to time. Nothing new.

EA is in a parlous state but they do still manage to keep things generally working.

I've not been up or down from Cookham much this yar (why would you) but may take the launch for a jaunt up to Oxford at some stage for inspections.

I expect to find things much as they have been for a number of yars.

Descent into hell is an often promoted idea but I don't think it is accurate.

Time will tell.

Time Out

Visit site
Actually had a very pleasant run down today from Hambleden to Penton single handed.

Only two on self service but most folk being sensible and I only had to solo one lock.

Only monster queue was catching up with the ADLS Veterans Day flotilla at Penton. However that’s one queue I don’t mind being in.