Winterisation in Greece

overstag

Visit site
After having sailed in The Netherlands for the last 30 years, I will buy a yacht in Greece this month.
Still undecided wether to leave it in dry storage in Preveza or in Olympic marina, Lavrio. But that's a different story...

I did some searching on the boards, but I couldn't find anything on this subject. When storing the boat on the hard in Greece, do people generally winterise their boat? That is, protect the engine, lavatory and drinking water system against frost? Is this necessary in Greece's climate?

Thanks.

overstag

Visit site
Okay, thanks for the advice. Definately not a millionaire. Any advice on another location near Athens airport? Besides Aegina?
How about the winterisation issue? Necessary in Greece, do you think?

JonJon

Visit site
Certainly no problem with frost in my 6 years in Preveza. Who knows what global warming will do in the future tho.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Our boats been in Greece for the past few years, sometimes with us on board, other times on the hard at Preveza. Never known the temperatures to approach freezing for anything other than a few hours at a time and even then it didn't get cold enough to produce even a light ground frost. So, we've never bothered to do any winterisation.

macd

Visit site
Greece may get the odd frost at sea level, but not deep enough nor enduring enough to cause damage except possibly in the extreme NE where you won't be. That said, indirectly-cooled engines should be winterised in much the same way as in colder climes: a run-through with antifreeze will reduce internal corrosion as well as inhibiting freezing.

A few tabs of sterlising agent in the water tank is wise, then run some of it through the taps. Pump the loo dry.

A special issue with much of Greece, and certainly Preveza, is wasps, although there won't be many around now until the spring. They love to build nests in crannies, so block any holes, above and below water, with rags. (But, depending on how your decks drain, it might be wise not to block their exits.)
It's still prudent to leave some means of ventilation, so any apertures left partially open should be sealed with mesh or mozzie screen material. If all that fails, you can console yourself next spring by admiring the architecture of wasp nests: clever, varied and beautiful. ;)

It can rain very heavily in the Ionian winter, so make sure everything can handle it.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We're in Croatia which is a couple of hundred miles north of Prevesa and I've never seen anyone winterising their engine and we don't. Boats are usually left in the water and the Adriatic / Aegean never get anywhere near zero.

Richard

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We're in Croatia which is a couple of hundred miles north of Prevesa and I've never seen anyone winterising their engine and we don't. Boats are usually left in the water and the Adriatic / Aegean never get anywhere near zero.

Richard

About four years ago I was asked specifically to talk about winterising at the CA Mediterranean forum after several members whose boats were wintered in Croatia suffered frost damage there. I understand that this was a rare event but 'never' is a risky word.

AndrewB

Visit site
About four years ago I was asked specifically to talk about winterising at the CA Mediterranean forum after several members whose boats were wintered in Croatia suffered frost damage there. I understand that this was a rare event but 'never' is a risky word.
Yes, likewise Greece. The Ionian is relatively mild, but there have been 8 recorded days of frost in Preveza over the last 15 years (5 of these in 2004). However day-time temperatures have never remained below zero. So 'light' winterising seems a sensible precaution. In any case one must protect against rain, wind and humidity; also algae, diesel bug, milddew and other creatures seeking refuge. What I do is:

- new antifreeze in the engine/calorifier,
- change engine oil,
- drain any water from the diesel tank and fill,
- change/clean fuel filters,
- empty the fresh water system,
- put bunk cushions up for circulation,
- leave fridge door open,
- remove sails and leave lightly folded on bunks,
- grease furling gear, winches and other moving parts outside,
- check for, and seal off any suspected minor leaks e.g. around ports,
- lash halliards,
- leave batteries on charge from the solar panel,
- flush and empty the outboard,
- pump dry heads and bilges (tho' seawater most unlikely to freeze),
- close seacocks (except cockpit), block exhaust pipe.

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Yes, likewise Greece. The Ionian is relatively mild, but there have been 8 recorded days of frost in Preveza over the last 15 years (5 of these in January, 2004). However day-time temperatures have never remained below zero.

Although I did refer to the sea temperature never getting down to zero which is the most important issue if you keep your boat afloat. I would hazard a guess that the sea temperature in Preveza has never gone down to zero?

Richard

billcole

Visit site
I left a max/min thermometer on my saloon table onshore in Ionian Marine at Preveza the other year, only a cheap £5 one so maybe not totally accurate, but the min registered was -1C and the max +59C

Bill

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Preveza, haul boat, empty loo's ( Although in summer the last dregs of water will evaporate soon enough. ) Antifreeze check in engine, fridge open and swabbed with bleach, all canvas and sails folded and stowed or taken home for winter. covers on, block all through hulls ( wasps nest inside them ) with foam rubber, plugs or tape. Batteries disconnected or on solar charge.

Has worked for two boats over 20 plus years.

It does get SOB cold when the North Easters blow off the mountains but the real winter problem is rain, lots of it.